Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 5 Dec 2001, 06:33 (Ref:182410)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why isn't NASCAR sanctioning stock car series outside of the US?

NASCAR seems to be a fairly recognizable name in many countries outside the U.S. I have wondered why they haven't capitalized on this and started sanctioning stock car series in Canada, Australia, Great Britain, and Brazil. I know that Bill France and company have visions of expanding internationally but it seems that they missed a golden opportunity when ASCAR started having problems. The NFL created NFL-Europe, why not NASCAR-European Cup?

Last edited by Joe Fan; 5 Dec 2001 at 06:35.
Old 5 Dec 2001, 18:21 (Ref:182635)   #2
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why should they? They're having too much of a good thing in the US!
Would NASCAR have the stomach to aggressively promote stock car racing elsewhere in the world? It's pretty easy for them to get exposure in the US, but it would be a big fight for them to take the NASCAR name abroad.

NFL-Europe rarely makes any headlines, well in the UK they are on SKY Sports , but that's a football pay tv channel.

Don't forget that NASCAR gave Eurosport the tv rights to Cup for free, I wish they forced euroflop to show more of it earlier in the week!
Old 5 Dec 2001, 18:38 (Ref:182651)   #3
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I would love to see NASCAR as an international sport. I have to agree with BB. It is a homeboy sport & for them to take it to other countries would only add to the headachs they are presently facing.

I loved it when they went to Japan....but it never really caught on there. IF they were going to start something, it would have stemmed from that effort.
Old 5 Dec 2001, 18:45 (Ref:182657)   #4
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The first racetrack they went to in Japan was Suzuka, certainly is one of the top-5 best race circuits in the world, lots of sweeping turns and turns that 'flow' into each other.

Motegi, is located way up in the mountains and access wasn't that great, I bet if Honda did come to Winston Cup or Busch series that they'd push to have a race back there.
Old 5 Dec 2001, 18:47 (Ref:182658)   #5
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't mind going back to Japan...
I think the teams were all complaining about the costs though.
Old 5 Dec 2001, 18:55 (Ref:182666)   #6
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Well it isn't cheap to transport 40 or so cars + eqipment + personel,

F1 have agreements where the teams costs to the 'fly-aways' are minimised.

Not to mention that the funding for a NASCAR team is nowhere near as large as an F1 team.

now $30m vs $130m (2 car NASCAR team)
Old 5 Dec 2001, 20:07 (Ref:182705)   #7
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Why isn't NASCAR sanctioning stock car series outside of the US?

I hope no-one is suggesting that Nascar add international races to the Winston Cup schedule! That's not the way that I read Joe's question.

There are probably a number of reasons, but a couple spring to mind.

Firstly, there are the tracks. There is only one in Australia that I know of. AFAIK there are 2 in Japan, and they have just built tracks in England and Germany. Not much of a base to build a series on, even if they use a few road courses.

Secondly, there are the local sanctioning bodies. Nascar are pretty much a law unto themselves (and that works). It works a little differently elsewhere. I can really only speak for Australia, where there is a national sanctioning body (CAMS) that oversees all motorsport and are linked with the FIA. Organizers don't have to get a CAMS permit to run a race (there are some who don't), but things will get tricky if they don't. CAMS has been known to withhold other permits if an organizer runs an event that they haven't sanctioned! It all gets very messy, and is often more trouble than it is worth to the track owners and event organizers. I suspect that it is the same elsewhere.

Thirdly, there is the spectator appeal of running such a series internationally (as RoseLady alluded to). There are an awful lot of people in the States who grew up with Nascar style racing, which is just not the case in a lot of other places. So, even though the racing format holds a lot of appeal, it generally doesn't have the pre-existing broad base of support - it would have to be built; and then you need to ask the question "Is it worth it?".

As to Brazil, ? Maybe an opportunity there...
Old 6 Dec 2001, 07:50 (Ref:182847)   #8
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Re: Why isn't NASCAR sanctioning stock car series outside of the US?

Quote:
Originally posted by Emfa
I hope no-one is suggesting that Nascar add international races to the Winston Cup schedule! That's not the way that I read Joe's question.
You are right, Winston Cup will exhaust its drivers and teams before they exhaust potential markets in the U.S. What I was suggesting is for NASCAR to promote its name and sanction series abroad. If ASCAR starts slipping, NASCAR could rescue it give it clot and name recognition by sanctioning the series. The it could nurture it along to expand their presence internationally.

