Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give the Grand Prix?
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 1 1.03%
7 2 2.06%
6 11 11.34%
5 14 14.43%
4 12 12.37%
3 18 18.56%
2 21 21.65%
1 18 18.56%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Mar 2015, 12:42 (Ref:3515444)   #26
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Bob View Post
Garcon, enjoy Spa, despite F1 it should be a good weekend.

I don't think anybody is blaming a driver or two, its the F1 system that's broke, not the drivers. We all realize that.
Thanks, I will. One of the few tracks I'd consider going to twice for the F1. It's a superb spectators' circuit.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 13:20 (Ref:3515449)   #27
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A 3 - and that is being generous. Alright, I was expecting the two Mercedes to be 1 and 2 - but, I was also expecting that there was to be some action further down the field. It looks like this year, the cars have more downforce and are more difficult to follow in the corners - witness Vettel stuck behind Massa for so long, until he pitted. The drivers also were a bit clumsy today - Kimi and Vettel on the first lap - and also Perez and Button. Reliability seemed poor as well.

It looks like the Ferraris are probably the second fastest - good for them. I don't know if the Williams will get a few wins this season(which I was hoping for).

At least at Sepang - we'll have a more interesting track. I can only hope that we'll have a better race.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 13:37 (Ref:3515450)   #28
V8gina
Rookie

V8gina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a 1 for me.... boring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

V8 Supercars was boring too, but certainly would upstage F1 if given the right track time and it was a Championship round.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 13:37 (Ref:3515451)   #29
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Well, like a lot of us hard core fans I got up at some ungodly hour to watch.

I think casual viewers will turn off in droves if Bernie doesn't fix the income more equally, and soon. If you are not a passionate fan it was a borefest, even if you are it was the worst race I've seen for many a year.
Totally. It was a strech but I found some things to enjoy, Sauber really, but still ultimately happy I was up for it.

Lesson I think is more testing before the season starts but can these teams even afford to test more is as always the larger issue.

Gave it a 6 because I like f1.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 13:38 (Ref:3515452)   #30
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I rate it a 2/10.

Shows how many problems that F1 have got these days. Even though the cars look better than last season's Xenomorph nosed cars, (and sounded a bit better) 11 cars only finished due to non-starting or mechanical issues that could be easily fixed if they could have more equipment in the driveline department, a total Mercedes dominance throughout the weekend, so on and so forth. (I think every other poster has said what I've been wanting to say)

Formula One is a total embarrassment these days. It's no longer the pinnacle of single car or worldwide racing.

The only two things I liked it was that the fact The Terminator was the guest interviewer (although one could clearly tell Arnie was WAY above his head, looks like he was lost in the interview. Props to Vettel who now knows how to speak Italian though) and the fact that Williams looked as classy as ever with the Martini paintscheme.

FORMULA ONE, GET YOUR DAMN ACT TOGETHER!!!!
Old 15 Mar 2015, 14:13 (Ref:3515467)   #31
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It didn't gel - this race. And I misfired on the voting. I aimed for 5 not 6.

But this is F1 often as it has been throughout its history. High attrition rate, two cars getting the job done. And don't tell me that several 'action orientated' drivers not starting due to peculiar circumstances didn't hurt this race. Course it did. And Renault's problems are peculiar as well. So this has been an unlucky weekend for F1. None of these factors are related to the governance of the sport, just bad luck and Renault being asleep at the wheel.

Points made about the teams being in poor financial state. Yeah, that indicates a deep sclerosis in the sport alright. Didn't effect Sauber in the race today.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 14:34 (Ref:3515469)   #32
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well the lead up to the race with manor and sauber was exciting but the race not really matching up, gave it a 2
Old 15 Mar 2015, 14:40 (Ref:3515473)   #33
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed it. Am I the only F1 fan who enjoys the sport for what it is, rather than look for something to complain about? Because often I feel that way...
Old 15 Mar 2015, 14:53 (Ref:3515477)   #34
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I enjoyed it. Am I the only F1 fan who enjoys the sport for what it is, rather than look for something to complain about? Because often I feel that way...
Fair play.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 15:05 (Ref:3515483)   #35
petecossie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Teesside
petecossie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 5 for me, a small field, which lead to an uneventful race. Must get better during the season.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 15:11 (Ref:3515485)   #36
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
No, you're just incredibly easily pleased.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 15:24 (Ref:3515492)   #37
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
5 for me.

The cars sounds slightly better than last year and the looks have improved vastly.

The attrition was obviously an anomaly. You'd get races like that in previous decades - especially the "golden" ones we bang on about. So I'm not going to let it cloud my view of the season. Fans will over-react because expectations are always higher for the first race.

The big concern for me is that Hamilton will beat Rosberg comfortably this season, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Hamilton's drawn first blood, but it's a long season.

I'm not complaining about Mercedes' dominance; it's one of the few things left that's organic about the sport. If you've built a better car than everyone else, you deserve to win, and if you're going to let your drivers race each other freely, you deserve to dominate.

