Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 13 Jun 2007, 15:55 (Ref:1936036)   #51
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ya, thats quite the driver line-up at Hendrick.

L.P.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 16:22 (Ref:1936052)   #52
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was obvious, to me, from the news conference that Hendricks and Jr have a pretty good relationship and this should be a good fit for Jr. Jr indicated that he would like to have the #8 on his car at HMS. They also stated that Kyle is talking with DEI about driving for them.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1936107)   #53
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think Junior will keep the #8. Hendrick's numbers carry a lot of history that spans beyond drivers or sponsors. I'd bet that Rick somehow convinces him that the Earnhardt era will be a continuation of the legacy of the 5 or 25 car.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1936198)   #54
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this makes absolutely perfect sense, from both Hendrick's and Jr's perspective. In fact, ever since Earnhardt announced he was leaving DEI, I've expected this.

To win a championship, Jr is going to have to beat both Gordon and Johnson (among other top drivers) in any case; he hasn't been driving equipment equal to theirs, and he will be now. Two of Jeff Gordon's teammates (Johnson and Terry Labonte) have won championships since Gordon has been driving for Hendrick, so it's quite possible to win at Hendrick even if you're not Jeff Gordon. And Jr and Gordon actually get along quite well; Gordon has tremendous respect for Dale Sr, and Jr admires and respects that. Like him or not, Jeff Gordon is the best driver in NASCAR, and Jr respects his talent. They're competitive, yes, but any animosity is purely a creation of their fan bases.

What does Hendrick get? Well in addition to a talented driver, they get oodles and oodles of sponsorship money that will help the most successful current team in NASCAR become even more successful. They've probably got three of the four best and most popular (and yes, Gordon is very popular, in spite of the large number of fans that hate him) drivers in NASCAR, and their visibility is about to got through the roof.

Hendrick has a history with Bud; remember the #25 Ken Schrader Budweiser car from the 1990s? I expect Jr to keep the Bud sponsorship, and drive the #25, with Mears shifting to the #5.

It all makes perfect sense. Now all Jr has to do is win a championship. He will have no excuses if he doesn't. This is a team where the third best driver on the team could win the Cup - and that's exactly what Jr needs...
Old 14 Jun 2007, 00:35 (Ref:1936463)   #55
Jacko44
Racer

Australia
Gelorup WA
Jacko44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Junior can no longer diss his equipment now coz he's gonna be in the best there is... Time to see what he can really do next year.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 08:01 (Ref:1936665)   #56
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It makes sense from a marketing point of view - who wouldn't want JR.

However if a teams goal is to win races and championships Busch (in the long run) is the better bet.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 22:23 (Ref:1937295)   #57
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anheuser-Busch Statement Regarding Dale Earnhardt Jr.: Tony Ponturo, Vice President, Global Media and Sports Marketing Anheuser-Busch, Inc.:

"Anheuser-Busch has enjoyed a remarkable relationship with Dale Earnhardt Jr. since our sponsorship commenced back in 1999. Dale Jr. is an excellent ambassador for the sport and our company, and we look forward to exploring options with Hendrick Motorsports and JR Motorsports to continue Budweiser’s relationship with him as he enters this new stage of his racing career." Per Anheuser-Busch policy, there will not be any additional public comments, nor interview requests granted regarding on-going negotiations or contracts. (fingerprintinc/Budwesier PR)
Old 15 Jun 2007, 02:07 (Ref:1937400)   #58
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, as others have said, this is hardly a surprising move. That is quite a driver line-up...

Next year now has two major, seperate but associated, "stories" of which to keep track (and you can bet the media will do so with intensity). That is to say how DEI and Jr. get on. Presumably DEI will perform worse and Jr. better. I'm personally not convinced he has what it takes to get the better of Johnson/Gordon, certainly not in 2008, but, well, we'll see.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 06:51 (Ref:1937482)   #59
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Well, as others have said, this is hardly a surprising move. That is quite a driver line-up...

Next year now has two major, seperate but associated, "stories" of which to keep track (and you can bet the media will do so with intensity). That is to say how DEI and Jr. get on. Presumably DEI will perform worse and Jr. better. I'm personally not convinced he has what it takes to get the better of Johnson/Gordon, certainly not in 2008, but, well, we'll see.
As long as DEI doesn't implode completely once Junior leaves, they might not be in that bad of shape. They'll be sharing equipment and data with Richard Childress Racing from 2008 onward, so DEI's performance next year may actually improve.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 17:25 (Ref:1937840)   #60
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was glad to hear dale went for Hendrick. For all the nice ties with RCR, Hendrick will give him the best opportunity to win (unless he becomes the new casey Mears!).

