Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 28 Oct 2017, 10:10 (Ref:3776981)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sir Mark Webber can be proclaimed at the same time..

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Oct 2017, 10:19 (Ref:3776984)   #27
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winning the war should exclude anyone from working for a German Company!

In all seriousness, it isn't what anyone does on track that gets honours.
It is a combination of serious charity work or the press getting on your band wagon and saying how great you are (popularity)
Barry Sheen had 3 world championships and got an MBE, Sir Jackie had 3, but was more... politically astute (Who would have thought!)
Old 28 Oct 2017, 10:23 (Ref:3776985)   #28
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bloody Graham Henry got a knighthood, so by that rationale Lewis should be made Duke of Stevenage and Lord of Silverstone.

Yes people take the Royal family very seriously. The Armed Forces work for the Queen and not for the government. Millions of people go out of their brains when they have a baby, get married, or pass away. Not just in Britain but also in far away places like NZ, Canada, Australia, and all over the Commonwealth.
Old 28 Oct 2017, 10:32 (Ref:3776987)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I feel John Surtees should have received a knighthood, as we are unlikely to ever have someone who emulates what he has achieved, but there you go
Old 28 Oct 2017, 10:40 (Ref:3776993)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I fear people only asked for Surtees to be a Knight on internet forums and twitter. When actually you need to officially nominate them

Here is the form to nominate Lewis Hamilton: https://www.gov.uk/honours
Actually it is the form to nominate anyone, but you can use it for Lewis. There is no specific form for nominating Lewis.
Old 28 Oct 2017, 10:52 (Ref:3776997)   #31
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I feel John Surtees should have received a knighthood, as we are unlikely to ever have someone who emulates what he has achieved, but there you go
It is highly likely that he was offered a knighthood, but turned down the opportunity.

It should be noted, though, that he was one of the very few people that have received an MBE, an OBE and a CBE.
Old 28 Oct 2017, 14:25 (Ref:3777017)   #32
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift View Post
Winning the war should exclude anyone from working for a German Company!

In all seriousness, it isn't what anyone does on track that gets honours.
It is a combination of serious charity work or the press getting on your band wagon and saying how great you are (popularity)
Barry Sheen had 3 world championships and got an MBE, Sir Jackie had 3, but was more... politically astute (Who would have thought!)

As I recall Sir Jackie was also, previously to his racing career, a shooting champion. Handy to have field sports on ones c.v. in those times.

The charity shoots he headlined (usually in Scotland) with younger members of the Royal family as the guests of honour probably did him no harm back then. I suspect it would be very much frowned upon today.
Old 28 Oct 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3777039)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have an interest in politics, so I enjoyed Mike Harte's posts on the role of the Queen, in a constitutional monarchy.

I don't see why he shouldn't get a knighthood, after all both Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins were both knighted for their exploits in bicycle racing, something I never quite understood.
Old 28 Oct 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3777052)   #34
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Sir Lewis, lol. Yeah, sure, whatever floats yer boat.
Old 28 Oct 2017, 19:56 (Ref:3777070)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Well third today isn't going to help his cause. Her Majesty will not be amused.

Last edited by Adam43; 28 Oct 2017 at 20:51.
Old 29 Oct 2017, 03:24 (Ref:3777145)   #36
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Well third today isn't going to help his cause. Her Majesty will not be amused.
Does Her Majesty still ‘do’ the knighthood ceremonies now?
Or is that Prince Charles’ new vocation?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 29 Oct 2017, 06:26 (Ref:3777163)   #37
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I don't really know. Prince Charles has certainly done some, but I thought the Queen still did these.
Old 29 Oct 2017, 09:04 (Ref:3777178)   #38
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Does Her Majesty still ‘do’ the knighthood ceremonies now?
Or is that Prince Charles’ new vocation?
Brenda does a select few, Brian does quite a few and young Willy gets a go now and again. As was proven a few months ago, Ginger cannot be trusted with a sword in his hand.
Old 29 Oct 2017, 09:45 (Ref:3777185)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Brenda does a select few, Brian does quite a few and young Willy gets a go now and again. As was proven a few months ago, Ginger cannot be trusted with a sword in his hand.
Why Brian, I thought he was affectionately known as Phil the Greek?
Old 29 Oct 2017, 10:52 (Ref:3777190)   #40
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
as always, a few seconds with google provides the answer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_Private_Eye
Old 29 Oct 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3777191)   #41
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It is highly likely that he was offered a knighthood, but turned down the opportunity.

It should be noted, though, that he was one of the very few people that have received an MBE, an OBE and a CBE.
Perhaps the most famous to turn down a knighthood was David Bowie. He certainly deserved it more than some others who have got it
Old 29 Oct 2017, 12:34 (Ref:3777200)   #42
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
I admit it; I've only subscribed to the periodical for about 50 years. Peter Cook has a lot to answer for!
Old 29 Oct 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3777201)   #43
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Lewis can't win with this one. If he gets offered a knighthood and accepts, people will moan that he doesn't deserve it. If he turns it down, people will moan that it proves he isn't British enough and doesn't respect the queen.

Best scenario is he doesn't get offered one, then at least the hammy haters/ trolls can feel a smug sense of satisfaction and not ***** all over the Internet about it
Old 29 Oct 2017, 17:06 (Ref:3777222)   #44
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Are they haters?
Old 29 Oct 2017, 20:49 (Ref:3777277)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
He’s got his union flag on the slowing down lap. Forgot the knighthood. Companion of Honour.

But then he let the side down by saying the Mexican fans are the best. Take that losers at Silverstone.
Old 29 Oct 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3777279)   #46
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
He’s got his union flag on the slowing down lap. Forgot the knighthood. Companion of Honour.

But then he let the side down by saying the Mexican fans are the best. Take that losers at Silverstone.
In two weeks time the Brazilian fans are the best.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 00:08 (Ref:3777319)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
In two weeks time the Brazilian fans are the best.
They were in 2008, I think?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 05:46 (Ref:3777362)   #48
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
He’s got his union flag on the slowing down lap.
But Damon Hill did the same in the 1994 British GP and... Cannot understand that.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 06:01 (Ref:3777369)   #49
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think those knighted should have made some exception contribution to the world. What's Hamilton really done? He drives a racing car and has won a lot. Probably made F1 more boring as of late winning so much.

Or is a knighthood just a popularity contest now for those good at what they do in the publics eyes?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 13:03 (Ref:3777482)   #50
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
I think those knighted should have made some exception contribution to the world. What's Hamilton really done? He drives a racing car and has won a lot. Probably made F1 more boring as of late winning so much.

Or is a knighthood just a popularity contest now for those good at what they do in the publics eyes?
I’m genuinely interested, in your opinion what have Kelly Holmes, Mo Farah, Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins, Jessica Ennis, Tony McCoy, Malcolm campbell, Seagrave, Patrick Head, Matthew Pinsent, Grainger, Andy Murray and Ben Ainsle done out of the sporting field that has contributed to the world so they are worthy of a Knighthood?
Closed Thread