It didn't do Formula One any harm when Prost and Senna were effectively racing in a class of two.

It was a boring race, no getting away from that. I'll be surprised if there's a worse one all season, though.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 15:53 (Ref:3515500)   #38
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even with some half decent battles, I just never felt excited during the race. I sat through the whole thing staring at the screen then once it was over straight to bed without a second thought of what had happened during the race. It's frustrating because Melbourne is actually one of my favourite GP's and this was by far the worst for a long time.

Here's hoping Malaysia's better.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 16:05 (Ref:3515507)   #39
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6, by no means a classic, but it's always nice to have F1 back after the winter break. I don't see how 11 finishers are farcial at all, it used to be normal not that long ago. Having just 15 cars start the race was a bit disappointing though.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 16:06 (Ref:3515508)   #40
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
No, you're just incredibly easily pleased.
Maybe. But I feel that the racing wasn't that bad and potential is there for another good season. And if there weren't so few cars (the only farce of the weekend following Van Der Garde De Gate being sorted) then people would be happier with things...
Old 15 Mar 2015, 16:10 (Ref:3515511)   #41
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
First race of the season should be a positive thing. I'm away so didn't see it, so I didn't have that anticipation.

You don't think the situations at Red Bull and McLaren are farcical, then?

No matter, it's not a criticism. In a way I envy you.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 16:29 (Ref:3515517)   #42
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
A desperately dire race. Dull races can and do happen, and they always have, lets hope this was a one off.

It gets a 3 from me, only because the track is considered now something of a challenge in our world of Tilkedromes with their 3 acres of run off.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 16:36 (Ref:3515519)   #43
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Maybe. But I feel that the racing wasn't that bad and potential is there for another good season. And if there weren't so few cars (the only farce of the weekend following Van Der Garde De Gate being sorted) then people would be happier with things...
All the sleepyheads hauled themselves out of bed in the middle of the night - or stayed up - and watched an adequate race.

And now we get to hear all the cranky little sleepyheads grumpin' and groanin' the next morning.

We could've had a race with no retirements and ZERO passing maneuvers like back in the day when Michael was in top form. It wasn't like that. It wasn't a race that "caught fire", sure, but it was solid enough stuff and could've been better if there was better luck.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 18:48 (Ref:3515552)   #44
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Yes it was bad. Plenty of knee jerk reactions on here though. Last year took a while to warm up too, and in the end we had some great races.

I enjoyed seeing the rookies getting stuck in and beating some of the older drivers.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 19:18 (Ref:3515557)   #45
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I gave it a very generous 4. And that was just the highlights....... Actually glad I didn't have to watch the whole thing.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 20:38 (Ref:3515568)   #46
Dave_G
Racer

United States
Vermont, USA
Dave_G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3, which is the lowest score I've ever given a race. The best that can be said about this soporific excuse for a race is that it can only can better from here.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 20:52 (Ref:3515572)   #47
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The two previous points sum up my position perfectly.Unless something changes the viewing figures may go into freefall this year.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 20:53 (Ref:3515573)   #48
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of the low scores come from people who switched on at the end or only watched the highlights.

I voted the race (weekend as a whole) a 7 and here are the reasons why.

First weekend back. I missed F1 and it was nice to see the cars back out there on a wonderful Albert Park circuit. It looked fantastic, and having attended a GP there I can remember the magic of being part of it.

The cars look great! I like the wide, low noses and the more squat appearance of the cars because of it.

The sound is much improved, especially the Mercedes engines. I think if they had have sounded like this from the start there wouldn't have been so big an issue.

The drama leading up to the event. Not knowing what was happening with Sauber was interesting. They sat out FP1, and participated in FP2 against court order. Manor were busting their a***** to get their cars on track, but it was not to be. Massive issues with Renault power plants, and big effort to resolve these.

A race of attrition. I like F1 being like the old days, with engines blowing up and teams really pushing the limits. Granted there are ancillary reasons as to why this is the case, but for me it doesn't take away from the excitement of seeing cars falling off the track, even if it is pre-start.

But most of all, this race was a line in the sand for me. If Bernie and friends don't sit up and take notice at what is happening now, then I don't know what it will take. For several teams to be in severe financial crisis and Renault to be floundering trying to get on top of the engines, surely the powers that be will be looking at this and trying to figure out what they can do to build the field.

This was a memorable weekend, for better or worse, and one that many of us won't forget.

It must have been very quiet on track with only 11 cars circulating. I only hope people give F1 a chance and don't turn away too quickly.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 21:01 (Ref:3515575)   #49
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was just glad to see F1 back on track. There were enough story lines
and pit drama to keep me interested . Really happy for Sauber and Ferrari
for their result with what they had. Red Bull and Maclaren still scratching
their heads. It appears we may be in for a ditto 2014. Hope not but that's why I cant wait for the next race. 5.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 21:56 (Ref:3515591)   #50
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely dreadful.

I sincerely hope those who participate, and those who manage F1, realise just how awful their product has become.