Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Oct 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3854048)   #1
ForZiE23
Rookie

United Kingdom
Thame, Oxfordshire
ForZiE23 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gloves

Been using a pair of welders gauntlet gloves but find the fingers abit to bulky. Looking around at various pairs but open to some good advice from the wider community on a decent all around pair of gloves.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 12:54 (Ref:3854275)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As with all such discussions... it depends! Duty, post, circuit, weather, class of car, size of hands all play a part.

You will often find people wearing Ringers or Mechanix basic gloves (Authentics or Originals respectively). You'll also find people wearing £3 rigger gloves, very fine firefighting gloves from Southcombe Brothers (or related companies), gardening gloves, welding gloves/gauntlets or oil platform gloves, or Sealskinz waterproof gloves.

If you're going to be doing a lot of flagging, then the lightweight ones like the Ringers are perfect - they'll keep the cold (or the sun) off your hands and they're dextrous enough in most cases that you don't necessarily have to take them off to write notes/reports.

If you're intending to do a lot more incident marshalling then you may need a more robust pair as you'll potentially be digging through gravel and dealing with very hot or sharp broken bits.

Even then, the choice is bewildering and the prices can vary enormously.

Personally, I usually have a pair of Ringers Authentics with me but I also have some riggers gloves for bigger badder times where I need to dig holes
Old 4 Oct 2018, 12:15 (Ref:3854506)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Incident - welders are mostly perfect and despite carrying others, they're my first choice. I've had gloves which have sustained surprising amounts of damage doing surprisingly minimal tasks and which have protected me well. Two obvious examples were keeping me safe when accidentally holding the exhaust of an inverted F3 (because it was the only you could hold) and also when switching of the electrics on a Caterham I caught the back of the gloves on a piece of broken carbon fibre which sliced 3/4 of the way through. I'll only use something else if I have a specific need, which I think was once...

Rescue - I use Ringers extrication, but also have a pair of Mechanix for finer detail.

Flagging. Don't bother. Skin is waterproof and grippy. If it's cold I just have an ordinary pair with grippy palms, but again, very rarely used.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3855929)   #4
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was with someone this weekend who was quite badly burned picking up a hot exhaust from circuit. They were wearing "mechanix" style gloves which basically melted.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 07:40 (Ref:3856068)   #5
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not good for them and I hope the burns heal quickly.

But all marshals should take note - NEVER pick up anything that could be potentially very hot (exhausts, brake disks etc), even if you are wearing welders type gauntlets, they hold their heat for an amazingly long time.

Kick it or be inventive with broom handles or shovels!
Old 11 Oct 2018, 10:00 (Ref:3856083)   #6
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 16 Oct 2018, 12:08 (Ref:3857110)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
Not good for them and I hope the burns heal quickly.

But all marshals should take note - NEVER pick up anything that could be potentially very hot (exhausts, brake disks etc), even if you are wearing welders type gauntlets, they hold their heat for an amazingly long time.

Kick it or be inventive with broom handles or shovels!
That reminds me of an incident years ago at a particularly well-marshalled meeting. Marshal runs out to silencer in the middle of the track and as he got to about 6 paces away everyone on post shouted 'Kick it!!!' much to the amusement of the spectators.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 12:32 (Ref:3857272)   #8
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
much to the amusement of the spectators.[/QUOTE]

Must have been a few years ago then, spectators I remember them
Old 18 Oct 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3857444)   #9
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Must have been a few years ago then, spectators I remember them

We had two Crows spectating the other day, Nina said they were Pete and Terry, but I thought it was actually Pete and Susan...….

Last edited by Terrible-Tones; 18 Oct 2018 at 07:58. Reason: Why does there have to be a reason for everything - 42
Old 26 Oct 2018, 15:16 (Ref:3859300)   #10
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cutter Gloves work well for me. http://www.cutterworkwear.com/

Most varieties of their offerings are available from Screwfix.

Jim
Old 4 Nov 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3860928)   #11
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I use Mechanic style gloves which have leather palms BUT am aware of the limitations so exhausts are kicked or picked up and thrown to avoid heat.

I was in the process of opening a Mini Bonnet when the upper radiator hose popped spraying my hands in boiling water, I had just enough time to drop the bonnet and get the gloves off before the water soaked through.
Old 5 Nov 2018, 12:42 (Ref:3861102)   #12
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my personal experience, Ringers Mechanics let me down. I was moving something (during a rescue training) to assist, and the edge sliced through the gloves and first layer of skin on my fingers without me feeling it. Could have been a LOT worse. I stick to Extrication now - and touch wood they've saved my hands a couple of times.

I prefer a close fitting glove and accept the risk of these being difficult to remove in times of need. I rely on my experience to not touch hot things (picked up a brake disc quadrant and associated brake pad, but dropped them as I saw the pad weld itself to the disc) and luck that I don't get hot liquids on me.

For flagging, its bare hands, unless very cold and wet, I have a pair of orange hunting gloves from the US I expect to try in North Wales this weekend.
Old 5 Nov 2018, 13:17 (Ref:3861108)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Mechanix have their place, very good for basic protection if you're dealing with something fiddly, but they won't stop something piercing them, especially the back so use only with caution. Not the thing for general use on the bank. Although they do work well for flagging on a cold day.