Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Jun 2015, 21:21 (Ref:3555031)   #126
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I haven't researched the increase in overall speed, and maybe this has been discussed.

Won't faster GTLM cars make PC, delta wing and the Mazdas that much more irritating?
Irritating meaning left in the dust. Yes! And that is a good thing. The higher up the overall grid the GTLM cars are the better.2016 will be an awesome year. P and LMPC will be the same or slower I think. GTLM will be faster. GT3 is coming in.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 22:22 (Ref:3555039)   #127
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
If only the new Aston would look like this!

[Vulcan at Goodwood]
Old 30 Jun 2015, 22:33 (Ref:3555042)   #128
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
^lol

How terrible of an idea would it be to drastically lower the overall pace of GT3? Thinking back to GT1/GT2 days, the top GT2 cars would never challenge the top GT1 cars at any point of the circuit. I might be wrong, but I can't say the same for GTE and GT3.

Knock GT3 down a few pegs. It should make the class less expensive, safer for the Ring, and having GT3 and GTE cars on the same track a non-issue.

Stupid idea?
Nope, i like that idea but in the GT1/GT2 days it was an easy sell. The cars that GT2 racecars were developed from had no more than 500bhp so restricting them to around 475-450bhp still kept things relatively similer to the road cars. Now the GT3 cars are developed from roadcars with alot of power (the Mclaren 600+) so asking them to reduce power by quite abit wouldnt sit well. After all, who wants to spend the best part of £200k+ for a race car with alot less power than the road car?

I loved the old GT1/GT2 days but i dont think they are ever coming back.
Old 1 Jul 2015, 01:08 (Ref:3555075)   #129
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
After all, who wants to spend the best part of £200k+ for a race car with alot less power than the road car?
That is also the problem with the nearly $1million GTE cars today. Seems so wrong to reduce a street cars power so it can race....
Old 1 Jul 2015, 04:21 (Ref:3555103)   #130
Pole2Win
Rookie

Brazil
Pole2Win should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I think we can move BMW up to the 'expected' category (IMSA only):

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...-to-churn.html
I don't think the ACO would oppose it racing at LM, considering it isn't a Frankenstein like the Z4, but BMW is allergic to LM.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 21:03 (Ref:3555472)   #131
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some interesting things i picked up on from Radio Le Mans, Midweek Motorsport show.

- The Ford GTE looks almost like a prototype back engineered for the road? The guys seemed to think it could move the posts significantly, and everyone else might have to do some head scratching (unless some kindof BOP comes into effect i guess).

- We might not see the new Ferrari 488 for 'some time' as it has experienced some not insignificant teething troubles.

On an aside note to Pole2Win, i dont see the ACO letting the BMW M67 GT3 race at Le Mans precisely because it is that a GT3, its not built to the the GTE regulations.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 21:12 (Ref:3555475)   #132
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having illegal machinery hasn't prevented ACO from allowing them to pass scrutineering in the last five years...

The head scratching point makes no sense today in this class. The last time there was actual "head stratcher" was with 458 when they had superior direct injection to everyone elses stuff, and there the fun only lasted for half a season before ACO bopped everyone else up and penalised them for having that genuinely earned road car relevance. Same will happen here, though I strongly suspect Detroit offices of Ford - particularly next year with the anniversary - have better negotiating power than semi-works Ferrari had.

What was the last actual GT car that did cause some head scratching as a whole, when it was allowed to? Must've been over a decade ago.

Anyway I'm not suprised by the apparent issues Ferrari has had. 458 wasn't exactly hurried up either. Don't remember how it was with 430

Last edited by Deleted; 2 Jul 2015 at 21:17.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 22:38 (Ref:3555499)   #133
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Somewhat true. But the Z4 has never ran at Le Mans.
Old 3 Jul 2015, 01:11 (Ref:3555513)   #134
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Regarding the September test for 2016 bop, does anybody know if this is mandatory? What happens if you can't make it? The ACO surely wouldn't keep a car off the grid for this, would they?
Old 3 Jul 2015, 01:18 (Ref:3555514)   #135
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningview66 View Post
Some interesting things i picked up on from Radio Le Mans, Midweek Motorsport show.

- The Ford GTE looks almost like a prototype back engineered for the road? The guys seemed to think it could move the posts significantly, and everyone else might have to do some head scratching (unless some kindof BOP comes into effect i guess).

- We might not see the new Ferrari 488 for 'some time' as it has experienced some not insignificant teething troubles.

