Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 27 Feb 2018, 16:26 (Ref:3804337)   #76
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The very best of luck to them with 2 new classes. It might work in the US where they are more used to one make (everything the same) races. I really hope IMG or their successor never will get this idea, it would kill rallycross for me.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3804342)   #77
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, it's all about the numbers and potential support . This also seems to replace the Lites, so it's just the Polaris class and the Gold class. If they get 40 cars plus some support then I'm sure it will still be a fun event. Anything less and I worry that they won't get the crowds.

I always find releasing the ticket price before the event is known to be an odd move (same with Silverstone). If entries turn out to be disappointing (or the organiser cancels the premier car class!!) it leaves you exposed with overpriced tickets and no way to reduce prices unless you refund to those who bought early bird tickets. Same with Silverstone, let's just say that they are not selling as many as they would like, how can they now offer bargain prices? If it was 40 quid for the weekend I dare say I'd be tempted (other than the fact I've now booked a holiday to Kyrgyzstan).
Old 27 Feb 2018, 16:42 (Ref:3804344)   #78
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Same with Silverstone, let's just say that they are not selling as many as they would like, how can they now offer bargain prices? If it was 40 quid for the weekend I dare say I'd be tempted (other than the fact I've now booked a holiday to Kyrgyzstan).
Silverstone do potentially have a way to reduce prices: offer tickets without access to the music portion of the event (assuming the layout of the event makes it possible to restrict seeing one thing without the other).

I agree that this must make things very difficult for Lydden: based on the original press release they surely didn't know this was coming?
Old 27 Feb 2018, 18:31 (Ref:3804370)   #79
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems a real shame and a rather pathetic situation considering the sport was invented over here.

I guess we are victims of our own success, they get bigger crowds just about anywhere for WRX, but they will struggle at Silverstone, but they won't care as the majority of people there will not be interested in the racing.

That has a knock on effect in merch sales, advance sales next year and exposure via social media etc the drivers wont feel a push after an event like they may do now. Though it will likely all be wrapped up in the Speedmachine moniker so they will say its a success whatever.

For Lydden I was never going anyway, the pricing was ridiculous for likely 11 cars and the supports would never be enough to persuade me to go unless they got a stack of Europeans there and an invitational supernational event, which is what most event need anyway, it works, always has done, yet is always just ignored apart from guess where? Scandinavia.

It's an awful time of year to have an event, and as said before they are just trying to cash in on losing WRX, the prices are far too high and the entry and everything is simply garbage.

A lot of folk will not be like me and simply disregard it on principle, if some great announcements are made then maybe I might change my mind, but if this is anything like the farcical Superprix at Croft then I don't expect anything other than what is posted.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 01:59 (Ref:3804440)   #80
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
but if this is anything like the farcical Superprix at Croft then I don't expect anything other than what is posted.
Have to say with each passing year, I look back at the early Croft Superprix with more affection. Okay, they were never a match for the early days of the Grand Prix at Brands. But when the ferries were running to Newcastle, Peter Stott did get the Supernational over, and there was always a few names or interesting cars in the Supercars, and most importantly some jolly good racing. I did miss the last Superprix at Croft, but the others I attended, I never left disappointed.

Cannot imagine will we ever get a grid of Scandinavian Supernationals racing in the UK again.

Suppose the best we could hope for, would be a return of the joint British/Belgium meetings, with the Belgium Supernationals.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3804661)   #81
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The very early Superprix's were decent enough. I think I went in the earlyu years and there were several tope notch ERC guys there and a bunch of Supernationals.

It was a great weekend, final round of BRC the day before and then this, it was not just the same guys racing both days.

40 odd Stock Hatches aswell, it was a bumper weekend.

It could happen again but I somehow doubt it. There just is not the logistics and money to get them here
Old 7 Mar 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3806651)   #82
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
40 Stock Hatches - happy days!

Where are they now? Where are the drivers? I guess that's what happens if you ban the cheapest class in rallycross in the hope of everyone buying Swifts. Now BRX have done the same to the hot hatch category and ditched that too! Madness.

A couple of guys at my local motor club were looking to get into rallycross. They found that they are now so few active drivers that there is barely a market in cars (except perhaps at the top level) making it even harder to get in the sport.

Worse still, a lot of popular used rallycars just don't fit in the BRX structure or would be uncompetitive in the lower classes (Can't run 205s, 206s, Civics, Fiestas etc).

The whole thing needs a rethink - but we've been saying this for years.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 20:24 (Ref:3806704)   #83
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Stock Hatch was full of cheating and they were pretty pricey to run at the end. Always happens with supposed cheap classes, the first few years were cheap, but then you had guys running few years old Saxo's and stuff and it got out of hand.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3813229)   #84
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right can anybody here tell us just what we can expect to see at Lydden for this event because I'm totally lost.Glad to see that rallycross is still doing its best **** it all up.
I wonder what the Dorans take on it is as it all not what originally advertised.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 13:09 (Ref:3813232)   #85
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
Right can anybody here tell us just what we can expect to see at Lydden for this event because I'm totally lost.Glad to see that rallycross is still doing its best **** it all up.
Based on what we know so far you should definitely see:

- "Gold" class rallycross cars (RX Lites with some bits nailed to them)
- Polaris buggies.