Since the tracks outside of the U.S> aren't owned by NASCAR, track owners probably would be overjoyed to field a "NASCAR" race compared to a ASCAR race. NASCAR would still take in money but it would be due to their expertise in running a series and through name recoginition.
Old 6 Dec 2001, 13:44 (Ref:182918)   #9
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I think the reasons are numerous, and varied. The biggest one, I think, is the time that it would take away from promoting in the domestic market. NASCAR worked it's butt off for years to become the top racing series in the United States. They know the United States market, and what it took them to get to where they are. They also know the competitivness of that U.S. market, and know that if they let up here, they will loose ground. While they far outdistance their nearest competitors, they also know that in this market, if you let the competition gain on you, you have to work twice as hard to gain that little bit back! America is a bit unique, from the other countries, in that most other countries have f-1, and that's about it. There is no competition, and that's the way F-1 wants it. One of the reasons that they can't crack the market in the U.S. is because they can't dictate whatever they want, as they do practically everywhere else in the world. Unlike most other places in the world, where Bernie is treated like royality, here he's just another Joe, (sorry Joe Fan, not intended as reference to you ) very few bow to him here! The reason is because here he has to compete. He can threaten to take his series elsewhere in most countries and it sends shockwaves throughout the country, in the U.S., it's barely noticed! Too competitive here, and NASCAR knows this, so the domestic market is too important, and too time consuming for NASCAR to worry about much outside the U.S. borders.

Last edited by Lee; 6 Dec 2001 at 13:46.
Old 6 Dec 2001, 13:58 (Ref:182922)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ok I will throw an Aussie spin on this.

Yes we have Nascar here in Australia.

it made its debut in 1988 won by the late neil Bonnett I believe.

basically we only have one oval here ..the Calder park thunderdome..there is one in Adelaide as well but it is very small and just plain hopeless.

we had a brief flirtation with it throughout the years but there wasnt alot of interest from the public or TV.

it is also only a summer series over here (christmas time here) which really should have helped it with the general motorsport fan being starved for action in the off months.

I dont really know why it didnt take off but now we dont run on the oval at all because of the track owner (Bob Jane) really having problems with our motorsport controlling body..I dont know the details because frankly they bore me to tears.

but we have this huge oval now that doesnt get used and right next to it is their road racing circuit which seems to be heading in the same direction.
Nascar is dead over here which is a huge shame as it is pretty exciting and we have some decent drivers in those cars here.

it lasted for about ten years and then died...no money , no cars and no TV didnt help.

BUT .......
this year they have been revived and called V8 stockcars and they only race on road circuits.
now i have said this before that i dont care for Nascar on road courses much because they just look out of place ..but I attended a meeting a month or so ago and they were running there ..and I gotta say i was impressed...very small field of only about 12 cars but the action was good and they exceeded my expectations by a mile and next year they claim that they will have up to 30 cars running the series ..so things could be looking up ..but i doubt they will ever return to the Calder oval..but as V8 stockcars they may just have future here.

all of this I might add is NOT sanctioned by Nascar and probably never will be but it is a piece of American muscle running elsewhere in the world ..and im sure some travelling Americans feel a little homesick if they see them at a race meet here.

anyway that doesnt really give an answer to the question as to why nascar arent sanctioning races elsewhere ..I guess its just a brief history of the sport down under.

anyway here is a pic i took at the meeting only a month ago of a bit of action from the V8 stockcars.
I dont know anything about the cars at all ..so maybe someone else could tell us what the heck it is
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Old 6 Dec 2001, 14:02 (Ref:182924)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ohhh why not..here is another one

the driver is Barry Blake ..who is a Race car driver , Author and soon to be movie star ...and hes a damm fine peddler as well
Attached Thumbnails
23.jpg  
Old 6 Dec 2001, 19:06 (Ref:183020)   #12
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Lee that's exactly right about Bernie E. He maintiains that F1 needs to succeed in the US, I don't think that F1 needs the US, I don't think the US market keeps teams in business, also they'd need to have another 2 races in the US equally spaced in distance and time to keep the general interest alive. Also I don't think Mike Helton would get the red carpet treatment from foreign governments if he went abroad.

Marcus, on some aussie tv program, 'Neighbours' ( Why do I feel embarassed to mention it ? ) They used to to show the people getting a drive around Calder Park.
Old 6 Dec 2001, 23:18 (Ref:183125)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I can honestly say ..I have never seen an episode of Neighbours ..so I cant help you there.

But I can tell you that Calder park is still used as a driver traing ground ..or "Hot Laps" thingy..where you can pay to be driven around by a driving professional..thats about all I know..but it is rather expensive ..but it would be good fun.
Old 6 Dec 2001, 23:31 (Ref:183136)   #14
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Just as well you never saw Neighbours, made for UK telly
constant sunshine......