Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 13 Nov 2018, 01:19 (Ref:3862934)   #1
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
David Pearson, R.I.P.

Nascar star David Pearson has passed, age 83. He was Nascar Grand National Champion in 1966, 1968 and 1969. We won 105 Grand National races.

May he R.I.P.

Nascar's "Silver Fox." Rated bt Richard Petty as his top competition.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 02:02 (Ref:3862942)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just a sad day.

I'll have to pull some stats up later but off the top of my head, I know he and Petty finished 1st and 2nd more times than any other combo in history.

Here's how a learned of it; comparison of starts and what not. Interesting in that in the seasons Pearson competed in more than 80% of the Cup / GN races, he won the championship...

Old 13 Nov 2018, 02:46 (Ref:3862948)   #3
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
ESPN: http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/st...iJumdaEFKPJDJI
Old 13 Nov 2018, 08:49 (Ref:3862981)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post

Who can forget the 76 final lap clash with Petty? RIP
Old 13 Nov 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3863014)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Just a sad day.

I'll have to pull some stats up later but off the top of my head, I know he and Petty finished 1st and 2nd more times than any other combo in history.

Here's how a learned of it; comparison of starts and what not. Interesting in that in the seasons Pearson competed in more than 80% of the Cup / GN races, he won the championship...

Forgot to post the link last night. Was a retweet by Dex:

https://twitter.com/JoshHanson18/sta...551010816?s=19

The Silver Fox is certainly in the convo of greatest ever.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3863043)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Farewell, Fox.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 14:24 (Ref:3863048)   #7
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Forgot to post the link last night. Was a retweet by Dex:

https://twitter.com/JoshHanson18/sta...551010816?s=19

The Silver Fox is certainly in the convo of greatest ever.
That's what my pops says for the very reason in that tweet. RIP David Pearson.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 14:42 (Ref:3863053)   #8
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
That's what my pops says for the very reason in that tweet. RIP David Pearson.
I was curious so here's a breakdown:
Richard Petty 200 wins in 1,185 Cup / GN starts
David Pearson 105 wins in 574 Cup / Gn starts

Less than half the starts but more than half the wins. Still looking for win % comparison. Think Tim Flock or Fred Lorenzon still holds that record (or maybe Jimmie J does) but Jayski's site has been infiltrated by the juggernaut so it's hard to find stuff.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 06:55 (Ref:3863401)   #9
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
David was one of my guys (first, then Bill E. followed by Alan Kulwicki) when I could still enjoy NASCAR.

One of the last men of men, and NASCAR (National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing) was appropraitely named (Stock cars were just that; just with cages and speed modifications added). Now it would be more so if it were NASTCRAP (National Association of The Sport of CRAP)

So long David.

Quote:
Still looking for win % comparison. Think Tim Flock or Fred Lorenzon still holds that record (or maybe Jimmie J does) but Jayski's site has been infiltrated by the juggernaut so it's hard to find stuff.
Harumph. So do the math yourself!!!

Here, just for you:

David Pearson - 105 wins of 574 races - 18.3%
Richard Petty - 200 of 1185 = 16.9%
Tim Flock - 39 of 187 = 20.9%
Fred Lorenzen - 26 of 158 = 16.5%
Jimmie Johnson - 83 of 614 = 13.5%
(Jimmie's stats are really meaningless as he's been in the "new age" of equalizing the playing field so a dominant team is not allowed to dominate as they used to be...)

Last edited by jimclark; 15 Nov 2018 at 07:18.

jimclark
Old 15 Nov 2018, 13:55 (Ref:3863498)   #10
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
thanks, JC! Jayski used to have it on his site, but had no time to look everyone's up.

And to argue a point , Jimmie won races and championships when cars were equaled, so there's certainly some merit there as a pure driver, yes? (and I used to think not). As in how many races would Wendell Scott won had he been racing for a factory team?

But again, this a tribute thread. The Silver Fox one of, if not, the best.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 19:33 (Ref:3863524)   #11
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
https://youtu.be/gMFsrRdEB6M?t=30m33s
Old 15 Nov 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3863525)   #12
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
There is an excellent video on YouTube of Leonard Wood introducing David Pearson at his induction to the Nascar Hall of Fame. Both of those men are very modest. (I admit to still being bugged that Pearson was not in the first round of inductions)
Old 15 Nov 2018, 20:24 (Ref:3863532)   #13
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
There is an excellent video on YouTube of Leonard Wood introducing David Pearson at his induction to the Nascar Hall of Fame. Both of those men are very modest. (I admit to still being bugged that Pearson was not in the first round of inductions)
HoFs are kind of bogus but certainly would agree.

I exchanged greetings with Leonard at Atlanta Motor Speedway on the same day I got the "two gun salute" from the King and saw Skynyrd play on the front stretch right behind Andy Lally, all with my oldest.

I'll never forget Leonard's smile as I said, "Hello, Mr. Wood." Certainly seems like the personalities of the Woods and Pearson men worked well together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
So cool.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 20:40 (Ref:3863534)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes that video I really enjoyed. Really weird seeing how narrow turn 2 is