Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 6 Dec 2016, 17:12 (Ref:3694223)   #26
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Not sure if there is a need for GT cars to be faster overall than they are now. With the new LMP2 formula in place, that class will be so much faster now. We don't have a scenario anymore where in theory if you could bump the GT cars a little then we can have a overall fight between LMP and GT cars like in the 1990's at Le Mans. Its kinda too bad in a ways but at least the categories won't ever get tangled with each other anymore. This is especially going to be true once LMPC goes away for good in IMSA.

Maybe there could be some interclass mess ups between GT and LMP3 still in ELMS but that is limited too since ELMS GT is really GTE Am. It would be a huge mess if you ever had a GTE Pro and an LMP3 class in the same race but I don't think you have that anywhere right now. That is a good thing. GTLM and LMPC in IMSA is the closest to that and we won't have to deal with that more much longer. By my count there are only 7 races in 2017 were GTLM and LMPC are on the same grid.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 17:14 (Ref:3694227)   #27
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Maybe there could be some interclass mess ups between GT and LMP3 still in ELMS but ...
...talk to Mike Hedlund about what sort of a hair-pulling thing it is to encounter a P3 in your GT in ELMS.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 18:06 (Ref:3694242)   #28
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not sure if there is a need for GT cars to be faster overall than they are now. With the new LMP2 formula in place, that class will be so much faster now. We don't have a scenario anymore where in theory if you could bump the GT cars a little then we can have a overall fight between LMP and GT cars like in the 1990's at Le Mans. Its kinda too bad in a ways but at least the categories won't ever get tangled with each other anymore. This is especially going to be true once LMPC goes away for good in IMSA.

Maybe there could be some interclass mess ups between GT and LMP3 still in ELMS but that is limited too since ELMS GT is really GTE Am. It would be a huge mess if you ever had a GTE Pro and an LMP3 class in the same race but I don't think you have that anywhere right now. That is a good thing. GTLM and LMPC in IMSA is the closest to that and we won't have to deal with that more much longer. By my count there are only 7 races in 2017 were GTLM and LMPC are on the same grid.
I do not agree with you, I would like to see GTE much faster than now, In the overall fight or even at the level of the LMP2.
The overall fight between LMP and GT cars in the 1990's was fantastic and the fight between LMP1 and LMP2 in the ALMS was fantastic too.
I would like to see overall categories fights again.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 18:58 (Ref:3694268)   #29
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
I do not agree with you, I would like to see GTE much faster than now, In the overall fight or even at the level of the LMP2.
The overall fight between LMP and GT cars in the 1990's was fantastic and the fight between LMP1 and LMP2 in the ALMS was fantastic too.
I would like to see overall categories fights again.
I think you misinterpreted me a little bit. I do agree with you 100% but I am not sure you can raise GTE or GT3 cars to the level of the DPI/2017 LMP2 levels though. The 2016 LMP2's perhaps. But since that is not the case anymore and due to the fact that IMSA and WEC does not have a PC or P3 to worry about anymore. Then lets not go over the top and try to stabilize both GTE/LM and GTD for the rest of the decade.

But yeah remember the 2015 Petit Le Mans when the rain was the great equalizer. We saw genuine battles on track between GTLM and DP's and it that got me so pumped. I was hoping that IMSA would take a queue from that and let the classes get closer together in speed for 2016 but that did not happen. I think all of us who watched that day were cheering for a GT car to win and they did!
Old 6 Dec 2016, 19:01 (Ref:3694270)   #30
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
...talk to Mike Hedlund about what sort of a hair-pulling thing it is to encounter a P3 in your GT in ELMS.
I'm sure Mr. Hedlund would have a lot to say and it would be great to hear. I recall him talking about driving an LMPC car in the middle of the GTLM lead fight at Watkins Glen in 2014. That was a very fascinating story. Love hearing his commentary about interclass activity on-track. Always gets my attention.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 19:12 (Ref:3694273)   #31
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can get an impression here and there:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Overall, racing a GTE car at Spa was one of the coolest things I've ever done, even if it was difficult to drive and I didn't do as good of a job as I should have. A bunch of the prototype drivers (but not all of them) were complete c*nts the entire weekend. GTE and LMP3 cars really do not mix well with their current performance windows, it's not enjoyable to be in a race with them.

(...in FP2...) Two laps later I caught a P3 car and he started blocking me to keep from overtaking him. I hit him coming out La Source (on the exit!) as he tried to block me again. That's the first time I damaged the RSR -- both front corners and the nose in one session. But, some of the prototype drivers only understand it when they get hit.
I mentioned these as I think you are wrong in not expecting problems in ELMS-GTE vs. P3 in its current state. I'm curious as to what the ELMS will do with the unleashed "new" GTEs wrt P3/class balance. P3 as the trailing cars of the field? Or boost the P3s so they're back in the mix with GTEs?
Old 6 Dec 2016, 19:33 (Ref:3694277)   #32
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-_dq_nZp10
Old 6 Dec 2016, 19:55 (Ref:3694283)   #33
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think you misinterpreted me a little bit. I do agree with you 100% but I am not sure you can raise GTE or GT3 cars to the level of the DPI/2017 LMP2 levels though. The 2016 LMP2's perhaps. But since that is not the case anymore and due to the fact that IMSA and WEC does not have a PC or P3 to worry about anymore. Then lets not go over the top and try to stabilize both GTE/LM and GTD for the rest of the decade.

