Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Apr 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1589534)   #1
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Victorian State Circuit Racing Championship R1

I hope i got that right.

Anyways, 220 entries for the weekend with Formula Ford having 33 of them, and that is absolutely fantastic considering Formula Vee have always out-entered them at most if not all the events in the past few years. Especially last year.

Looks like the weather could prove havoc, and for those that have had limited testing and are stepping into a category for the first time, well it could prove a tough debut.

Ill be there Saturday and Sunday hoping for blue skies, but doubting it.

Anyone else going?
Old 20 Apr 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1589563)   #2
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anyways, 220 entries
Oaksnaf, Australia has some fantastic support in Club Racing. I know people in the US cannot believe we get the numbers we do. Look at the Natsoft site and tally up the numbers for a particular date you seem to be averaging 250-400 cars at events, some on one day. The SCCA thinks getting 250-300 cars for a regional runoff is pretty good. Take a bow all you club racers.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1589608)   #3
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
Anyways, 220 entries for the weekend with Formula Ford having 33 of them, and that is absolutely fantastic considering Formula Vee have always out-entered them at most if not all the events in the past few years. Especially last year.
Keep in mind with the new engine - only the older 1600's can race at State level so this, effectively, means an influx of 'used' cars from National down to state level now.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1589641)   #4
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, I'll go and wave a flag or two on sunday.

F/Ford, Sandown, Rain.....yeah fun..
Old 20 Apr 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1589914)   #5
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok so if my name started with "Sil" and ended with "ver 3" and this thread was titled VMRC, I would come into this thread and start some negative stuff.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 22:55 (Ref:1590314)   #6
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
Ok so if my name started with "Sil" and ended with "ver 3" and this thread was titled VMRC, I would come into this thread and start some negative stuff.
Yeah Dirk, maybe we should get on here and bucket the VSCRC just like the regulars bucket the VMRC.

But then again those of us who support ALL motorsport aren't that childish and a few of the East Malvern blinkered supporters could learn from this (I hope).

Have fun at Sandown and stay safe guys, I'm off to Winton for the Victorian Motorcycle Championship round being held up there this weekend. Just hope the wet stuff stays south of the Great Dividing Range.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 01:11 (Ref:1590366)   #7
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ahhh yes, it would sooooo easy to bag it, but . . . . . . . . . .

Have a nice race meeting everyone, and stay safe.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1590672)   #8
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Ahhhhhhh Errrrrrrr, Paul..... I heard you were watching two spiders crawl accross the wall at work and said..... "If only those bugs had wheels I could get excited watching them"

Have fun up there.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1591400)   #9
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Congratulations where congratulations due -Formula Ford at Sandown this morning - Qualifyfing - 34 cars.

Best field they have shown in quite a while.

4 seconds covering first 28 cars, 0.9 the next two with only 4 'stragglers'.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 04:50 (Ref:1591512)   #10
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
After my previous post - what do they go and do?

11 lap race - laps 6 to 9 inclsuive are under the safety car! Plus - 8 DNF's.

Has this category, in the last 3-4 years, had a meeting go by without a safety car period in at least one of their races?
Old 22 Apr 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1591593)   #11
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a competitor in another class, we are surprised when FF make it through the weekend without at least one Extended Safety Car period or Red flag.
Very frustraiting as classes that alway run later have thier races docked... and it happened again today. I understand the logistics where the noise permit only runs to a defined time, but the classes that cause the problems are never effected. I think at the next event should have the classes responsible with short races, while the classes docked last time shoiuld get an extra lap.
Too many guys who think they are the next Schmi, I think.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 00:51 (Ref:1592271)   #12
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
And again this morning - first race for Formula Fords on Sunday - an 8 lap race - 2 safety car periods totalling 5 laps - nearly 75% of race distance under safety car - 1st one from laps 2 to 5, one racing lap then another 2 safetyy laps.

