Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:27 (Ref:914029)   #51
Junior Senior
Racer

Junior Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole thing with marshals putting their arms arounds drivers winds me up.
If a driver has just rolled 3 times and had to be helped from his car then by all means give the guy/gal a hand, but when someone has pulled off the track and got out under their own steam, obviously with the hump, then leave the guy/gal alone, its not as if they are going to stand in the middle of the track to watch...........
Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:34 (Ref:914035)   #52
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suppose at the end of the day we can't really judge this so called "incident".

How would we react if we retired from a certain 3rd place with a recurring failure, watching our championship slip away, still pumped full of adrenaline and a marshal put his arm round us.

I bet the majority of us would lose our tempers a little bit.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:48 (Ref:914053)   #53
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yeah but seriously hitting out like that is not the best behaviour.... is Kimi really 'the ice man'?

Its not the marshall's fault that Kimi retired probably shown a little more respect... maybe a punch to Norbet Haug would be more appropriate..
Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:52 (Ref:914058)   #54
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
The ice-pick man.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:52 (Ref:914059)   #55
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
maybe he should have hit Norbert Haug....
Oh, that's alright then. Great conduct.

If I hadn't watched the race and judged it by this thread, I'd be under the impression that Kimi flattened the marshal with a flying clothesline. And then stamped on his face.

Did the marshal react? Did he run home to his mum crying? No.

I'm all for giving marshals respect, but this is ridiculous. Nothing happened of note at all, and the marshal probably barely noticed!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 21 Mar 2004 at 16:56.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:54 (Ref:914062)   #56
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Without the marshal's, the likes of Kimi can't race, ergo, can't earn their millions.
I agree 100% with Mr V. At Sepang it was clear that KR was off because Jenson Button dominated him on track. Kimi might not be as 'cool' as some people portray him to be. His statements this season have irked Ron Dennis (He's been eve more vocal than JPM usually is). His body language in pits has been irritating to observers and fans alike. After last year, he thought he was the next best thing in f1 but when Ron Dennis signed JPM this year, it became clear to Kimi that the Mac think-tank is not exactly satisfied with him. Kimi is just another point-collector but not ready for a championship.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:55 (Ref:914069)   #57
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess Kimi was quite peed off. It was nothing serious. I suppose some people got hyped up about it because KR is quite a restrained and quiet guy.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:58 (Ref:914071)   #58
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe that so much is being made of this minor matter, the marshall tugged Kimi's arm & Kimi shrugged him off nothing more to it.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:58 (Ref:914072)   #59
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Oh, that's alright then. Great conduct.
oh sorry forgot to add a smiley after the hitting Norbert part... meant it as a joke...
Old 21 Mar 2004, 17:01 (Ref:914076)   #60
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
I agree 100% with Mr V. At Sepang it was clear that KR was off because Jenson Button dominated him on track. Kimi might not be as 'cool' as some people portray him to be. His statements this season have irked Ron Dennis (He's been eve more vocal than JPM usually is). His body language in pits has been irritating to observers and fans alike. After last year, he thought he was the next best thing in f1 but when Ron Dennis signed JPM this year, it became clear to Kimi that the Mac think-tank is not exactly satisfied with him. Kimi is just another point-collector but not ready for a championship.
Let me guess! You're not a Kimi fan and this seemed like a good opportunity to bash the guy!
Don't look now but I think your bias is showing
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 21 Mar 2004, 17:07 (Ref:914079)   #61
freud
Veteran

Attack the post, not the poster..OK!

I watch F1 foe the love of sport not for the love of any 'individual'. Maybe thats why I dont blindly follow any driver.

Back again to the topic. KR is not as cool as many portray him to be. Time and again he's shown his hot-headedness and there's nothing wrong with it. Its just that the label of 'Iceman' is just WRONG. OK!!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 17:26 (Ref:914092)   #62
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
My apologies if you felt attacked!
But I think your Post should have contained a few 'IMO's as you state that Kimi was ****ed off because he was "dominated" by Button. Please! Button did appear to have the better of him today, but "dominated" is a massive stretch. As for stating how Dennis feels about Raikonnen, or even how Kimi feels about himself without proof to back it up. I'm afraid that just comes across like a "Bash"
But then that is just my opinion.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 21 Mar 2004, 17:34 (Ref:914098)   #63
freud
Veteran

Well your opinion is not entirely wrong... Its just wrong to call someone an 'Iceman' while he is not.

