Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Jun 2003, 22:04 (Ref:627626)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Isle of Man -- Could Sportscars Race There???

I saw about 5 minutes of the Isle of Man motorcycle racing on Speed the other day, and the way they have the circuit through the streets looked pretty cool...

Is there any logisitical way that the LM Tournament or any sportcar racing be done there???

Would it be seriously dangerous for the fans???

What about other logistics???

I seek help from the British contingent on this one...

Sorry if I seem like a clueless Yank on this one...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 Jun 2003, 22:05 (Ref:627628)   #2
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The Isle of Man -- Could Sportscars Race There???

Impossible.
You'd sooner see the Targa Florio back.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 22:06 (Ref:627630)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just thought I'd ask...the roads looked tight and one wreck would end up in someone's living room...

Thanks!

Old 10 Jun 2003, 22:16 (Ref:627634)   #4
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hell probably has more accomodating roads...
Old 10 Jun 2003, 22:20 (Ref:627638)   #5
Speck
Rookie

Speck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I recall, there is a tarmac rally event held there.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 22:21 (Ref:627639)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I'll bet Satan can sure power slide through the hairpin curves, though!!

Wonder how many "no longer living drivers" are down there running hard laps against him???

Old 10 Jun 2003, 22:41 (Ref:627651)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Speck
If I recall, there is a tarmac rally event held there.
Correct - Road Racing both cars and bikes is band in mainland Britan.

As for car racing on theIsle, yes I would love to see it but I can not see it happening.......

Last edited by rdjones; 10 Jun 2003 at 22:42.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 23:06 (Ref:627670)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Correct - Road Racing both cars and bikes is band in mainland Britan.

As for car racing on theIsle, yes I would love to see it but I can not see it happening.......
Although it has recently been restarted with the Jim Clark Rally in Scotland. Theres also an event planned for somewhere in the Midlands I believe.

As for the Isle of man I think there is a Classic Sportscar timetrial or something similar.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 23:21 (Ref:627682)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see a TT for sports cars mmmmmm. Sportscars
Old 10 Jun 2003, 23:23 (Ref:627684)   #10
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sportscars on the Isle Of Man? Wowow that would be cool.
But it's way way too dangerous. There is no way you could have sportscars there.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 23:39 (Ref:627693)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
But imagine a Viper squirming and sliding around the TT course. Fab.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 00:41 (Ref:627720)   #12
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I can see that. That course could be really cool touring endurance race. Im sure an LMP would get airborne.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 11 Jun 2003, 00:46 (Ref:627723)   #13
skid marques
Rookie

skid marques should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phew! I live there, so I'm biased. We've had several pursuit sprint races in recent years on open roads with Maser 450s replicas, lightweight E-Types, Tojeiros, Tigers, Aston 212, D-Types, Bentleys, 250GTO's and ERAs on closed public roads, but as an uninformed spectator I reckon braking distances were determined by value of the car, rather than gonad size of driver. The Island has the heritage for continued motor sport, but I'm afraid the inevitable accident rate will not inspire political will to develop a road circuit with the safety features of a shorter track that is needed. The TT started with the Gordon Benett trials over here, and the TT will celebrate its centenary in 2007. If there was a 4.5 mile circuit carved out from our rolling countryside with run offs, gravel traps, no street furniture et al, then we could create something. If you think that the centenary should be celebrated by something getting done, then e-mail our Minister of Tourism Leisure and Transport, Dave Cretney at tourism@gov.im and let him know what you think. A good few years ago I got Derek Ongaro ( a director of Lola Cars and the guy that used to be circuit inspector for FISA, as it was)come to the Island to make suggestions for touring car races, but it came to nothing. Locals don't get much of a hearing, though! Geoff Duke also made some suggestions a few years ago as regards a short circuit, but he got nowhere. It could be fantastic if we had someone with vision really prepred to push for it...
By the way, I hope all you LM visitors have a fantastic time at the race this year. Bring back plenty of good stories! (and post them here)
Old 11 Jun 2003, 01:11 (Ref:627734)   #14
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you know Indycar racer Joel Camathias grandfather Florian (or great-uncle, I forget) raced sidecars there?
perhaps he should bring his Indycar over for a blast?
failing that I want to do the Manx GP next year in my kart....
Old 11 Jun 2003, 02:38 (Ref:627779)   #15
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think you would want to run anything bigger than an original Mini there. There is space outside of the towns, but ducking and dodging between houses wouldn't work. You do realize that they lost last year's Formula 1 bike winner just before this year's event? Very dangerous place with a bike or sidecar.