Gordon and Dale in the same team. Hmmm... How are the Dale fans taking this?
Old 17 Jun 2007, 02:11 (Ref:1939295)   #61
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Casey Mears went from a Dodge to one of Hendrick's Chevys which was a huge change. It is taking him a while to get used to the new car. Jr will also have some initial problems but they shouldn't be as severe since he is going from Chevy to Chevy.

Everyone seems to be down on Casey but I think he will start improving soon.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 02:43 (Ref:1939309)   #62
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He already has, you could argue.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 15:00 (Ref:1939962)   #63
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
A thought. Financially, Jr may be better with the #5 car instead of bringing the #8 number. Just think of all the merchandise sales that would occur. His fans would all have to buy new T-shirts, hats, etc with the new car number on them. The sales of Jr's merchandise with a new car number would exceed many nation's GNP. The sales would be huge!!!!
Old 17 Jun 2007, 15:04 (Ref:1939965)   #64
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
This is very true.

It could hook in a lot of people daft enough to be sucked in.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 02:55 (Ref:1943864)   #65
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Junior has now signed a sponsorship deal with Sony.

http://www.sonyracing.com/pressrelease.html
Old 22 Jun 2007, 07:44 (Ref:1943960)   #66
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I bet he gets a nice fee for that deal.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 19:59 (Ref:1944537)   #67
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow sony?!
Old 23 Jun 2007, 04:06 (Ref:1944743)   #68
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just don't let Sony supply the batteries.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 14:59 (Ref:1947311)   #69
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
It will be a lot harder for Jr. to get #8 at Hendrick due to the fact that the teams do not own the numbers, but NASCAR does.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/s...d=2&id=2916723
Old 26 Jun 2007, 15:31 (Ref:1947330)   #70
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
That's a mere technicality. Jr will run #8 next year. That is a cast-iron certainty.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 15:46 (Ref:1947342)   #71
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
That's a mere technicality. Jr will run #8 next year. That is a cast-iron certainty.
It could be a major problem if DEI decides that they want to keep #8, but they are probably willing to let Hendrick use it.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 15:52 (Ref:1947346)   #72
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Minor detail. People have been screaming all year that DEI are only in it to make money. Well, if that's true, here's a great opportunity for them to make a few million bucks for doing nothing whatsoever.

Trust me, it'll be on the car next year. And Nascar ain't gonna object - it's one of the most well recognised symbols of the sport.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 15:19 (Ref:1962532)   #73
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Earnhardt won't drive Bud car in '08
ESPN.com news services

Now we know who won't have Budweiser as a primary sponsor in 2008.

Hendrick Motorsports announced Friday that Dale Earnhardt Jr. will not bring the "King of Beers" with him when he drives for the team next season. Hendrick did not say who will be Earnhardt's primary sponsor instead of Budweiser, which Earnhardt has driven for since he first entered NASCAR nearly a decade ago.

"We have agreements in place with sponsors for the 2008 NASCAR Sprint Cup season, which prevent us from having a relationship with Budweiser," team owner Rick Hendrick said in a news release. "Honoring our commitments is important to us. The trade-off is missing an opportunity to bring Budweiser, a marquee brand synonymous with NASCAR and its fans, into the fold."

ESPN.com previously reported that PepsiCo Inc., possibly with the Mountain Dew brand or a combination of Pepsi products, is expected to sponsor Earnhardt next season at Hendrick, while Anheuser-Busch is negotiating with Evernham Motorsports to possibly move the Bud sponsorship to Kasey Kahne's No. 9 Dodge next season.

Budweiser did not immediately announce which driver it will sponsor, but indicated that it would remain an active NASCAR sponsor. Terry Labonte, Darrell Waltrip, Bill Elliott, Ken Schrader, Ricky Craven and Wally Dallenbach have previously driven Budweiser-sponsored cars.

"To climb into that red Budweiser car each weekend has always been a privilege," Earnhardt said in the release. "Although Budweiser and I will be unable to continue our partnership beyond this season, I remain committed to driving for Bud the rest of this year, and will continue to make it my beer of choice."
Old 13 Jul 2007, 16:40 (Ref:1962601)   #74
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Didn't actually think that'd happen!
Old 13 Jul 2007, 16:58 (Ref:1962618)   #75
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't DW say as much on Wind Tunnel a few weeks ago.