Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Jul 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2252673)   #1
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Touring Car "Almost-moves"

Inspired by the Atlas F1 almost-moves thread about driver moves that were close to happening but didn't. I thought it would be fun to have a similiar thread here but on touring cars instead. Please note that this thread is about moves that were close to happening, intended or suchlike but brought down for one reason or another, not a place for "what-ifs" of whishes. I'll add a few that I know of, and you others can add more. Links to news articles are especially appreciated.
  • BTCC: The drivers in the run for the second Volvo seat in 1999 were Tim Harvey, Vincent Radermecker and Jan Nilsson. Nilsson and Harvey shared the second S40 in the 1998 Bathurst 1000, and Harvey even tested for Volvo several times during the pre-season. I don't know why Radermecker was picked eventually, from the articles I could gather Harvey seemed like the favourite for the seat. Nilsson was probably more of an outside chance.
  • BTCC: If Peugeot had continued into 1999, they would have kept both Radisich and Harvey.
  • BTCC: Both Renault and Nissan were chasing after Aiello for 1999; had he gone to Renault he would have partnered Jason Plato.
  • STW: If Peugeot had continued racing into 1999, Aiello would in all likelyhood have been their no.1 driver.
  • Alfa Romeo considered entering BTCC if the Italian Super Touring series was cancelled at the end of 1999, with Giovardi driving one of the cars. In the end the Italian series were replaced by a European championship, and Alfa raced there instead (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/article.asp?id=5153)
  • Giovanardi wanted to race in BTCC in 2000, regardless of what team (same article as above)
  • BTCC: While Tarquini did make a few apperances in 1999 for Honda, there was some mid-season speculation that Honda and JAS would pull out of STW and race with Tarquini and Kristensen alongside Kox and Thompson to bolster Thompson's title chances (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/article.asp?id=5882). In July, a third works car was "likely", with either Tarquini or Kristensen as the driver. This would be run by JAS, and depended on Honda withdrawing early from STW (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/article.asp?id=5266).
  • BTCC: Paul Morris was to have run in a second Team Dynamics Primera, but a lack of engines put a stop to the plans.
  • BTCC: After Peugeot withdrew, Paul Radisich was in contention for the Nissan seat which eventually went to Aiello.
  • After winning the Renault Spider series in 1999 Andy Priaulx was looking for a BTCC seat; had Renault stayed on for another year a Plato-Priaulx pairing would not have been unlikely. Priaulx did however get to test the Laguna.
  • Damon Hill was offered a test in Team Dynamic's Primera in 1999 (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/article.asp?id=5462).
  • Matt Neal and Dynamics (?) were planning to race at Macau in 1999, supported by Nissan. There was to have been a second car too, a "big name" (Hill?) (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/article.asp?id=5756).
  • Matt Neal was to have driven at Macau in 1998 for the Nissan works squad NISMO, but the deal fell through (in the article above).
  • Volkswagen were looking at entering BTCC in 2000, but decided agains it (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/article.asp?id=6485)
  • BTCC: Radermecker was talking to Team Dynamics about racing a second Primera in 2000, but went to Vauxhall instead (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/article.asp?id=7196).
  • BTCC: Laurent Aiello was on the verge of joining Honda for 2000 (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/article.asp?id=7009). However, Kristensen got the drive instead (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/article.asp?id=7061).
  • BTCC: Vauxhall and TOCA were co-operating to put a gas-powered Vectra on the grid for 2000, but shortages of funds saw the programme canned. Mark Ticehurst was to race the car as an independent entry (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/article.asp?id=7732).
  • BTCC: Greg Murphy was a possible driver for Vauxhall for the 2000 season, but this speculation was before Plato became a free agent with Renault quitting.
  • BTCC: Fredrik Ekblom tested for Renault ahead of the 1999 season, and was an outside possibility for the second drive.
  • STCC: Mattias Ekström was signed and presented as Honda's main driver for 1999, but couldn't find the sponsorship needed. Hubert Bergh thus got the drive instead.
  • STCC: Mats Lindén was to have driven the second works Opel, but for some reason (lack of money I suppose) it didn't come off. Tord Linnerud, who had been Lindén's strongest contender for the seat, was touted as a possible replacement with support from Opel Norway, but in the end he ran a Vectra as a privateer.
That's all for now, I'm sure you others has got loads of stuff to add. Doesn't matter when or where...
Old 17 Jul 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2252936)   #2
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting read Jimmy, I heard rumours from 98 that Mansell was talking to either Ford or another team for a full time run in 99, any news on this one?

I thought Radamecher was picked in 99 due to the sponsership he brought to the team which other drivers in contention were not able to offer.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2252974)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I'd forgotten about a few of those. I wonder if in a few years' time we'll adding the likes of Team 48 to this list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
[*]Damon Hill was offered a test in Team Dynamic's Primera in 1999 (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/article.asp?id=5462).
I was never convinced about this one. Hill had recently announced his retirement from F1 and Steve Neal was never one to turn down a good PR opportunity.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 04:47 (Ref:2253110)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Soper was originally offered the Nissan seat in 1999 that eventually went to Aiello
Old 18 Jul 2008, 08:34 (Ref:2253175)   #5
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it Tom Ferrier who was close to a works Vauxhall drive in 2001?
Old 18 Jul 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2253255)   #6
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrier was even announced as a driver for Vauxhall, but funding fell through or something.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...926&FS=TOURING
Old 18 Jul 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2253264)   #7
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius
Ferrier was even announced as a driver for Vauxhall, but funding fell through or something.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...926&FS=TOURING
Ah yes.. "clash of sponsors interests" I think is how it was put. Shame for Tom, that woulod have been his big break.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 23:19 (Ref:2253660)   #8
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
  • STCC: Mattias Ekström was signed and presented as Honda's main driver for 1999, but couldn't find the sponsorship needed.
I guess that pretty much covers the sad story of talanted Swedish drivers chance of getting sponsorship.

