Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: What do you think of the reverse grid?
It's a joke, get rid of it 14 73.68%
I reckon it's great. 3 15.79%
I don't know 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Jun 2001, 10:14 (Ref:104315)   #51
MadMick
Rookie

MadMick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
G'day mac

No probs mate, like I said we are all entitled to our opinions and now it seems ours dont differ that much.

It looks like we all think the points system is a bit suss and I can only hope they do something to fix it.

At this stage I think Racetime is the only one that understands it !! <g>.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 10:17 (Ref:104317)   #52
MadMick
Rookie

G'day Racey

Looking at those figures there really isnt much difference between the two apart from the fact that Skaife was taken out of the second race in Canberra.

I really don't care who wins the championship as long as its Skaife or Bright
Old 12 Jun 2001, 10:27 (Ref:104323)   #53
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you look at them closely, it is a bit more than one race - Bright, when he has finished in the top ten, has been in the top 3 or 4 - Skaife on the other hand is slightly lower down. When out of the top 5, Brght still have the higher finishing positions - and this is bringing home the points.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 10:37 (Ref:104328)   #54
MadMick
Rookie

G'day Racey

I see and hear what you are saying, but IMHO only , I still prefer to see the guy's out there trying to win the races and not consistently finish 3rd & 4th like Glenn Seaton did last year and then turn around and win one major race and the championship. I know Glenn failed last year but if he had won Bathurst and Skaife DNF he would have won it and that to me is not what its all about.

I might be alone in this way of thinking but I for one go to the races to see my " hero's" win , and im sure most others at the track do the same.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 10:40 (Ref:104329)   #55
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with that Madmick
Glenn Seton seems to frightened every time some gets behind him and goes out of his way to make it easy to pass look at last week end when he let 3 cars through in the one spot and did not fight for his position
Old 12 Jun 2001, 11:28 (Ref:104350)   #56
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMick
I still prefer to see the guy's out there trying to win the races and not consistently finish 3rd & 4th like Glenn Seaton did last year and then turn around and win one major race and the championship. I know Glenn failed last year but if he had won Bathurst and Skaife DNF he would have won it and that to me is not what its all about.
Bright isn't out there just trying to come 2nd, 3rd or 10th - he, like the others, is out there trying to win BUT he is getting the higher finishing positions than Skaife - there can only be one winner and 31 losers - unfortunately Skaife is losing more than Bright over all.

As for the Seton analogy - that is part of motor racing - many F1 championships have also been lost the same way - two (or three) drivers go into the last rast each knowing that to win they have to win (or place highly) and their opponent has to either finish below a certain position or DNF. Hs happened in the past and will happen many times in the future.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 12:54 (Ref:104409)   #57
MadMick
Rookie

G'day Racey

No No , I wasnt trying to say that Bright is not trying to win, or anyone else for that matter, I just meant that I prefer to see them win the races and try to win 100%.

I realise with the points system that championships will be won and lost regardless of whether you win every race or not and I suppose in a way that brings the teams in to play even more so.

To be perfectly honest I wouldnt mind seeing Glenn Seaton win the championship, I think he will start to lose interest if he dont do it soon.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 02:39 (Ref:104592)   #58
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In Formula 1, second place is worth only 60% of a win. In V8 Supercars the gap between first and the other places is fairly minimal in percentage terms. If we want to see them going all out for a win and not justing coasting and collecting, we need a big points gap for winning races.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 02:58 (Ref:104601)   #59
MadMick
Rookie

G'day David

Well I for one would rather see that points system introduced, after all it is a race and the idea is still to win yes ??
Old 13 Jun 2001, 03:08 (Ref:104602)   #60
RaceTime
Veteran

There are pros and cons for both methods of points. The biggest drawback for the current system is that it pays out points to 32nd position REGARDLESS of whether the car is running or not and, as has already been seen in the Konica Series, if a number of cars do NOT complete lap 1, they are arbitrarily allocated positions. I fully expect, if the Konica series finishes with less than 20 points between 1st and 2nd to head for the courts because of the recent Winton round..