Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Nov 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3938314)   #51
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Picture three is a car that has some of the characteristics of a Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger
hardly surprising, Mike!
Old 3 Nov 2019, 15:57 (Ref:3938318)   #52
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I make it 1 , Invicta S Type ( Trevor Swete ) , 2 , Riley Brooklands , 3 , Sunbeam Alpine ( Keith Hampson ) , 4 , GN Thunderbug ( Mark Walker ) , 5 , Napier Bentley ( Chris Williams ) and 6 , ERA E Type ( Duncan Ricketts ) .
Old 3 Nov 2019, 16:07 (Ref:3938319)   #53
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
hardly surprising, Mike!

Actually getting one of your picture clues correct, I take as a huge result.
Old 3 Nov 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3938323)   #54
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
I make it 1 , Invicta S Type ( Trevor Swete ) , 2 , Riley Brooklands , 3 , Sunbeam Alpine ( Keith Hampson ) , 4 , GN Thunderbug ( Mark Walker ) , 5 , Napier Bentley ( Chris Williams ) and 6 , ERA E Type ( Duncan Ricketts ) .
Very Good GC, but what is the 7th. make?
I suppose many here will never have heard of it - far too young.
Old 3 Nov 2019, 16:58 (Ref:3938324)   #55
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Actually getting one of your picture clues correct, I take as a huge result.
Are they that bad then Mike?
Old 3 Nov 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3938327)   #56
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Are they that bad then Mike?

No, Bob, in fact they are great. It's just that I'm usually clueless!
Old 3 Nov 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3938328)   #57
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just back from Silverstone so a bit late joining in on this one, but the 7th is Singer.
Old 3 Nov 2019, 17:53 (Ref:3938332)   #58
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Sorry Baub , missed the bit about the seventh make - lack of concentration due to helping Mrs Cheddaris make Christmas Lanterns for the local craft fair next week .
Old 3 Nov 2019, 18:45 (Ref:3938337)   #59
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Just back from Silverstone so a bit late joining in on this one, but the 7th is Singer.
Right.

Sorry Baub , missed the bit about the seventh make - lack of concentration due to helping Mrs Cheddaris make Christmas Lanterns for the local craft fair next week .

Our RBS is the quiz wizard.

Sunbem, Invicta, Napier GN, ERA, Riley,
Old 3 Nov 2019, 18:57 (Ref:3938338)   #60
bauble
Veteran

England
Probably easy for some, but maybe the younkers might struggle;
What links these cars?
Attached Thumbnails
Alta 1.JPG   Alta 2.JPG   Alta 3.jpg  

Alta 4.JPG   Alta 5.JPG   IMG_1702.JPG  

Old 4 Nov 2019, 00:37 (Ref:3938411)   #61
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They are all Altas, probably 2 litres?
Geoffrey Taylor would also be a common link to them all.
Old 4 Nov 2019, 00:46 (Ref:3938412)   #62
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Notice my old 2 litre Alta LHD sports car in last lot
Sold to Germany in 1938 and only LHD Alta built
We won Oldtimers with it

As far as Bentley is concerned. 95 % of Bentleys that race are specials so I just call them specials
Old 4 Nov 2019, 07:29 (Ref:3938444)   #63
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
They are all Altas, probably 2 litres?
Geoffrey Taylor would also be a common link to them all.
Not quite right EB, there is a Cooper, and a Connaught in there as well as ……!
Old 4 Nov 2019, 07:35 (Ref:3938446)   #64
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Notice my old 2 litre Alta LHD sports car in last lot
Sold to Germany in 1938 and only LHD Alta built
We won Oldtimers with it

As far as Bentley is concerned. 95 % of Bentleys that race are specials so I just call them specials
I have several of the Alta, John if you wanted copies I will happily send you them.

Re-Bentleys, I see your point, but having decided to 'hide' the Singer I discovered that I could not find any marque starting with an N. The E also caused me problems as apart from ERA only Ermini came to mind and I already used my one picture in an earlier batch.

Still as the man purpose of this thread is for me to show off it does not really matter.

