Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2004, 19:59 (Ref:914213)   #76
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should have seen him after he lost the race at Magny Cours when he spun on McNish's oil. He looked seriously unhappy about losing that one. He sure wasn't celebrating on the podium.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 21 Mar 2004, 20:32 (Ref:914243)   #77
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and if it was you...would you be celebrating???
Old 21 Mar 2004, 20:36 (Ref:914246)   #78
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior21
And they call him the Iceman? Sounds to me like another spoiled kid!
I think he was extremely annoyed and disapointed at that point. He had just lost a podium finish.

I think that's not the normal Kimmi.
He may be young, but he certainly doesn't act like a spoiled child.

He is supposed to be one of the top championship contenders.
He didn't score any point last race, partly because of mechanical problems (although he was probably set for 9th place).
This time he worked very hard, had a secure podium position, but still *behind* both Michael and Montoya.

And then the engine blows ...

I think it was pure disapointment that made him forget to pull off the track earlier.
And at such a moment, the last thing you want to do is to listen to a marshall that is trying to help you (or talking to you for some other reason).

I'm certain that Kimmi would apologise to the marshall for this, if he gets the chance.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 20:40 (Ref:914255)   #79
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by F1Pete
...and if it was you...would you be celebrating???
I was using that race as an example of his competitivness, and his desire for wins. Which is also illustrated in his fiery reaction after retiring today!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 21 Mar 2004, 20:45 (Ref:914267)   #80
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
He had just lost a podium finish.

On the contary Don, Jenson took Kimi in the second round of pitstops and was pulling away. Sure, Kimi lost points today, but not a podium.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 20:47 (Ref:914270)   #81
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
If this thread had been started by anyone else, it'd probably be locked now.

I can't believe we've got two pages talking about an insignificant incident.
Four pages now.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 20:52 (Ref:914276)   #82
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have spent time in a white pants and shirt at the track and you expect the driver to be cranked up, they have to be to go fast. The wise marshall uses kid gloves. Did you see that guy fly when he pushed him, good thing he didn't hit him hard
Old 21 Mar 2004, 21:35 (Ref:914303)   #83
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He just pushed him away. Hardly assault and battery. Come on...
Old 21 Mar 2004, 22:24 (Ref:914367)   #84
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
You should have seen him after he lost the race at Magny Cours when he spun on McNish's oil. He looked seriously unhappy about losing that one. He sure wasn't celebrating on the podium.

I bet he called McLaren a bunch of ******s on the radio then too! Iceman my arse (No offence )
Old 21 Mar 2004, 22:51 (Ref:914391)   #85
Alfonso de Orleans
Racer

Spain
Near the Jerez race track, Spain
Alfonso de Orleans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone given it a thought that maybe the marshall only wanted to see if he was OK.

If that was the case, regardless of how pumped up you are, the reaction was rude.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 22:56 (Ref:914401)   #86
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But hey, Kimi doesn't drive a red car, so he will never do anything wrong...
Old 21 Mar 2004, 23:02 (Ref:914409)   #87
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not the first time he has done that. Even in Alesi last F1 race where he collected him during a spin he acted like it was Alesi's fault that he spun. Its not the first time I have seen him pust marshalls either. IMO, he should be strongly disciplined. He does not seem to think Marshalls deserve any respect.

Its for this reason that I was never crazy about the guy. The call him the Icaman but really he is a child. Being rich does not give anyone the right to belittle anyone else. He should be penalized.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 00:58 (Ref:914519)   #88
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Alfonso Orleans
Has anyone given it a thought that maybe the marshall only wanted to see if he was OK.

If that was the case, regardless of how pumped up you are, the reaction was rude.
I'll go along with that.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 05:54 (Ref:914651)   #89
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I thought it was pretty childish behaviour. I hope someone tells him to pull his head in in future.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 07:22 (Ref:914682)   #90
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a little naughty, but I can sort of understand his frustations.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 08:52 (Ref:914757)   #91
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can understand a marshall checking a driver's ok, but its not relevant here.

It wasn't a crash, it was a car problem.

He stopped the car and was already over the barrier when the "incident" happened.

Some people will use anything to bash any driver - this time Kimi's being targetted. Makes a chance from it being Montoya.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 09:08 (Ref:914767)   #92
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having spent 10 years + as a marshal I have learned to understand what a driver will do when they fail/crash...

More often than not they will be pumped up on adrenalin and will not be particularly approachable for a minute or two....

On the other hand the marshal in question will have been given a duty by his IO in his morning briefing and it will be his/her sole aim in life to carry out that duty because that is how marshals,lets not forget they are volunteers,work.....The most profesional volunteers in the world is how marshals are refered to by many...

So as you can see there are arguments for and against both parties....IMHO Kimi ought to issue an appology to the marshal in question and then the matter should be left alone..
Old 22 Mar 2004, 09:24 (Ref:914776)   #93
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, blackx, tuo're right; after all, penalising Kimi... how could they? His season has been a total zero up to now...
Old 22 Mar 2004, 09:37 (Ref:914787)   #94
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How else was the marshall supposed to get his attention??? The cars screaming around the track make jumbo jet like noises, thousands of fans are screaming/talking while Kimi has his helmet on with ear plugs inserted!!!!

Lets not forget that being a track marshall has been statistically more dangerous than driving over the last few years.

Im not gonna hold this against Kimi though because I quite like the guy. Having said that, I would have clocked Kimi if I was the marshall.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:06 (Ref:914942)   #95
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a simple question - it's been sad more than once in this thread that Kimi had 'secured' podium finish when he retired - wasn't he 4th??? Behind Schumacher, Montoya and Button???
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:16 (Ref:914957)   #96
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314

I would have clocked Kimi if I was the marshall.
And got a broken hand for your trouble. Kimi was wearing his helmet.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:38 (Ref:914987)   #97
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember Kimi pusing a marshall last year too, cant remember which race though, it was the same one when he jumped onto a scooter and the rider told him to put his helmet on - leading to a few heated words!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:25 (Ref:915140)   #98
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may be wrong but maybe the marshall was calling him to replace the steering wheel back to its place.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 15:05 (Ref:915188)   #99
John Abrahamsen
Rookie

John Abrahamsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
"Belted him back" is a ridiculous thing to say - and bears no relation to what happened at all.

And if you were a marshal who hit a driver, you'd not be marshalling again.
Possibly not.

But hey, I think you would get a lot of beers from friends at the bar if you hit TGF till he are all black and blue

Old 22 Mar 2004, 18:30 (Ref:915468)   #100
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
mueber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
None of the excuses work for me. The marshall was just doing his job. Whether he was doing it well is debatable, but I would assure Kimi that if he shoves another person like that again, it's gonna be very expensive.

He's an arrogant jerk, who will show amazing maturity after that.