Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 8 Jan 2013, 21:27 (Ref:3186580)   #26
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey all,

No idea why this idea came into my head, or what exactly it would be used for but.... urm... hey, a race track running through a castle!

I don't have any track lengths, its probably completely out of scale and I won't be working on it any further.

Enjoy, and Happy New Year
Attached Thumbnails
15 castle.png  
Old 9 Jan 2013, 00:43 (Ref:3186638)   #27
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKGThunder View Post
Hey all,

No idea why this idea came into my head, or what exactly it would be used for but.... urm... hey, a race track running through a castle!

I don't have any track lengths, its probably completely out of scale and I won't be working on it any further.

Enjoy, and Happy New Year
Hmmm... OK.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 00:38 (Ref:3188742)   #28
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like all your tracks. This one is no exception.

bio
Old 23 Jan 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3193443)   #29
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
I've been enjoying looking back through my designs and seeing which ones could be improved. This is a major adaptation of a track I designed about a year ago. (major as in: only the corner to the far left of the screen and the two straights connecting it survived the chop )

I will work out lengths later, as well as show the different configs (pretty obvious tho) and some better quality images.

I thought it would be cool to have a curving pit straight since I dont think this has featured in my designs before. The long straight towards the end of the lap was a design decision to hopefully make for a thrilling slimstream battle for the lead right on the final lap. There is a bank/ridge between the pit straight and the back straight, allowing general admission spectators to move freely and see many different parts of the circuit.

Runs clockwise.
Attached Thumbnails
5 majorly seriously adjusted.png  
Old 24 Jan 2013, 00:08 (Ref:3193456)   #30
bio
Veteran

Hungary
What could I say... another very good one from you.

bio
Old 31 Jan 2013, 15:26 (Ref:3196613)   #31
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Ok, as promised, more pics.

Full circuit: 4.8km
Short Circuit: 2.8km
Oval*: 2.2km

*The Oval isn't really an oval, more of a short loop. There is a wider area at the end of the pit straight for a chicane to be built if the cars will be reaching the first corner of the oval at dangerous speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
5 majorly seriously adjusted Corner Numbers.png   5 majorly seriously adjusted Corner Detail.png   5 majorly seriously adjusted Pit Entry.jpg  

5 majorly seriously adjusted Full.png   5 majorly seriously adjusted Short.png   5 majorly seriously adjusted Oval.png  

Old 31 Jan 2013, 23:07 (Ref:3196802)   #32
the_calculator
Rookie

Netherlands
the_calculator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done.
You've made it look like the terrain is heavily involved in the tracks layout; very organic, very realistic.

The Short Circuit is my favorite.
Old 1 Feb 2013, 01:56 (Ref:3196857)   #33
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_calculator View Post
Well done.
You've made it look like the terrain is heavily involved in the tracks layout; very organic, very realistic.

The Short Circuit is my favorite.
I agree... very, very nice.
Old 2 Feb 2013, 17:46 (Ref:3198227)   #34
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A nice design indeed. I agree it's very natural looking. WTCC surely would love to visit there.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 20:16 (Ref:3198733)   #35
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Thanks for the kind words fellas. I put lot of effort into this one, and it took a while to get right. Hopefully I'll have some more content soon.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3206967)   #36
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Once again, here is a new one, more pics and details to follow once it is more complete. Tried to go for an old style circuit this time, taking inspiration from the older British circuits. More soon!
Attached Thumbnails
16 low.png   16 low pit in.png   16 low pit out.png  

Old 19 Feb 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3207196)   #37
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this track is pretty challenging for the drivers. Especially the part from the far north of the track to the south-east is a blast.
I'm not very fond of your solution of the pits. The entry is very unsafe, with the pointy side of a wall to close to the run-off area of a big brakingzone.
My solution would be to move the pits and paddock much further to the west, with the entry well into the straight, and the exit after the righthander.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 14:02 (Ref:3207322)   #38
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
I'm not very fond of your solution of the pits. The entry is very unsafe, with the pointy side of a wall to close to the run-off area of a big brakingzone.
Thanks for the comments. I can see your concern, Im not very happy with the way it is at the moment either. This isn't finished yet, so I can still easily make changes without too much work. I will try to figure out another solution with the current Pit/paddock location, and I will relocate to the west if I can't figure it out!

I'm glad you like the circuit.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 14:28 (Ref:3207333)   #39
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The most obvious solution to the pit in, is to curl the wall around on itself, showing a rounded face (with tyres or barrier in front) to a "straight on" accident. It would push the pitlane up to the garages further away from the straight a little, but you could compensate for that by having more of a Shanghai style straight on entry into the
pits.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3207347)   #40
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
I think I've found a better solution. Obviously, tire barriers and protection will be added when I add my details. (I did have to reduce the pit/paddock area slightly)
Attached Thumbnails
16 low pit in new.png  
Old 25 Feb 2013, 19:13 (Ref:3210618)   #41
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Sneak peak
Attached Thumbnails
17 karting sneak peak.png  
Old 2 Mar 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3213252)   #42
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Its great to see the forum more active recently. Heres a new one.