Last edited by flatlander_48; 11 Jun 2003 at 02:38.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 03:22 (Ref:627794)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can race anywhere.

Would it be even remotely safe by today's standards? Not a chance.

A McLaren F1, Dino, or an Ultima around the TT course would be mind-numbingly awesome, though!

Showroom stock Supercars, anyone?

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 11 Jun 2003 at 03:24.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 03:57 (Ref:627799)   #17
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
eh? thatd be like racing on a narrower monaco ...
Old 11 Jun 2003, 07:44 (Ref:627877)   #18
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There have been demonstration laps around the TT course in the past, with the late Tony Pond setting the 100mph car lap record(I think) in a Rover a few years ago.
But I think for any serious modern day sports/gt car the roads are a little to bumpy in places, but it would be brilliant to see.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 07:51 (Ref:627883)   #19
skid marques
Rookie

skid marques should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Derek Bell drove a Porsche 956 round part of the course, and Phil Read raced a bike in time trial against Brian Redman in an F5000 car a few years ago, again over part of the course. Touring cars have been round the circuit at near racing speeds on closed roads, in PR exercises. The police over here are given cars in virtual Group N spec, and they don't waste time getting home for lunch! When Mansell lived over here he'd drive his Testa Rossa at breakneck speed on the course. too.
Cars will never race properly on the full TT circuit, promise.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 07:52 (Ref:627884)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People still get killed on the TT course today don't they?
And quite often too...
Old 11 Jun 2003, 08:12 (Ref:627897)   #21
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
You can race anywhere.
Once.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 08:18 (Ref:627904)   #22
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Although it has recently been restarted with the Jim Clark Rally in Scotland. Theres also an event planned for somewhere in the Midlands I believe.

As for the Isle of man I think there is a Classic Sportscar timetrial or something similar.
In order to hold a motorsport event on closed roads in England, it would require an act of Parliament. Scotland has always had a different judicial system to England and was able to pass the resolutions. The IoM has always allowed the TT and recently the Manx rally, however, the Manx is an event against the clock not another car.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 08:33 (Ref:627924)   #23
Hammerwerfer
Rookie

Ireland
Deutschland/Éire
Hammerwerfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The TT is not a mass start race. The bikes are waved of in pairs I believe. As a time trial for cars it would be interesting but certainly not wheel to wheel. The consequences of a car going off course on a fast bit would be devastating though...

The spectacle of the bikes at speed has to be seen in person to get the full effect. Absolutely amazing!
Old 11 Jun 2003, 13:15 (Ref:628238)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
NOTE TO ALL:

The roads through the twons looks SERIOUSLY dangerous for sportscars at speed, but I just thought I would ask...

Didn't think this one would generate this much discussion though...

Gald it made everyone at least think about the possibilities...or lack thereof

Old 11 Jun 2003, 19:41 (Ref:628720)   #25
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Historic meeting I went to a few years ago and is great fun.It held on a short circuit around Douglas using the TT start,but not the full 37miles. Unfortunately it was cancelled in 2001 due to foot & mouth disease,and last year due to lack of entries(they scheduled it for the same day as the LeMans historic)Seems will not be held again for the forseeable future.No serious accidents AFAIK.