And you will hopefully see:

- "Platinum" class rallycross cars (space frame, 1000 KG, 4WD & with 450+ BHP).

Six months until the event though, so things may (and probably will!) change before then.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 14:46 (Ref:3813262)   #86
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
To be fair, with that woeful line up I think they have bought a pup

And are trying to make you the public pay for it.

Easy choice then.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3813285)   #87
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Based on what we know so far you should definitely see:

- "Gold" class rallycross cars (RX Lites with some bits nailed to them)
- Polaris buggies.

And you will hopefully see:

Six months until the event though, so things may (and probably will!) change before then.
Do that mean Foust, Speed and others? For a simpleton like me please do tell
if it don't non event then will have to amend any earlier posts
Old 6 Apr 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3813311)   #88
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As lydden have dropped using Foust and Speeds names from the promtion for me its unlikely they will be there or possibly any of last years drivers, and definately none of the cars as there is no class for them.

As for the Platinum class,GRC are saying there will be a "demo race" at Lydden where its being launched. We will have to wait and see on that, certainly won't be buying tickets before I know for sure what we are going to see.

Still think they should run this on the Saturday and relaunch the GP on the Sunday and try and get a few over from Europe for it.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 17:45 (Ref:3813320)   #89
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
Do that mean Foust, Speed and others? For a simpleton like me please do tell
if it don't non event then will have to amend any earlier posts
Seems highly unlikely they will be there: Volkswagen and Subaru have committed to a new US rallycross series so one assumes that Foust, Speed, Sandell and Atkinson will all be participating in that.

It remains to be seen what sort of driver numbers the GRC is going to get this year.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 02:45 (Ref:3813450)   #90
juha205
Rookie

Spain
Galicia (Northwest Spain)
juha205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post

LOL this is the same that french division 3
Old 17 Apr 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3816146)   #91
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lydden Hill has been deleted from the GRC's Facebook events page, as have other events apparently. Got a feeling this might not be happening.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3816173)   #92
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Lydden Hill has been deleted from the GRC's Facebook events page, as have other events apparently. Got a feeling this might not be happening.
If you look on the GRC website itself there are no events listed either - and all the recent news items relate to iracing.

?
Old 17 Apr 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3816207)   #93
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hello, at 1:04 am ET we received notification from the Red Bull Global Rally Cross organization it was ceasing operations for the 2018 season effective immediately. Their hope is to reorganize and start back up in 2019.

RBGRC is going to be issuing refunds next week to all who had already purchased tickets for events.

Thanks;

Tim Packman
Track President
From the Lancaster Speedway Facebook page. So there ya go.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 17:58 (Ref:3816225)   #94
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Lol, that is utterly hilarious!
Old 17 Apr 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3816236)   #95
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah, I bet all those involved, particularly all those employees who are currently searching for a new job, or participants who may have wasted money on a Gold car, are having a good old belly laugh now. And I bet Pat and Pucher are just boarding a plane to the States so they can join in the fun too. Honestly Chunder, you'd give an aspirin a headache.

It's a shame this has backfired, particularly on Lydden who may have had the opportunity to host an ERX round this year or next. The fans miss out and maybe Lydden suffers financially this year. Limited sympathy for a wealthy family, maybe, but nevertheless a shame.

Personally I hope lessons are learnt and, something I do agree with you Chunder, the sport is nowhere near big enough to support 5 or so international series. I'd rather there was one true World championships, then an American and a European one. Even that is a stretch.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 21:13 (Ref:3816244)   #96
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Honestly Chunder, you'd give an aspirin a headache.
😂😂😂😂😂👍
Old 17 Apr 2018, 22:48 (Ref:3816265)   #97
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://autoweek.com/article/racing/r...l-unpaid-bills

This is stunning.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 06:09 (Ref:3816297)   #98
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://jalopnik.com/ugly-lawsuit-do...bal-1825327602

This article has a lot more juicy details.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 07:50 (Ref:3816307)   #99
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM View Post
https://jalopnik.com/ugly-lawsuit-do...bal-1825327602

This article has a lot more juicy details.
I am normally very sceptical of Jalopnik articles (especially concerning rallycross) as they tend to be inaccurate and/or based on questionable sources.

Given that seems to be quoting actual legal documentation though, it seems pretty damming.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3816319)   #100
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder what Pucher thinks of all of this and if it will affect his plans. After all, he was in a way the potential "saviour" of GRC.