4.5km. Fast sweeping corners and long straights forcing teams to make a compromise between straight-line speed and downforce for the turns.

Optional chicane on the last turn.
Attached Thumbnails
17 overview.png   17 chicane.png  
Old 2 Mar 2013, 18:57 (Ref:3213279)   #43
bio
Veteran

Hungary
This one's just about immaculate. Fantastic.

bio
Old 2 Mar 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3213397)   #44
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can you show a more detailed view of the pit entrance and exit roads please.

The entry looks to cut across a gravel trap, and the exit uses the tarmac run off?

I'd tuck both behind a wall on the outside to the gravel.
Old 2 Mar 2013, 23:49 (Ref:3213404)   #45
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Can you show a more detailed view of the pit entrance and exit roads please.

The entry looks to cut across a gravel trap, and the exit uses the tarmac run off?

I'd tuck both behind a wall on the outside to the gravel.
The pit entry actually follows the outside curve of the gravel trap for the last corner, but I decided to add a little extra around the outside of the pit entry in case someone overcooks it.

Same with the exit, it follows the outside of the runoff at the first kink. The gravel around the outside is only there in case of a tangle at the kink.
Attached Thumbnails
17 pit entry detail.png   17 pit exit detail.png  
Old 3 Mar 2013, 00:27 (Ref:3213417)   #46
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Now that I can see the pit ente and the wall clearer, the entry is fine.

THe exit though, I have an issue with as a straight on accident has to cross the pit exit at pretty much 90 degrees before getting to the gravel. A car coming around the pit wall would be hit broadside.

I'd move the gravel in to join the runoff, continue the pit wall around the corner outside the gravel for a bit, before bringing the exit lane back to track, possibly the gravel doesn't need to be quite as long, so the rejoin point wouldn't be that far away from where it is now.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 23:57 (Ref:3213861)   #47
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Now that I can see the pit ente and the wall clearer, the entry is fine.

THe exit though, I have an issue with as a straight on accident has to cross the pit exit at pretty much 90 degrees before getting to the gravel. A car coming around the pit wall would be hit broadside.

I'd move the gravel in to join the runoff, continue the pit wall around the corner outside the gravel for a bit, before bringing the exit lane back to track, possibly the gravel doesn't need to be quite as long, so the rejoin point wouldn't be that far away from where it is now.
Good shout. Adjusted now. I will show the karting circuit tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
17 pit exit detail new.png  
Old 4 Mar 2013, 00:21 (Ref:3213869)   #48
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Yeah that's much better.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 15:10 (Ref:3231541)   #49
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKGThunder View Post
I will show the karting circuit tomorrow.
Well, that was a long 24 hours. Oh well, here we go!

*DISCLAIMER* I know little to nothing about karting track design, but it looked fun and I gave it a go...

1. The Grid and paddock (if you could call it that). I wish I'd left more space in the infield for the paddock, it seems a bit cramped. Space for parking, a workshop and a few admin buildings. There is a bit of space for awnings for teams etc..

2. The first chicane. This would be bypassed on the first lap to avoid tangles. (I know this is done at other tracks, right?)

3. A fast right hander into the 2nd chicane. I like the flow of this part of the circuit.

4. The third chicane. Optional, advisable, since entry speeds into the following fast right hander close to the wall could be considered dangerous.

5. The right hander under the bridge. You need to get as close to the wall as possible to ensure the best line into the last all-important sequence of corners.

6. The final turns. Precision is needed to make sure you get the best exit possible to carry speed onto the start/finish straight.

You may have noticed roads branching off from the course, these add variation and customization of circuit configuration (!) but I won't go into these now

What do you think? Like I said, this was fun to do but I know there will be things wrong with the design, so please share your thoughts! Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
(1) 17 karting Grid and paddock.png   (2) 17 karting 1st chicane.png   (3) 17 karting top turn and 2nd chicane.png  

(4) 17 karting 3rd chicane.png   (5) 17 karting under the bridge.png   (6) 17 karting final turns.png  

Old 9 Apr 2013, 15:11 (Ref:3231542)   #50
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Oh, and sorry for the bad picture quality.

Also, there's been a lot of activity since I was last on, I'm looking forward to having a look through to see what everyone's been up to! Here's a plan view, its the loop in the middle
Attached Thumbnails
17 karting.png