Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jun 2002, 06:22 (Ref:309215)   #1
kwd
Racer

kwd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all f1 fans/what have u driven?

was just wondering/to all the posters of the fi forums if anyone has driven professionally in amateur classes or just messed around recreationally? personally its the latter for me, driving open wheel formula cars at a rental track. particularily like wet weather driving cause it makes the car feel like you have 800 horsepower under your feet and gives you a real appreciation for racing line and getting the power down smoothly. would like to hear of any other readers histories.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 06:39 (Ref:309222)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I go-kart with my mates. How thrilling!

And none of us are possible TGFs (hell, we sometimes make Alex Yoong look good!!)
Old 10 Jun 2002, 06:41 (Ref:309223)   #3
kwd
Racer

a link to view the cars/track is www.f440.com
Old 10 Jun 2002, 06:42 (Ref:309224)   #4
kwd
Racer

what do u cart, recreation,80/100cc/shifter?
Old 10 Jun 2002, 06:49 (Ref:309226)   #5
kwd
Racer

im no schu either although there"s always the imagination.........
Old 10 Jun 2002, 07:17 (Ref:309230)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Recreation. Like I could afford a go-kart!!!

There used to be an indoor go-kart track just a block from where I lived, but unfortunately that burned down.

There is another place in Marrickville, but you have to go into that area armed with an Uzi and bullet-proof vest.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 07:34 (Ref:309238)   #7
kwd
Racer

recreations are cool cause you can usually run flat out and just use powerslides to get around the track
Old 10 Jun 2002, 08:35 (Ref:309278)   #8
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Closest I've came is taking a high performance driving school . We got to spend 2 days racing around the local track in our own cars (mine's a supercharged 5.0 Mustang ) with instructors riding shotgun and always telling us to go faster..
I learned so much it wasn't funny...
I'm now involved in Solo II autocrossing for fun..

Alan
Old 10 Jun 2002, 08:51 (Ref:309303)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've never yet dared to go on the track in any capacity. I'm just not good enough, I reckon. But I have been privileged enough to sample some very quick road cars, which have given me a tiny hint of what high performance is all about.

I have in the past been handed the keys to an Aston Martin DBS Vantage, Lotus Turbo Esprit S3, Toyota Supra 3.0i and a Ferrari 365GTB/4 Daytona.

For what it's worth, the Ferrari sounded the best, and was fastest off the blocks, but it wasn't the nicest drive. That I'd give to the Aston, followed by the Lotus, although they are very different beasts.

And the fact remains that a Ferrari Daytona packs no more than 1/3rd of the power and torque of a contemporary F1 car. And that's a scary thought.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 08:55 (Ref:309307)   #10
kwd
Racer

good stuff!/what kind of training? weight transfer,heel and toe etc. also pardon my ignorance but what is solo II?
Old 10 Jun 2002, 09:01 (Ref:309320)   #11
kwd
Racer

to tim

cant activate my cut and paste so some of my responses might be out of line/tim thats wild/some people are lucky enough to see a ferrari on the street let alone sit your butt in one/how did you come about this?
Old 10 Jun 2002, 09:40 (Ref:309353)   #12
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kwd
good stuff!/what kind of training? weight transfer,heel and toe etc. also pardon my ignorance but what is solo II?
It was basic stuff: Recognising under/over-steer,threshold braking,car balance,tire wear,correct apexing,learning the correct line around a track,learning all the flags,practising rolling starts etc.
It was fun dicing with Boxters,911's,M3's , WRX's , Vettes,etc.
The Stang held her own on the straights (220+ kph at the
end of the long straight),but in the corners She was drifting across the track a bit.
All in all,the most fun I've had with my clothes on .

Solo II is a timed event around cones at low to moderate speeds. You get 4 runs each.
The course changes at each event,and there's no practice runs. Up to 60 cars show up at these events.
Lotsa fun is had by all..

Alan
Old 10 Jun 2002, 09:49 (Ref:309362)   #13
kwd
Racer

quote/most fun ive had with my clothes on speed is a wonderful thing.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 10:37 (Ref:309393)   #14
kwd
Racer

gotta sleep sometime-when posting your replies give lots of info, beat my buddies/shunts/speeds/raced against,toot your horn.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 13:02 (Ref:309620)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm, let me think. I was fortunate enough to be given a session at the Brands Hatch Racing School as a birthday present a few years ago which was just brilliant. As part of my job I organise the occasional corporate day/evening out so we normally go to Daytone Raceway (the one in West London) for an endurance race, and I have also done ice karting at the Alexandra Palace onec. Now that WAS fun!
Old 10 Jun 2002, 13:03 (Ref:309624)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Just realised how bad my spelling was in that last post. I haven't even had a drink...Honest Guv'nor!
Old 10 Jun 2002, 13:23 (Ref:309653)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I tried getting into the sport, after a reasonable career with go-karts, back in the 80's. But switching to formula ford just proved that I wasn't talented enough, and I resigned myself just being a fan of motorsport...