Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Nov 2001, 17:47 (Ref:176131)   #1
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato or Fisi?

Takuma Sato has finished his F3 career by winning in Macau, against top notch competition.
Now he will take his skills to Jordan, to partner the highly regarded Fisichella.
My question is, do you all think Sato can/will match Fisi's pace, given that he (Fisi) will also be driving a new car?

There are a lot of variables to consider, such as the influence of Honda for example.

This is going to be a much more interesting year than the one we just had.... every team, except perhaps Ferrari, has something going on with its drivers or engines that make it worth discussing.
Old 18 Nov 2001, 18:25 (Ref:176136)   #2
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmmmmm hard one......but if i had to go for one i would say NO he won't be able to match fisichella! But if he does then i will be totally :confused: :confused: and
Old 18 Nov 2001, 19:12 (Ref:176140)   #3
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fisi will certainly start the year on top, but I could see Sato challenging later on in the season.
Old 18 Nov 2001, 20:30 (Ref:176156)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, Kimi Raikonnen has just enjoyed one of the best rookie years (that I can think of), and still was unable to out-do the more experienced Heidfeld. I'd rate Fisichella considerably higher then Heidfeld - so Sato would have to be outrageously good to get on terms with Fisi by the end of one season.

Sato's got a hell of a lot of learning to do before he can think in those terms, I reckon.

If he proves me wrong, I'll be delighted - because that would surely herald the coming of a future champ...
Old 18 Nov 2001, 20:54 (Ref:176166)   #5
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm rooting for Fisi.
Old 18 Nov 2001, 20:57 (Ref:176169)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great team, Jordan next year. I hope. Come on Honda!

Lots of pressure on BAR.
Old 18 Nov 2001, 21:46 (Ref:176194)   #7
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jiggly_puff
hmmmmmm hard one......but if i had to go for one i would say NO he won't be able to match fisichella! But if he does then i will be totally :confused: :confused: and
Would that be 'cos then you would have to admit that he won this years British F3 championship by the sneaky method of having more talent than the oppostion rather than the various conspiracy theories usually put forward
Old 18 Nov 2001, 23:03 (Ref:176212)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is make or break time for Fisichella. He's wasted four years of his career at Benetton, not doing much, though not entirely his fault. The car was never usually up to the job. Now he's back at Jordan, who usually produce a quick (but lately fragile) car, but backed up with a decent Honda engine, Jordan look good for 2002. Fisichella also has plenty of experience now to be a true team leader, and is hungry (and desperate) to win a race.

I think Sato will find it a hard task to beat his more fancied team-mate.
Old 18 Nov 2001, 23:36 (Ref:176217)   #9
Wiki
Racer

Wiki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshal

the sneaky method of having more talent than the oppostion
*sigh* if only more racers and teams would use that method to get ahead.

imo Fisi knows he needs to have another season of the quality of 2001. I think he can and Sato will find it harder to adjust than past F3ers have - he's good but had some major shaky sessions this season.

Then again, if Sato does out-perform Fisi it will be a Honda conspiracy ... right Marshal???
Old 19 Nov 2001, 02:04 (Ref:176250)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyF
Fisi will certainly start the year on top, but I could see Sato challenging later on in the season.
Wise words.

Not a gamblin' man, are ya Andy?

But neither am I.
Old 19 Nov 2001, 04:32 (Ref:176267)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Re: Sato or Fisi?

Quote:
Originally posted by senna12

This is going to be a much more interesting year than the one we just had.... every team, except perhaps Ferrari, has something going on with its drivers or engines that make it worth discussing.
Au contraire!! I think every other team will be discussing what Ferrari are doing with their frontwing, rear wing, gear box, black box, and perhaps even their fuel stop and tyre strategies next season. One cannot simply ignore the leading team, not if they want to try to match its performance.
The fact that McLaren are switching to Michelins will give Ferrari a monopoly on tyre development and requirements to best suit their cars.
The for course, everyone here will be discussing the imminent arrival of JPM to Ferrari after next season.
Then, of course, there will be those who hate a certain Ferrari driver, and that will kepp half the threads humming.
Old 19 Nov 2001, 09:47 (Ref:176312)   #12
srinimax
Racer

srinimax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you might not be referring to barrichello by some chance ?
as far as i know tgf is universally popular

Last edited by srinimax; 19 Nov 2001 at 09:48.
Old 24 Nov 2001, 23:41 (Ref:178583)   #13
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by srinimax
as far as i know tgf is universally popular
Yes, that is quite true. Everybody is fascinated by this wonderfull Abbreviation .

For what it's worth, Sato will not have the experience to match Fishi's pace. He's got a long road ahead of him(IMO).
Old 25 Nov 2001, 01:10 (Ref:178605)   #14
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshal

Would that be 'cos then you would have to admit that he won this years British F3 championship by the sneaky method of having more talent than the oppostion rather than the various conspiracy theories usually put forward
No i still go with the conspiracy theories!
Old 25 Nov 2001, 08:44 (Ref:178643)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope people are not going to be already comparing Sato to former Japanese 'aces' such as Nakajima and Katayama, because although I haven't seen F3 as we don't get it in Oz, from all the results and reports, this kid is the real deal.

Yes, Sato of course would come with the full-fledged backing of Honda, it would be silly to think otherwise, and EJ has probably secured Honda for 2003 beyond simply by getting his contract.

However, EJ does have a keen-eye for talent, and is not one to be forced to take on untalented drivers. Let's not forget this is a guy who discovered Alesi and gave TGF/RB/Ralf their first drives.