Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 3 Aug 2004, 20:28 (Ref:1055524)   #1
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daihatsu Copen

Why?!

Not only why does this pointless little dinky toy with an engine exist, but why would people buy it?

I should imagine even most hairdressers would be too embarassed to be seen with the top down on this limp-wrist-with-wheels...it makes the BMW 6-series look like the connoisseur's choice.

On the practical side, it's grossly underpowered and I hear it doesn't even handle all too well.

And wait - it gets worse - it's a Daihatsu!

Anyone got one?

Old 3 Aug 2004, 20:29 (Ref:1055525)   #2
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Oh...and just to quantify the thread, I posted because I saw one of these today (driver was going round with his hand covering his face...must've been a hack) and was wondering what people thought of it.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 05:49 (Ref:1055781)   #3
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe anything smaller than a Corolla or Focus isn't really a car and should not be bought or sold. The Copen is an example of why.

It is not beatiful, powerful, fast, practical or especially safe. It doesn't even represent good value for money in the long run. Quite simply, it has nothing in it's favour, so why does it deserve a place in the market?
Old 4 Aug 2004, 08:28 (Ref:1055869)   #4
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because however quirky, gutless and impractical they may be, someone will always buy it because it is different.
Toyota Will, nissan s-cargo and others, suzuki cappacino, all have a market with those who want to stand out.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 09:46 (Ref:1055926)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looks a bit like a cheap modernised version of a Porsche Speedster...
Old 4 Aug 2004, 11:46 (Ref:1056044)   #6
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i wouldn;t buy one . but it's not that bad ..

Ciao Marco
Old 4 Aug 2004, 11:57 (Ref:1056052)   #7
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueBlood
suzuki cappacino,
The Suzuki was meant to be a decent car in its day. The Copen has a place in the market as a cheap droptop, it has the folding hardtop IIRC, it would make a nice shopping car on a sunny day for someone's GLW (Good Lay Wife).

Here's another question, what's the cheapest (from new) soft-top that wouldn't be considered "a woman's car"? I'm thinking Lotus Elise (definitely) or BMW Z3 (borderline).
Old 4 Aug 2004, 13:07 (Ref:1056121)   #8
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Z3's definitely a woman's car.

Toyota MR2? Used to have a decent reputation, not so sure now. Honda S2000 is a bloke's car. New Merc SLK is a bit more macho than the outgoing model too...
Old 4 Aug 2004, 14:03 (Ref:1056175)   #9
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll have one for nothing, but it does resemble an oversized washine machine! I think they like making ugly cars to eep them in our minds.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1056451)   #10
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a Japanese kei-car which have strict regulations - like the engine can't be bigger than 660 cc, also the size is regulated. Car can't be wider than 1475mm and longer than 3400mm, height, in the other hand, is not restircted. Also, if the engine does not produce more than 64 hp, the tax is lower. Great cars on traffic jams or searchin for parking spot.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 4 Aug 2004, 23:49 (Ref:1056612)   #11
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
An old MG is the cheapest, manliest car you can buy!

And there's nothing wrong with a Mazda MX5 - there's a small car with hair on it's chest!
Old 5 Aug 2004, 02:20 (Ref:1056653)   #12
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely the Copen was invented so those Noddys who bought those even more stupid Suzuki X90s had something to trade into.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 02:22 (Ref:1056654)   #13
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
An old MG is the cheapest, manliest car you can buy!
SNIP
You must surely be talking pre-MGA, as the MGA was the originator of the term "hairdresser's car"
Old 5 Aug 2004, 08:31 (Ref:1056785)   #14
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
GLW (Good Lay Wife).
I did of course mean 'Good Lady Wife.

A fellow could get a reputation at this rate.

I think it's a little harsh to compare the Copen to a X90, a vehicle which had no redeeming features what-so-ever.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 18:08 (Ref:1057281)   #15
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
It would be a nice idea, if you will convince, it's hip to drive with kei-car, rather than behemoth-like FUVs, sorry, I mean, SUVs.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 5 Aug 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1057548)   #16
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage

Here's another question, what's the cheapest (from new) soft-top that wouldn't be considered "a woman's car"? I'm thinking Lotus Elise (definitely) or BMW Z3 (borderline).
I don't have any prices to hand but I would think a turnkey (ready built) Caterham 7 would be a strong contender.

As for the Daihatsu, well I've often thought it a shame that soft top versions of cloneboxes are only offered as high spec top of the range cars so we're being asked to spend too much money to get our hair ruffled! The styling of that car does bring to mind some of the cars from the arse end of the kit-car world of a few years ago!!
I wouldn't buy one, but then I already have tthree small convertibles and one big (for the UK ) saloon.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 06:51 (Ref:1057839)   #17
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is a copen racing here in australia in the production class would go ok if it had some power
i work at a Diahatsu dealer in tasmania and we have sold 2 in about 12months
i think Audi (another Product we sell) would be ashamed because it is like a mini TT roadster
Old 8 Aug 2004, 10:32 (Ref:1059976)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here is the Copen in action ....

It looks like a 7/8th version of a real car, altho not being able to tell which is the front and which is the back is also fun...

Lucky Rick Bates (driver & preparer) has a sense of humour
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 8 Aug 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1060100)   #19
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bartman71

i think Audi (another Product we sell) would be ashamed because it is like a mini TT roadster
The only visual similarity between the Copen ,TT, the Street Ka and the Boxter as well is that they are blessed with uninspired blob 'styling' Ugh!!

Last edited by Bluebottle; 8 Aug 2004 at 13:17.
Old 8 Aug 2004, 13:21 (Ref:1060105)   #20
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
The Copen is also very similar to this

http://banmoco.co.uk/x21/

which was accused of being a TT replica!!!
Old 8 Aug 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1060312)   #21
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
That X21 front end looks like it's been made by KIA designers.

-Jamie Hyneman