But yeah remember the 2015 Petit Le Mans when the rain was the great equalizer. We saw genuine battles on track between GTLM and DP's and it that got me so pumped. I was hoping that IMSA would take a queue from that and let the classes get closer together in speed for 2016 but that did not happen. I think all of us who watched that day were cheering for a GT car to win and they did!
You are right, It would be very difficult to get the LMP2 level with the current cars, they should develop to GT more extreme type Laferrari, 918 and Mc Laren P1. Maybe the Ford GT is the only one of the current in this category, of course it was the only one specifically designed.
In addition the weight should reduce to about 1000 or 1050 kg and the power should go to near 800Hp. And of course larger diffusers and rear wings.

I also enjoy Petit LM 2015!!
Old 6 Dec 2016, 20:33 (Ref:3694290)   #34
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
lol
Old 30 Dec 2016, 13:55 (Ref:3699107)   #35
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
GTE news for 2017:
* Reduction 6 to 4 in the numbers of tyres permitted to be used in Qualifying an the race for the 6 Hour events.
* Possible BOP process different for Le Mans and the 6 hours races

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/1...a-wec-gte.html
Old 27 Jan 2017, 16:27 (Ref:3705595)   #36
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Lexus Evaluating GTLM Program

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/le...-gtlm-program/
Old 28 Jan 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3705786)   #37
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Key points in that article...

1. Cash.
2. Utilizing GT3 car as basis for GTE(thanks, BMW)
3. They don't really want to sell customer cars, but, they kinda have to for GT3...and moving to GTE avoids that mess.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 28 Jan 2017, 16:07 (Ref:3705790)   #38
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post

1. Cash.
3. They don't really want to sell customer cars, but, they kinda have to for GT3...and moving to GTE avoids that mess.
The new Supra would be such a better GTLM platform for TRD
Old 28 Jan 2017, 21:06 (Ref:3706010)   #39
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post

1. Cash.
Who is he speaking for, Lexus in general or just Lexus North America/USA? I would assume the latter, as he mentions "This is our re-entry into racing" which dismisses Lexus efforts in Super GT, Super Taikyu and VLN; perhaps Lexus do want to sell customer cars and be represented beyond LM Corsa, Emil Frey, Farnbacher and the NA team/s(?). Being unwilling or reluctant to sell customer cars betrays the very reason for the existence of the GT3 class.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 21:21 (Ref:3706044)   #40
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
The new Supra would be such a better GTLM platform for TRD
The new Toyota Supra could be in GT3/GTD and the I would like to see the Lexus LC 500 in GTLM.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 22:24 (Ref:3706145)   #41
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Who is he speaking for, Lexus in general or just Lexus North America/USA? I would assume the latter, as he mentions "This is our re-entry into racing" which dismisses Lexus efforts in Super GT, Super Taikyu and VLN; perhaps Lexus do want to sell customer cars and be represented beyond LM Corsa, Emil Frey, Farnbacher and the NA team/s(?). Being unwilling or reluctant to sell customer cars betrays the very reason for the existence of the GT3 class.
I have no idea. When he says "our" I assume he means the US efforts, or perhaps factory.

It doesn't matter, the rumoured program has already been squashed....Dagys again too quick to be accurate. #scooptacular

GTLM efforts have been shelved until the GT3 program has success, which, might be tough if Pruett is going to stuff it, and write off the chassis...Sebring might be tough for the #14 with the need for a total chassis rebuild needed now.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 30 Jan 2017, 00:16 (Ref:3707651)   #42
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
tigas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me, the main point of GTE was to move away from homologation specials. You take a production car chassis and make the best racing machine based on the GTE rulebook.

Things that don't fit (IMHO):
-Limited production run (avoids manufacturers building a loss-leader by limiting their loss on the production version as Porsche used to do)
-changing the wheelbase and traction layout
-if possible, don't use an engine not related to a production model on the car's lineup - not necessarily a production engine, but the same size, layout and charging method (N/A, turbo, super or both)
Old 30 Jan 2017, 06:01 (Ref:3707702)   #43
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Someone posted a magazine scan on the 911 RSR GTE thread with what seem to be an explanation of the GTE rules. If that's correct, I'm not only wrong about the Porsche, I'm also wrong about the Ford!

Old 30 Jan 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3707867)   #44
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigas View Post
Someone posted a magazine scan on the 911 RSR GTE thread with what seem to be an explanation of the GTE rules. If that's correct, I'm not only wrong about the Porsche, I'm also wrong about the Ford!

Porsche can re-positioned the engine because the 911 is produced in more or 2500 examples for year.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 19:09 (Ref:3707875)   #45
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
That's what I was saying. Porsche can change their engine position, and Ford can build a bespoke racing machine as long as they build more than 300 - they're making 750 road-going FordGTs.
who wrote these regulations?
Old 30 Jan 2017, 19:10 (Ref:3707876)   #46
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
making or has made?
who's to say they wont stop at 299

Ciao Marco
Old 30 Jan 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3707882)   #47
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
making or has made?
who's to say they wont stop at 299
There was a contest for 500 cars. 7000 letters of interest were filed. After winning LeMans 2016, Ford said they would build 250, and then 250 more. So, 1000, not 750

First Ford GT customer car rolls off production line

Old 30 Jan 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3707886)   #48
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i would've liked to see the numbers built .. and than race the car.. but hey .. it's not up to me

Ciao Marco
Old 30 Jan 2017, 20:02 (Ref:3707889)   #49
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Me too...
Old 30 Jan 2017, 20:50 (Ref:3707897)   #50
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigas View Post
That's what I was saying. Porsche can change their engine position, and Ford can build a bespoke racing machine as long as they build more than 300 - they're making 750 road-going FordGTs.
who wrote these regulations?
The Ford is not a bespoke race car placed on the street. And it's not a Homologation special like the late 90's gt1's. It's basically the same category of car as the 488 and McLaren 650. Take a look at the thing if you can online. It's pretty far from a just street racecar. I think because the shape or it's aero concept, people get the idea it's nothing but a racecar. Even if it were, how about the original Ford GT40?