Maybe it is about time the book was really thrown at this category (or give them their three races as the final three races of the weekend so they don;t affect anyone else!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1592578)   #13
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Well there were other problems aside from the Formula Fords, believed to have been a Formula Vee car a huge amount of oil was found from one end of the back straight to Dandenong corner. That caused the MG's who were going sideways on their warm-up lap to be pulled back into the pits so that cement dust could be laid.

So there went at least 10 minutes during Saturday and that was after the Formula Ford race ended 12 minutes late. Formula Vee also had a safety car extening their race by 2 minutes. Historics also had a safety car for two laps, extending by what 4 minutes.

And then a close run Improved Production race was cut back to 7 laps so the Sports Cars could get their 10 lapper in.

So really to put the blame on Formula Ford is a bit over the top, sure they did mess up, but the main problem on Saturday was the oil spill before the MG's - who did 3 warm-up laps effectively after quite a few minutes waiting.

Had the oil spill not occured the issue with cutting races back would not have occured.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1592596)   #14
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oak-- sorry to sound like I am correcting you all the time-- Improved Production ran for 11 laps ( not seven) .Scheduled 10 lapper ran extra distance as a result of policy of running at least 2 racing laps after safety car period. Earlier F/Ford race became 8 lapper as a reult of that policy.MGCC ought to take a bow as it works as fairly as it can when racing laps are lost.
All classes and all races ran at least sheduled distance.In fact there was moretime in the program over the two days that was not(read that as cannot) be used.
All in all total entries were 245. It would be great to see series taking in all the Victorian tracks and back to 350 odd entries per round.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1592597)   #15
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3
Oak-- sorry to sound like I am correcting you all the time-- Improved Production ran for 11 laps ( not seven) .Scheduled 10 lapper ran extra distance as a result of policy of running at least 2 racing laps after safety car. .
The first Improved Production was red flagged and it ran for only 7 laps on Saturday - which is what i was talking about - the third and final race is was extended to 11.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1592601)   #16
Mark Twain
Rookie

Mark Twain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great event these, especially for the CAMS financial department. They would have charged a fortune for the permit fee, in addition I wonder how much money was collected in fines and protests.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 10:40 (Ref:1592622)   #17
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
Well there were other problems aside from the Formula Fords, believed to have been a Formula Vee car a huge amount of oil was found from one end of the back straight to Dandenong corner. That caused the MG's who were going sideways on their warm-up lap to be pulled back into the pits so that cement dust could be laid.
The questionhas to be asked then - why didn't the officials pick this up - surely this is a major safety stuff up?
Old 23 Apr 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1592693)   #18
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
And again this morning - first race for Formula Fords on Sunday - an 8 lap race - 2 safety car periods totalling 5 laps - nearly 75% of race distance under safety car - 1st one from laps 2 to 5, one racing lap then another 2 safetyy laps.

Maybe it is about time the book was really thrown at this category (or give them their three races as the final three races of the weekend so they don;t affect anyone else!

Don't be too harsh on the F/Ford drivers for this one. Yeah there was one car with bent steering parked well off line between 4 and 5. The safety car was despatched in haste due to a lack of Quality information being feed back to Race Control.....and the beached car at turn one on the restart would never have happened if there was no restart...
Old 23 Apr 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1592720)   #19
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
MPA - not being hard on this one - they seem to be doing this every meeting. NOt just in Vic, but most states and at Naitonal level.

The F/Vees somehow manage to run just as close (if not closer in reality) without hitting each other - why is it the Fords can't?