On topic, I guess Rydell missing out on WTCC 2007 could be added to the list as well. A few more Swedish drivers could probably be listed for WTCC, but I'm unsure how close to happening the deals have really been.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 04:38 (Ref:2253714)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How far back do we want the thread to go??

Dick Johnson & John Bowe were rumoured to drive a Trakstar Sierra in 1989 in the Donington two-driver race in 1989 (Trakstar bought their cars off DJR)

Allan Grice tried to enter his Commodore in a round of the 1986 BTCC (or was it still the BSCC then?), but they wouldn't budge on the rule mandating a capacity limit of 3500cc (that changed for 1987)

Wasn't Andy Rouse strongly linked to a works Mercedes for the 1990 DTM, after he lost his Kalibar backing in the BTCC??
Old 19 Jul 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2253818)   #10
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racer, as far back as you want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
I guess that pretty much covers the sad story of talanted Swedish drivers chance of getting sponsorship.

On topic, I guess Rydell missing out on WTCC 2007 could be added to the list as well. A few more Swedish drivers could probably be listed for WTCC, but I'm unsure how close to happening the deals have really been.
Well, things did sort work out for Ekström that year as he picked up the Audi drive and won the championship.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2253980)   #11
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Racer, as far back as you want!

Well, things did sort work out for Ekström that year as he picked up the Audi drive and won the championship.
I have a rather fun clip from some SVT news broadcast about the season finale from that year, with all the drama and stuff that went on that weekend with Ekstöm in particular, give me a few min and I'll upload it to youtube, its worth watching (for us Swedish STCC fans anyway).

EIDT: A little OT, but maybe it can slip...
Old 19 Jul 2008, 20:01 (Ref:2254071)   #12
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
I have a rather fun clip from some SVT news broadcast about the season finale from that year, with all the drama and stuff that went on that weekend with Ekstöm in particular, give me a few min and I'll upload it to youtube, its worth watching (for us Swedish STCC fans anyway).

EIDT: A little OT, but maybe it can slip...
Everything that isn't on youtube should be there. If you've got the 2000 finale with Leslie, Burt, Colciago, Abt et al that would be even greater.

To add something of value to the topic I just realized that Greg Murphy's Vauxhall drive was to have been in 1999, but Muller got the drive instead.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2254113)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Weren't Mercedes Benz very close to entering the BTCC with Prodrive in 1993 I think ?
Old 20 Jul 2008, 08:19 (Ref:2254318)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
To add something of value to the topic I just realized that Greg Murphy's Vauxhall drive was to have been in 1999, but Muller got the drive instead.
Murphy also tested for Renault in late-1998
Old 20 Jul 2008, 17:58 (Ref:2254698)   #15
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And a few minutes later: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3_BnH36G5Y

What a great year that was, lots of cars, lots of good teams, lots of good drivers, lots of spectators. IMO, the best season of STCC, and I was also there at Mantorp watching the finale (yay for me!).

Quote:
Everything that isn't on youtube should be there. If you've got the 2000 finale with Leslie, Burt, Colciago, Abt et al that would be even greater.
Sadly thats the only race I'm missing from that season! I only have a 4 min clip from the season review, but I dont have that one right here, but can upload it later. I have the 2001 finale with Rydell's first STCC race tho.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 23:16 (Ref:2255572)   #16
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
didn't mansell drive for Ford?
was it 97-98?
and why mansell would have to 'talk' to anyone regarding where he wants to drive is just silly
Mansell with or without a Mustache is just awesome.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2256028)   #17
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes. drove in 3 rounds for Ford in 1998 and caused a sensation at Donnington by leading when starting from the back, talk was on-going for him to be placed in the team for 99 however with WSR losing the contract and Prodrive gaining this failed to materialise and Nigel was suspect to the cars capabilities for that season.

Great driver who could have achieved much in BTCC had he jumped into it in 1995, talk was also on-going with Ford about other BTCC appearances after his 93 shootout round for 94, again did not happen, great shame.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2256223)   #18
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ahhh Mansel, another driver up there with the likes of Gio. Im sure even today he would give the other B/WTCC drivers a run for their money.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2256496)   #19
Ola
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
Ola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If not mentioned already I would like to add what I think remember is correct: Richard Göransson testing for Mercedes in DTM a few years ago and being quicker than Häkkinen, but it was Häkkinen Mercedes signed.

Maybe someone has better and more accurate information. But as a Swede the thought of having Richard joining Mattias in DTM but driving for Mercedes is pretty mouth-watering.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2256497)   #20
Ola
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
Ola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW - thanks PorscheFan for the YouTube-clip!