Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1259268)   #1
pD F1
Racer

pD F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question about MS in 1998:

Yes it is six years ago now, but

1.) if MS had not collided with DC in Spa and won the race, would he have gone on to win the DWC?
2.) If he had not stalled at Japan, would he have won the race and the DWC in 1998 (Irvine was in a good position, to use a similar plan as in 1997 etc etc)?
3.) Do you think Michael drove better than the previous year, he was closer to the title in '97, but that was mainly down to JV and Williams Renault's inconsistency. The '98 McClarens and drivers were IMHO, very consistent in a super F1 car!
Old 22 Mar 2005, 23:36 (Ref:1259313)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1) Maybe
2) Maybe
3) Possibly

You're a bit F1 backwards. What if Mika hadn't had problems in Imola, Canada, Hungary, Spa, etc....

You also forget, for instance, Nurburgring where Mika was sublime in a car that was out qualified by Irvine (!!!) and beat Michael at his own game.

So, in summary, it is pointless to discuss. Mika was great that year. What if Mansell had had a vastly superior car earlier in '91. What if the Ferrari hadn't been suchg a good car in the last four years. What if (etc etc)

Last edited by Adam43; 22 Mar 2005 at 23:40.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1259317)   #3
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can go stir-crazy thinking through all the "ifs", "buts" and "maybes" in sport, including Formula One. You didn't add "if DC hadn't let Hakkinen win the Aussie GP" (I think it was '98) - worth an extra 4 points to Hakkinen, that was.

Open up any record book and you'll see Mika world champion of 1998. For me, that's enough.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 23:41 (Ref:1259319)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you ignore everything else. Mika wrapped it up in Nurburgring and was a master at taking the pressure in season finals.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 23:58 (Ref:1259336)   #5
pD F1
Racer

I'm more referring to what Murray Walker said at the end of that season, that the Belgian Grand Prix cost him the championship, now I'm seeing what the opinion on here is, adding parts to it, like Japan. I was also more interested in the latter question about the comparisons between those two seasons, which I have interesting ever since those seasons, now I want to see what others on this discussion forum think.

The ifs and buts goes on! What if Button hadn't been sacked by Renault, would he have that win? I think so! What if Hill had seen MS hit the wall in Adelaide and realised he clearly had damage and kept behind him?
What if Firman did not have the accident in Brazil? He would probably have had his first (fluke) podium in only his third race.

In the end in the 1998 season, Mika was anextremely well deserved winner and I was delighted for him.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 00:04 (Ref:1259342)   #6
pD F1
Racer

[QUOTE=AdamAshmore]1) Maybe
2) Maybe
3) Possibly

You're a bit F1 backwards. What if Mika hadn't had problems in Imola, Canada, Hungary, Spa, etc....

You also forget, for instance, Nurburgring where Mika was sublime in a car that was out qualified by Irvine (!!!) and beat Michael at his own game.

I do remember these races. Just like I remember how Mika should have won at Silverstone and Nurburgring the year before (after taking his first pole). Also like I remember 1994, at Estoril, where Mika (in Mclaren Peugeot, which was to be honest an awful car) finished 3rd. And 1995 in Japan, he was on the podium superbly. MS won that race, from pole, and set the fastest lap!
Old 23 Mar 2005, 00:16 (Ref:1259349)   #7
pD F1
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pD F1
I'm more referring to what Murray Walker said at the end of that season, that the Belgian Grand Prix cost him the championship, now I'm seeing what the opinion on here is, adding parts to it, like Japan. I was also more interested in the latter question about the comparisons between those two seasons, which I have interesting ever since those seasons, now I want to see what others on this discussion forum think.

The ifs and buts goes on! What if Button hadn't been sacked by Renault, would he have that win? I think so! What if Hill had seen MS hit the wall in Adelaide and realised he clearly had damage and kept behind him?
What if Firman did not have the accident in Brazil? He would probably have had his first (fluke) podium in only his third race.

In the end in the 1998 season, Mika was anextremely well deserved winner and I was delighted for him.
which I have interesting ever since those seasons

*Which I have found interesting ever since 1998.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1259353)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Just like I remember how Mika should have won at Silverstone and Nurburgring the year before (after taking his first pole).
1997 was 1F city for Mika. He should have won a few of thsoe races that year and was very unlucky. Add Monza to your list. Even if you ignore Jerez he might have been a three time winner that year!

Last edited by Adam43; 23 Mar 2005 at 00:20.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 00:28 (Ref:1259359)   #9
pD F1
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore

1997 was 1F city for Mika. He should have won a few of thsoe races that year and was very unlucky. Add Monza to your list. Even if you ignore Jerez he might have been a three time winner that year!
Yes, I'm pretty sure that had Mika Hakkinen got the elusive win before Jerez (like he should have at Silverstone, Monza and Nurburgring, and Austria perhaps, as he was leading Trulli, before he had a mechanical failure at the end of lap 1 on the straight) Jacques would have kept his 1st place at Jerez, as he only let him through at about the penultimate corner of the race, it was probably JV, 'giving' it to Hakkinen as a present for keeping him in the DWC, considering the amount of times Mika was leading, retired and Jacques won.

Overall, excluding Jerez, Mclaren could have won 6 or 7 races that season, but for reliability and DC stalling the engine in the pits in Montreal.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 00:36 (Ref:1259364)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
6 or 7 might be pushing it, but it is odd how things could've turned out differently, which I guess was the point of the thread!
Old 23 Mar 2005, 04:04 (Ref:1259426)   #11
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
What if Minardi were fast and had money?
Old 23 Mar 2005, 05:24 (Ref:1259458)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
.......and if my uncle had tits, he'd be my aunt.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 05:44 (Ref:1259465)   #13
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Scumacher was at his best prior to 2002. and at his best, he was brilliant, sublime even.

shadow
Old 23 Mar 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1259704)   #14
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, I'm pretty sure that had Mika Hakkinen got the elusive win before Jerez (like he should have at Silverstone, Monza and Nurburgring, and Austria perhaps, as he was leading Trulli, before he had a mechanical failure at the end of lap 1 on the straight) Jacques would have kept his 1st place at Jerez, as he only let him through at about the penultimate corner of the race, it was probably JV, 'giving' it to Hakkinen as a present for keeping him in the DWC, considering the amount of times Mika was leading, retired and Jacques won.

Overall, excluding Jerez, Mclaren could have won 6 or 7 races that season, but for reliability and DC stalling the engine in the pits in Montreal.

What if Mclaren had made a better car for 1997? They could of won all the races, from pole...
Old 23 Mar 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1260156)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
.......and if my uncle had tits, he'd be my aunt.

Not neccessarily, they may just be "man breasts"
Old 24 Mar 2005, 00:36 (Ref:1260316)   #16
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Not neccessarily, they may just be "man breasts"

What if they're not!! Eeeeekkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!

Off to check.......................