Also, Kimi is just extremely lucky to get that superlicense from the FIA and driving a Mac. IMO much better and talented drivers like Webber, Fisichella and Button have inferior cars and I would just love to see them in a Mac. But then again that is just my opinion.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 17:38 (Ref:914102)   #64
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mountain out of a molehill....
Old 21 Mar 2004, 17:41 (Ref:914106)   #65
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Fair enough! However I think their all extremely lucky to be driving in F1, and the rest is talent. Or money!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 17:52 (Ref:914118)   #66
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
Well your opinion is not entirely wrong... Its just wrong to call someone an 'Iceman' while he is not.

Also, Kimi is just extremely lucky to get that superlicense from the FIA and driving a Mac. IMO much better and talented drivers like Webber, Fisichella and Button have inferior cars and I would just love to see them in a Mac. But then again that is just my opinion.
Lucky!!
Were you very busy on Sundays last year? Kimi only become within a few points of being WDC in a car that was almost two years old by the end of the season. How can you say he was lucky to get the drive at Mclaren. Rod Paid a huge sum of money to Peter Sauber to buy Kimi out of his contract. Why? Because he is hugly talented and has the results to prove it. A fact not an opinion.

Last edited by hamsmith; 21 Mar 2004 at 17:55.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 17:54 (Ref:914119)   #67
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
q

Last edited by hamsmith; 21 Mar 2004 at 17:54.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 17:55 (Ref:914120)   #68
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin Brundle said it himself (as a driver) a totally NATURAL reaction.

Btw, if some guy grabbed my ass when I got out of my car, I would put my fist through his head.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 18:06 (Ref:914134)   #69
freud
Veteran

hamsmith - well, lets just not go into 'how*deserving*is*kimi*?' debate. A superlicense is given because of sponsorships and deals, not talent. Saying that I have nothing against Kimi.. obviously he's a very talented young bloke.. How good is he as compared to the likes of Webber, Fisichella, Alonso or Button, I cant say for sure. My ten cents worth is that he is not as good as Webber, Alonso and Button, though probably better than the aged Fisichella. Anyway, that's just my opinion...
Old 21 Mar 2004, 18:18 (Ref:914142)   #70
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's keep this on topic, this is not a 'how good is Kimi?' thread but one on today's reaction when he retired from today's race...

Obviously the ideal reaction is NO reaction, but I think the mix of emotions and general race conditions led to Kimi not wanting marshall's 'hassling' (as he saw it for that split second) him the second he stepped out of the car, that was how I read it, not that it was a deliberate, act it was a heat of the moment push away which said 'leave alone for a second'.

It was a split second moment, which probably everyone 'involved' has forgotten.....
Old 21 Mar 2004, 18:22 (Ref:914148)   #71
freud
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer

It was a split second moment, which probably everyone 'involved' has forgotten.....
probably not possibly... I just learnt that Marshalls are investigating and might hand a fine to Kimi.

If the heat of the moment gets to you, it just shows that you are not 'cool' enough. Period.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 18:57 (Ref:914170)   #72
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, Kimi said , for the marshall trying to dislocate his arm, 'Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!' Then he hit the McLaren with his fists and yelled: 'YOU BLEW IT UP. DAMN YOU. GOD DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!

Last edited by 429CJ; 21 Mar 2004 at 18:59.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 21 Mar 2004, 19:13 (Ref:914181)   #73
freud
Veteran

**YAWN** *sniff*

I just hope the poor bloke doesnt get fined.. he did lose his cool but that can happen to anyone.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 19:45 (Ref:914201)   #74
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 429CJ
Actually, Kimi said , for the marshall trying to dislocate his arm, 'Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!' Then he hit the McLaren with his fists and yelled: 'YOU BLEW IT UP. DAMN YOU. GOD DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!

Way to break-up the "seriousness" of the situation!

A fine, for brushing off the corner worker? For goodness sakes, the guy is trying to become the WDC in the worlds most watched sport, and alittle emotion coming from a guy who I thought, didn't have any, is not a bad thing. It shows that he cares, and losing bothers him. I wasn't sure if it did, before this very minor incident.

Danica Patrick
Old 21 Mar 2004, 19:59 (Ref:914212)   #75
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
This is political correctness gone crazy! Get A Life!
The Marshal did touch kimi by the arm, Kimi who was already behind the barrier shook his grip off with a push (not a violent one and continued walking away. Brundle made the comment that it was a completely normal human reaction. It was. Find something more constructive to post about.