On an aside note to Pole2Win, i dont see the ACO letting the BMW M67 GT3 race at Le Mans precisely because it is that a GT3, its not built to the the GTE regulations.
I sense Turbo issues with the 488. I can't see any other reason for the car to be delayed especially considering the system similarity to the 458 in the other categories.
Old 3 Jul 2015, 01:20 (Ref:3555515)   #136
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The new ford at first glance looks to be a VERY aerodynamically slippery car. Interesting comments.
Old 5 Jul 2015, 14:00 (Ref:3555928)   #137
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just seen on another part of the forum news of an AC Cobra GTE.

https://www.facebook.com/ACCorbaMoto...e=1&permPage=1

Cant say I had heard anything about this project before, can anyone confirm is this is for real and if there are any more details flying around?
Old 5 Jul 2015, 17:40 (Ref:3555968)   #138
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Mt. Lynx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They say GTE now? When this started a couple of years ago, the target was GT3. I wouldn't read too much into it.
Old 5 Jul 2015, 18:19 (Ref:3555978)   #139
AndrewCherry
Racer

European Union
Horsham
AndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That looks like the fakest thing I've seen for a long time. I'd love it to be real but... Given that their facebook page is under ACCorbaMotorsport... You'd think they'd spell Cobra right if they were up to the level of organisation needed for a full GT effort?
Old 5 Jul 2015, 18:23 (Ref:3555980)   #140
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCherry View Post
You'd think they'd spell Cobra right if they were up to the level of organisation needed for a full GT effort?
Haha good catch
Old 5 Jul 2015, 18:23 (Ref:3555981)   #141
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lynx View Post
They say GTE now? When this started a couple of years ago, the target was GT3. I wouldn't read too much into it.
Endurance-info informed about this project in august of the last year.
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/ac-...en-gte-et-gt3/
Old 5 Jul 2015, 21:24 (Ref:3556003)   #142
Pole2Win
Rookie

Brazil
Quote:
MC12 situation all over again?

Quote:
BMW could adapt the car to GTE but the engine would need reduction in displacement to fit the regs. The S63 is 4.4L twin turbo and the regs only allow 4.0L. I doubt Ferrari and Ford would be ok with giving a waiver to BMW in this case when their own cars pass homologation.
Old 5 Jul 2015, 21:32 (Ref:3556004)   #143
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn´t Corvette and Viper had waivers to reduce their engines displacement?
Old 5 Jul 2015, 21:51 (Ref:3556006)   #144
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
Didn´t Corvette and Viper had waivers to reduce their engines displacement?
actually c6r gt2 used a 6.0L (500cc over the 5.5L limit) only during the second half of 2009 ALMS, basically it was the same engine from the c6r GT1 destroked to 6000cc. The viper gte engine is a 8L (from 8.4L) but I guess it was impossible for SRT and riley to destroke a V10 from 8L to 5.5L... beyond that, you know... rules are made to be broken!

anyway I bet that with an official BMW effort, ACO and IMSA will be happy to accept their 4.4L... for sure the turbo pressure will be bopped down.
Old 5 Jul 2015, 22:52 (Ref:3556025)   #145
Pole2Win
Rookie

Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
The viper gte engine is a 8L (from 8.4L) but I guess it was impossible for SRT and riley to destroke a V10 from 8L to 5.5L... beyond that, you know... rules are made to be broken!
They probably could do that, but they would lose the biggest advantage of the 8L (torque).
Old 5 Jul 2015, 22:56 (Ref:3556028)   #146
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCherry View Post
That looks like the fakest thing I've seen for a long time. I'd love it to be real but... Given that their facebook page is under ACCorbaMotorsport... You'd think they'd spell Cobra right if they were up to the level of organisation needed for a full GT effort?
It is only in the URL ID though, could be a genuine typo.

On the info page there is an email address and the domain in it leads to nowhere... http://accobramotorsport.com
Old 5 Jul 2015, 23:37 (Ref:3556034)   #147
AndrewCherry
Racer

European Union
Horsham
AndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It could be, but I can't imagine anyone who actually had rights to use the Cobra name, etc. getting something like that wrong. No real website? Nothing but some fairly low quality renders? I will remain unconvinced for now that it's anything but someone playing around!

I'd love to see another GT of any ilk out to play, I hope they prove me wrong!
Old 5 Jul 2015, 23:45 (Ref:3556035)   #148
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Maybe it is a case similar to people doing fake celebrity profiles and pretending to be the celebs
Old 6 Jul 2015, 00:05 (Ref:3556045)   #149
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Somewhat true. But the Z4 has never ran at Le Mans.
But the M3 GT2 did, with transaxle layout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole2Win View Post
MC12 situation all over again?
MC12 didn't meet GT1 regs (dimensions, as far as I recall). Ford GT supposedly meets the new GTP regs.
Old 6 Jul 2015, 01:34 (Ref:3556079)   #150
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The #4 Corvette set a pole time at Daytona this year at 1 min 43.5 sec. What do you think could be the GTLM pole time in 2016 with the new specs? I think the GT3 cars even on Conti's will be in the 44's.