Another puzzle is on the way.
Old 4 Nov 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3938458)   #65
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I think you are doing a good job!
Educating the masses on what used to be.
Keep it going.
Have owned four of the six two litre Altas built ,five were supercharged and one without.
Taken us years to do anything with the unblown car so a win in MRL race at Spa this year and last years Flying Scotsman first proved Mr Taylor knew what he was doing and laid foundation for Cooper,Chapman and Broadley to follow.
Old 4 Nov 2019, 09:18 (Ref:3938462)   #66
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
I think you are doing a good job!
Educating the masses on what used to be.
Keep it going.
Have owned four of the six two litre Altas built ,five were supercharged and one without.
Taken us years to do anything with the unblown car so a win in MRL race at Spa this year and last years Flying Scotsman first proved Mr Taylor knew what he was doing and laid foundation for Cooper, Chapman and Broadley to follow.
I always admired Geoffrey Taylor as a lad, even though I knew little about him, because of the number of engines he produced when virtually every other British marque used propriety power units tuned up. MG, Ford, etc.

I suppose that as this is the Historic Forum, and me being Vintage, my efforts reflect that. I have little doubt that most here would recognise a Lotus 52,1/2 from a Brabham kangaroo, but I don't do those.
Old 4 Nov 2019, 09:20 (Ref:3938466)   #67
bauble
Veteran

England
On cars names starting with N, I do not have any pictures of the Twin-Boom Nardi that raced at Le Mans in the '50's.
Old 4 Nov 2019, 09:41 (Ref:3938478)   #68
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not quite right EB, there is a Cooper, and a Connaught in there as well as ……!
Whoops... I'll get my coat.
Old 4 Nov 2019, 09:49 (Ref:3938481)   #69
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Whoops... I'll get my coat.
Don't rush off EB, you were half right. You mentioned Geoffrey Taylor?
Old 4 Nov 2019, 10:25 (Ref:3938489)   #70
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
On cars names starting with N, I do not have any pictures of the Twin-Boom Nardi that raced at Le Mans in the '50's.
mmmm, the Bisiluro, or twin torpedo. I have always had a fascination with the oddballs!
Old 4 Nov 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3938494)   #71
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You both will get the reason of my question of course but how many Gordini's, Simca Gordini are racing in UK and Aus now? Do you think one or several owner could see any interest to enter the French Historic GP?
Thanks for you quizz Bob and the way you work on it. Please, go on.
No Vauxhall in your archives???
Old 4 Nov 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3938507)   #72
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
You both will get the reason of my question of course but how many Gordini's, Simca Gordini are racing in UK and Aus now? Do you think one or several owner could see any interest to enter the French Historic GP?
Gérard, I am not aware of any Gordinis or Simca Gordinis racing in Australia atm. I tried to send an email to 'Aussiefrogs' the Aussie car club for French cars (I used to be a member back in the day) to see if they knew if any existed but the mail bounced back not delivered, and their website does not load, so maybe they are no more.

We have plenty of later stuff like Alpine Renaults here but nothing I am aware of that is the era you seek.
I know we have a couple of Talbot GP cars here, one owned by Vern Schuppan, who races his regularly at Phillip Island Historics, but that doesnt help much.
Old 4 Nov 2019, 14:38 (Ref:3938541)   #73
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
At least two Gordinis have been raced in the last couple of seasons . Eddie McGuire has raced his Gordini T23S sparingly but raced it as recently as last season at the GP de Historique at Monaco . Eddie is a Dublin architect as far as I know and not the Australian TV personality !

Marc Valvekens has raced his ex Robert Manzon Gordini T16 at both Goodwood and with the HGPCA over the years . He raced it at least twice this year , at Goodwood's Members Meeting in April where he went off at St Mary's and at the Zandvoort Historic GP where he raced with the HGPCA .
Old 4 Nov 2019, 15:16 (Ref:3938543)   #74
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
At least two Gordinis have been raced in the last couple of seasons . Eddie McGuire has raced his Gordini T23S sparingly but raced it as recently as last season at the GP de Historique at Monaco . Eddie is a Dublin architect as far as I know and not the Australian TV personality !

Marc Valvekens has raced his ex Robert Manzon Gordini T16 at both Goodwood and with the HGPCA over the years . He raced it at least twice this year , at Goodwood's Members Meeting in April where he went off at St Mary's and at the Zandvoort Historic GP where he raced with the HGPCA .
Howzat!
Attached Thumbnails
059.JPG   IMG_3655.JPG  
Old 4 Nov 2019, 15:21 (Ref:3938544)   #75
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Well taken sir !