Numbers wise, though - good turnout - how many went home that were bent though?
Old 24 Apr 2006, 01:43 (Ref:1593346)   #20
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Ahhhhhhh Errrrrrrr, Paul..... I heard you were watching two spiders crawl accross the wall at work and said..... "If only those bugs had wheels I could get excited watching them"

Have fun up there.
It was actually two flies crawling up the wall

Was a great weekend of 2 wheeled racing at Winton, no major injuries, no major bike damage and a great laid back atmosphere. Oh and a grand total of about 20 rain drops on Sunday but a little bit chilly at times.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 02:27 (Ref:1593356)   #21
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Was a great weekend of 2 wheeled racing at Winton, no major injuries, no major bike damage and a great laid back atmosphere. Oh and a grand total of about 20 rain drops on Sunday but a little bit chilly at times.
It was a good weekend, wasn't it
Old 24 Apr 2006, 05:43 (Ref:1593422)   #22
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Main difference between Fv & FF - the person who *paid* for the car, drives the car...
Old 24 Apr 2006, 07:24 (Ref:1593458)   #23
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a fundamental difference between F/Vee and F/Ford(apart from the one in the previous post) . F/Vee is predominantly made up of more mature(hate usingthe word older) who mostly have reached their destination class/level of racing. They usually are running(and paying) for their own racing and do understand what a budget is.
At the front of F/Ford there is generally a fair bit of ambition and is seen as a career path and often a budget from somewhere else.In essence - the difference between a "club"racer and a proffesional one. Albeit in this case an aspiring professional.
The other factor is the "kart" mentality where contact often does not lead to a serious consequence as speeds are lower and "karts" are tougher and do not suffer the consequences that a F/Ford suffers in contact.
F/Ford are also a fair bit faster and as such move about more so misjudgements are on the cards. F/Vee have not been without their pile-ups and HQ's have created plenty of hold-ups in the past.This last meeting the F/Ford behaviour in general was not bad and the reasons already outlined.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 07:32 (Ref:1593463)   #24
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also to be fair to the FF guys, the organisers were pretty quick to throw out the SC when it could have be dealt with by a local double yellow. A beached FF only requires 2 guys to move it back onto the track and it can drive away again. If the field has gone through there is plenty of time with no risk. I guess the CoC wanted to be extra cautious.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 07:38 (Ref:1593470)   #25
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
Great event these, especially for the CAMS financial department. They would have charged a fortune for the permit fee, in addition I wonder how much money was collected in fines and protests.
personally what is the point of fining young Formula Ford competitors - which was almost carried out. You are only going to dampen their cash flow which could in the end stop them from competiting at the next round. Fortunately there was another official who just said "blast the driver and make him know what he did was wrong".

Personally fines do the wrong things at the lower levels of motorsport.

Now onto the FVee FFord issue. The last major accident in Formula Vee that i can recall off was where an 8 car pileup at the Island occured where Max Bonney rolled it - not to mention he also went to roll it at lukey heights.

You are right in the drivers age, the youngest driver in Victoria for Fvee is Taylor Gore who is almost 17 by memory. But there are also a fair amount of older drivers in Formula Ford too - look at the front runner Cade Southall.

Three seconds covered the top 10 in the final Fvee race, in terms of racing what more do you want? There was instances where they were 3 wide even 4 wide at one point coming into T1. Likewise up the back-straight. And when a Vee driver did go off it was either on the oil at T3, or up near Dandenong where one 1600 driver was approaching a 1200 driver who braked earlier leaving the 1600 driver no-where to go except onto the grass.

Then compare that to Formula Ford.

10 seconds difference per lap - less front runners or competative racing at the front - $30-$50k difference in the purchase of the cars $4k difference in buying a drive per round..... Personally I don't know why the series is always overlooked by karters. And ask the drivers themselves 'Its a fun category' and certainly something even a 70 year old can drive in - which was the case 2-3 years ago with good old Reg.

HQ's at the moment are probably around the same mark as Formula Vee. I must say that the HQ's have behaved themselves the past few years with minimal incidents, but at times there seems to be gaps forming in the battles up front, leaving a 20 second gap between the top 10.

But in Formula Ford - if you are a newcomer and are not under the banner of either Minda Motorsport or GForce or Cams National Rising Star, then you will certainly be in for a hard year. Minda Motorsport are probably the best team at the moment and if you want to race FFord go see them.