Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 May 2003, 12:35 (Ref:606779)   #1
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max doesn't like track marshals?

Just spotted this item on Autosport.com, http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=23077&s=5

The last paragraph which I repeat here implies (to me) that Max doesn't think much of the incident and fire handling abilities of the track marshals.

Quote:
The FIA is in the process of conducting a detailed analysis of the incident with Ferrari and the fuel rig manufacturer," Mosley told AUTOSPORT. "After the Verstappen fire, the fuel delivery hose was modified to incorporate a failsafe cut-out system, which did work on this occasion and prevented any serious blaze. If there is to be a fire, then better in the pit lane where it can be dealt with efficiently and expertly, than somewhere out on the circuit.
What do others think?
Old 22 May 2003, 12:41 (Ref:606785)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's wrong with that paragraph? If that happens - better not - but is preferrable to be it in the pitlane. In less than 1 second, 4 (four) specially trained firemen were able to put the fire out; Ferrari do periodical training sessions and they train their pitcrew to deal with a pit-lane fire. I really doubt that a track marshall could do a better job, and that has nothing to do with me liking them or not. :confused: Max is right.
Old 22 May 2003, 12:42 (Ref:606787)   #3
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't think that he doesnt like track marshals, its just that, on the track, say somehow, the car catches fire, if this were to happen, it would take a while for the car to come to a stop, and depending on where, it would take a while for any marshal to reach that car.
Old 22 May 2003, 13:01 (Ref:606820)   #4
the18racer
Rookie

the18racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't read that as a dig at marshals. Remember Nicky Foulston? Now that was a stupid thing to say.
Old 22 May 2003, 13:10 (Ref:606834)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much as I despise Max, I don't think it was a dig at the marshalls. It would typically take some time for the marshalls to get over to the car, while in the pitlane, there are crews, marshalls, and officials in immediate proximity.
Old 22 May 2003, 13:47 (Ref:606872)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One could put in as another argument that having fires in an area where there are dozens of people crammed in to a small area and cars zooming in and out is less than desirable.

Much better that they have any fires they are going to out on the circuit where they can be dealt with in safety (for other people). That way only the driver is at risk.

Also it is the pressurised fuel rig and the other rigs each side which really concern me. In any system the connectors are going to be a primary source of failure. No connectors – no failure.

Not that I want to steal the pit marshal's fun.

Regards

Jim
Old 22 May 2003, 13:56 (Ref:606878)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by JimW
where they can be dealt with in safety (for other people). That way only the driver is at risk.
"Only" the driver? Come on, if something happens, something like Lauda's accident, then the driver is in deep trouble and noone can help him. I agree that so many fuel pumps are in so little space, but in that little space there are lots of people specially trained, plus they have the equipment that a normal marshal on track doesn't have. I agree, if a fire gets out of control in the pitlane, the situation can get pretty messy. However nothing more than a match lighting a cigarette cannot exists in the pitlane for more than 2 seconds.

Last edited by Red; 22 May 2003 at 13:59.
Old 22 May 2003, 14:05 (Ref:606885)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry Red but you obviously have not been involved in the planning of public safety at events like this. The priorities are:

The public
The teams
The officials
The drivers

in that order.

No offense/disrespect to drivers, it is them I go to motorsport to see and assist. But if we want to keep the sport free of interfering busybodies we have to avoid accidents involving the people other than drivers.

Also perhaps I should have added a "" to that bit of the post? Trying to summarise complex articles in three paragraphs does run a risk.

Regards

Jim
Old 22 May 2003, 14:13 (Ref:606895)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
I do agree with your priorities, they do look fair to me too.... However, that's not my point (neither Max').
- It is better to not have a fire in the first place,
- or if this happens it is better to have it in pitlane (where it can quickly put off)
- then in an empty area (where limiting the damage is more important, but only if you can't reduce them 100%)

in that order

Cheers,
Red

Last edited by Red; 22 May 2003 at 14:16.
Old 22 May 2003, 20:20 (Ref:607186)   #10
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The statement reads fine to me,the fuel rig worked,it shut off,if you look at it again the fire is only burning on the residue fuel around the nozzle,the rig didn't continue pumping out fuel,if it had done that then there would have been a real big fire again.The pit crew are also standing there pointing fire hoses/extinguihers at the car while its refuelling so the fire was being put out in seconds.
The worrying point I saw with Marshalls, is they are still being exposed danger at accidents,if you look when Alonso ended up in the gravel, Marshalls went running across towards him,with cars still coming around the corner at speed,with oil on the track,if a car had gone of it would have gone straight into the Alonso car and the Marshalls.The other bad one was Brasil,when MS skated off,Marshalls were all standing around the other cars that had gone off,had MS gone off a bit further along he would have ended up amongst the hapless Marshalls.No one needs to get hurt just trying to remove a car from the circuit.

Last edited by Armco Bender; 22 May 2003 at 20:21.