Old 15 May 2003, 15:22 (Ref:599817)   #1
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
156.7 mph - new record ?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard

Basically someone has just been jailed for setting a new British speed record (and whilst banned) - but is this the record - what about the German bloke a couple of years ago - wasn't he nearer 180 mph ?
Old 15 May 2003, 16:36 (Ref:599922)   #2
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup a previously banned car dealer in an M3. On the A90 which is a dual carriageway with speed cameras and right and left turns. he was having serious emotional problems but boy it would have taken a split second to have bigger ones.
Old 15 May 2003, 18:44 (Ref:600076)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the mesage we should put out on this one is quite simple- it's not big and it's not clever!
Old 15 May 2003, 18:48 (Ref:600079)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do we have to put out a message?

OK, as a responsible member of the IAM, I agree - it's not big and it's not clever. Especially in a tart's car like the M3!

When I first read the headline on BBC Online, I was a little shocked at the 5 months jail term. Bit harsh for a speeding offence I thinks. Then I read the rest about licence, insurance etc etc.

As a story goes, it's not great compared with those who 'got away with it'. Like the 'blade rider who was caught at an indicated 174mph but proved in court his bike was only mechanically capable of 167mph and had his case thrown out. (Or is that just another urban myth?!)
Old 15 May 2003, 20:50 (Ref:600258)   #5
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Do we have to put out a message?[/i]
No, I just thought I'd get that in before all the stories of folk-hero's speeding at 200+ on our roads....

I would have less of a problem if it had been on an empty motorway in a decent car by someone who had a licence and insurance......
Old 15 May 2003, 20:55 (Ref:600264)   #6
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard Max Power Magazine *hochhhhhh spit* got a tuned-to-blazes Supra up to 190-odd. But (here I go AGAIN *snore*) Evo went to Germany last month. With a TVR Tuscan S. A MTM Biturbo TT thingey. That weird V6 twin-turbo Elise. A Ruf Turbo.

Oh, and a Pagani Zonda.

The fastest they clocked was in the VERY VERY rude Ruf - somewhere up around 210mph. On public roads. hehehehe
Old 15 May 2003, 21:03 (Ref:600278)   #7
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was irresponsible, I once burned off an M5 in a TVR Cerbera 4.5. I got up to just over 165 mph indicated and was about 1/4 of a mile off a roundabout and hit the brakes. At that speed I soon became about 10 feet from the roundabout while still doing over 100 mph. Very luckily there was no one coming and we just got round. These days, I save it exclusively for the track (and must be getting old)...
Old 15 May 2003, 21:04 (Ref:600280)   #8
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Like the 'blade rider who was caught at an indicated 174mph but proved in court his bike was only mechanically capable of 167mph and had his case thrown out. (Or is that just another urban myth?!)
Yes, it is.
Old 15 May 2003, 21:54 (Ref:600354)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thought so. Bit like the RAF pilots in a black 911, at night, lights off, wearing night vision goggles... not big, not clever, but pretty damn funny

Talking of which, I once heard the highest speed recorded by an on duty police speed gun was in the region of 540mph. Apparently the Tornado pilot admitted to travelling at 9 times the posted limit, but in mitigation said that the traffic officer holding the gun was lucky he disengaged the 'target' after the laser had locked on...
Old 15 May 2003, 21:59 (Ref:600359)   #10
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluebottle
No, I just thought I'd get that in before all the stories of folk-hero's speeding at 200+ on our roads....
Good job that worked, then In my defence, no traffic laws were broken in the making of my stories, because they're not true

Quote:

I would have less of a problem if it had been on an empty motorway in a decent car by someone who had a licence and insurance......
On a more sensible note, I quite agree. Travelling at such speed doesn't necessarily, of itself, constitute a reckless act. But I'm afraid the deadly combination of factors in this case most certainly does.
Old 16 May 2003, 08:18 (Ref:600635)   #11
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
Today's paper says Scotland's previous best was 155 mph whereas England's was a Fireblade at 174 and the guy got jail - no mention of the German chap - by the way this post was not started for the reckless speed argument to be repeated - hopefully we know that already
Old 16 May 2003, 10:20 (Ref:600744)   #12
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done jos for bringing the thread back on topic. The man in question aws not doing it for a thrill. He was having major emotional problems and I have some sympathy with him having been there myself which includes the fast driving. However I didn't have an M3, just the Alpina, I didn't do it on the A90, where you are bound to get caught and I didn't go THAT fast.
Old 16 May 2003, 10:35 (Ref:600763)   #13
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've driven that bit of the A90 and it ain't the best bit of road. Tut, tut, tut. I was speaking to Martyn Bell (Kumho BMW man) yesterday and he told me he had 188mph out of his racing car (M3 E46) on the German Autobahn, burning a litre of fuel per minute.
Old 16 May 2003, 13:21 (Ref:600949)   #14
Tristan
Veteran

