Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Nov 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2789678)   #26
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
From the HSCC regs (but will these change for Goodwood?):

All vehicles must have FIA HTP and a Jaguar Heritage Production Record Trace Certificate to which the car must conform unrecorded modifications will not be accepted
. Continuation cars or replicas are not eligible.
Class Structure:
Class A. For Pre 66 specification cars complying with Homologation 100

Class B. For Pre 63 specification cars complying with Homologation 34

So that seems pretty clear cut. Goodwood won't be a decider coz it's not a championship, and I doubt if anyone will be counting anyway

?????? at Goodwood, most of the todays racing E's the nearest they got to Browns Lane is passing bye on the M1
Old 13 Nov 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2789787)   #27
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
Complete with rear wing of course
As it raced in Historics in the '80's.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2790022)   #28
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
As it raced in Historics in the '80's.
Why not the 60's? Warren Pearce's expression when he saw this was Priceless...
Attached Thumbnails
JohnLewishumour.jpg  
Old 14 Nov 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2790105)   #29
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
?????? at Goodwood, most of the todays racing E's the nearest they got to Browns Lane is passing bye on the M1
[/LEFT]
I wonder if there are enough legal E-types left to fill a big grid. Serious question, how long would it take to get HTP from a standing start?
Old 14 Nov 2010, 15:20 (Ref:2790232)   #30
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
I wonder if there are enough legal E-types left to fill a big grid. Serious question, how long would it take to get HTP from a standing start?
Possibly a year to build a correct FIA period E car from a Genuine chassis plate basket case with heritage certificate. Too many genuine cars have been ruined by the obsession of having power steering, air conditioning, big brakes etc and more importantly with early chassis 4-2ltr engines.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2790364)   #31
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All these things are easily put right though, so fr'instance if you had a sound, prepped car how long does it take on average to obtain the papers?
Old 14 Nov 2010, 18:28 (Ref:2790453)   #32
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Colin McKay;2789664]From the HSCC regs (but will these change for Goodwood?):

All vehicles must have FIA HTP and a Jaguar Heritage Production Record Trace Certificate to which the car must conform unrecorded modifications will not be accepted
. Continuation cars or replicas are not eligible.

[FONT=Times-Bold][SIZE=2][FONT=Times-Bold][SIZE=2]
Class Structure:
Class A. For Pre 66 specification cars complying with Homologation 100
Class B. For Pre 63 specification cars complying with Homologation 34

That is the sensible way to do it; there are too many 2009/2010 E-types around that have no more than a chassis-plate as original part, but will there be enough REAL cars without all the recent development mods????
Old 14 Nov 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2790483)   #33
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
All these things are easily put right though, so fr'instance if you had a sound, prepped car how long does it take on average to obtain the papers?
Mr.Ted Walker [Ferret] or Mr.John Howarth Mr,Martin Grant=Peterkin
are the first people I would approach for an answer to that question.
As for the rest what is the quickest you have obtained a heritage certificate from the JDHT? I have to admit it is now some 5 years since my last, but I seem to remember being a member of the JDC used to speed things up a bit 8-9 months.
Got the chassis plate, what about that little stamped aluminum plate with the commission number the one that usualy rots and falls off? and most important the chassis number stamped on the picture frame? Most picture frames have been replaced, and the replacer has forgotten to cut it out and attach to the replacement, all necessary for the provenance. I hope this is of assistance

Last edited by p261brm; 14 Nov 2010 at 19:38.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2790654)   #34
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks for the pointers. Is the heritage certificate the same document as the production record trace certificate? Last time I got one of those it only took a matter of weeks.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 22:51 (Ref:2790671)   #35
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Thanks for the pointers. Is the heritage certificate the same document as the production record trace certificate? Last time I got one of those it only took a matter of weeks.
Sounds like, the JDHT seems to have speeded up somewhat, but then is the heritage cerificate a requirement for the Goodwood event?
Old 15 Nov 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2791206)   #36
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I imagine this post in going to overlap with the great tyre debate. I see the E Type Challenge regs specify Dunlop "L" type tyres. I find this whole tyre business increasingly frustrating. Guards Trophy allows "M"s. GTSCC Specify "L"s Now E Type Challenge specify "L"s ! LMC allow both! No doubt other organisers with whom I am not familiar also have their own preference.

My objections to the current state of affairs are :-
  1. It looks likely that at certain race meetings in 2011 you are going spend all your spare time swapping wheels if the organisers are up to scratch with their programming
  2. "L"s are evil bloody things at best
  3. Expense of multiple tyre types and wheels
  4. None are any good if it rains
Why not allow any period correct tyre? It would introduce some competition amongst suppliers and might even go some way to reducing competitors costs.
END OF RANT!
Old 15 Nov 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2791244)   #37
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But a good rant, nevertheless, Robert.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 07:58 (Ref:2791453)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would have thought the clever money puts their car to pre 63 spec and run in a class of lower lying fruit with the added advantage of being eligible for Ben and Carol's series
Robert evil is merely a state of mind!
Old 16 Nov 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2791465)   #39
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Makes sense to me Simon, but not the glory hunters preferred option

I agree with Robert on tyres, an option list, and commercial competitivity would be great, different cars suit different rubber, although it would just give more advantage to the bigger budgets who can afford to test and experiment.

I've probably got some old Cinturatos's knocking about on old rims in my lock up
Old 16 Nov 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2791501)   #40
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apperentley there were some "L's" that worked really well on an E Type at Spa in the rain ??????
Old 16 Nov 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2791555)   #41
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
After a dismal WHT last year I was advised to run the S type on L's in the wet, but didn't get a (properly) wet race this year so have not had the chance to test the theory. It's important to keep the edge sharp so preferred not to use them in anything other than a deluge, maybe get the chance to do some testing this winter. Any opinions on pressures?
Old 16 Nov 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2791558)   #42
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
try 60PSI COlin

I'll come and watch you working the wheel
Old 16 Nov 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2791577)   #43
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Weather looked a bit iffy one raceday so I thought I'd check the pressures on the brand new L's, tyre fitter had set them at 22, I wanted 45. Takes some doing with a foot pump I can tell you!
Old 16 Nov 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2791686)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I always have my tyres set to 40psi at the garage so all I have to do is lower them for practice and the race.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2793391)   #45
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will a certain Red Bull developed car be allowed to enter I wonder?
Old 20 Nov 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2793398)   #46
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Of course they will.See driver!
Old 20 Nov 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2793467)   #47
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
Will a certain Red Bull developed car be allowed to enter I wonder?
If it involves Red Bull style jiggerypokery bet yer sweet life..
Surely all the early 'quick' E's were on RS5's.....