"Bit like the RAF pilots in a black 911, at night, lights off, wearing night vision goggles"

Ah yes, but that one's TRUE. They used to do all kinds of stuff on the A11 - testing gizmos, new cars, hiring out the Lotus test track. The Black 911s used to regularly ply the A11 between Wymondham and Mildenhall.

I think the greatest thing I ever saw was a Lotus Sportage. (anyone remeber the Kia Sportage 4x4?? No?? Me neither. Anyway, this one had all kinds of mods and, bizarrely, a Lotus badge on it. Most odd.) Saw what i *think* might have been the new Bently not long ago, all disguised an' that.
Old 16 May 2003, 15:10 (Ref:601089)   #15
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Top Secret's Supra GT-300 had done 200mph on USA, UK (M1) and Japanese roads?

Last edited by StuiE; 16 May 2003 at 15:11.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 16 May 2003, 15:17 (Ref:601095)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I think the point is that 156.7mph is the record for a speeding conviction.

There are many rumours and myths about speeds achieved in the UK.

I seem to remember hearing that an owner of a McLaren F1 found out exactly how much info the car's cpu retained when McLaren mechanics asked him - after a service - where he'd managed to top 200mph so often...
Old 16 May 2003, 15:49 (Ref:601129)   #17
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
It was a German and he made it a point of honour to top 200 mph every day on the way to the office ! And yes indeed this is about convictions not mythology - but lets open it out to include Wales and even outside the mainland UK - we have subscribers all over the world - join in chaps

Last edited by josvandeperre; 16 May 2003 at 15:51.
Old 16 May 2003, 16:05 (Ref:601143)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There isn't a road in Wales you can get past 30 mph on...
Old 16 May 2003, 16:51 (Ref:601195)   #19
Tristan
Veteran

Well you can't make the poor farmer herd is flock any quicker!! Jesus...
Old 16 May 2003, 20:32 (Ref:601330)   #20
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Is that what they call it?

Old 16 May 2003, 21:46 (Ref:601408)   #21
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
There isn't a road in Wales you can get past 30 mph on...
...when the Network Q Rally of ...er... Cardiff is on.

I think evo magazine may beg to differ at other times...
Old 16 May 2003, 22:24 (Ref:601463)   #22
Tristan
Veteran

Betws e Coed. One day I'll find the "golden triangle"....
Old 17 May 2003, 10:57 (Ref:601697)   #23
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe this is a British Record for the highest speeding conviction. About fifteen years ago a bloke was nicked for 161mph on the A11 between Wymondham and Norwich (might be pre dual carriageway days). If I remember Correctly he was riding a GSX1100R. The story made the front page of the Sun as well as the local papers. The reason I can remember is that my local bike shop sponsored his racing and the newspapers asked the owner for a quote.
However it doesn’t make such a good headline man nicked for 2nd or 3rd fastest speed recorded on British roads does it.
Old 17 May 2003, 14:56 (Ref:601795)   #24
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am finding this thread very interesting because of the speeds you're talking about. Here in the wild west of the USA. Particularly Nevada, Utah, and Arizona with vast expanses of long open highway, speeds in excess of 150mph are a daily occurance. Often when traveling I am able to hook up in a small train of cars (3 or 4) pacing each other between 100-125mph swapping the draft (and who's going to get the ticket if busted).

156mph being a headline strikes me as interesting. Once I was pulled over in Nevada at 147mph and only received a warning. On the other hand I spent 2 hours being arrested and immediately going to see a judge when pulled over at 160+ but $400 later was back on the road, drivers license intact.

Some western states even have stange laws that say that although you are traveling in excess of the posted speed limit you are not necessarily speeding, unless you are actually endangering someone elses life, however, the burden of proof is on you. Its worked for me.

Last edited by Flatspot; 17 May 2003 at 15:00.
Old 17 May 2003, 16:32 (Ref:601849)   #25
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Betws e Coed. One day I'll find the "golden triangle"....
What the hell's the golden triangle?

Betws-y-Coed is just down the road from me - lovely wee place, nice chipshop.