Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jul 2002, 21:01 (Ref:336883)   #1
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull Team USA

OK, we've all heard the rumor for a few times in the past year, now it comes up again: Dieter Mateschitz buys Arrows and renames it Red Bull Team USA...

What do y'all think of this plot? If the team was US based, it would be interesting... but its not. Maybe if the team had an American Driver... don't hold your breath. I would LOVE to see the US more involved in F1, but I don't see how an English team owned by an Austrian(?) is going to help this... (and yes, I have seen the Red Bull Driver Search stuff in the US, and am sure that is not going to pan out anytime soon, or is that an entirely different thread??
Old 19 Jul 2002, 02:29 (Ref:337016)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would have to be based in England as Shadow and Penske were in the '70's (I think that the Parnelli F1 Team was US based) and Eagle was in the '60's.

Its unlikely though that it would embraced as an "American" team, and I doubt it would ever get the kind of public noteriety that they might wish for.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 02:33 (Ref:337018)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think Lance Reventlow's SCARAB team was also based in America

Valve
Old 19 Jul 2002, 02:37 (Ref:337022)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
reaching way back , Bouncey???
Old 19 Jul 2002, 02:40 (Ref:337023)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Yep!! and wasn't it a beautiful car, and impecably presented. Too bad they put the engine in the wrong place.

Valve
Old 19 Jul 2002, 04:03 (Ref:337055)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it says some truly awful things about the way business is done it America that we have to rely on an Astrian company to get our talent onto the world stage! Just look at a CART field if you want to know how much attention American corporations give to our up-and-coming drivers.

A team based in England, owned in Austria, with German and Italian drivers. Yeah that's _really_ American.

At least it's more American than the Toyota team is Japanese.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 09:00 (Ref:337168)   #7
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta

A team based in England, owned in Austria, with German and Italian drivers. Yeah that's _really_ American.

isnt Bernoldi brazilian? Thats south AMERICA!!! and apparently Frentzens mum is mexican which is near America. So there you go!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 09:44 (Ref:337187)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Frentzen's mum Spanish in fact, but don't quote me. There does seem to be a lack of support for American drivers in open wheel racing, most having to compete in the domestic backwaters of the IRL. Only 3 Americans are currently in CART, and 2 of those are former champions.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 12:03 (Ref:337284)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yea, Frentzens mum is spanish
Old 19 Jul 2002, 13:21 (Ref:337374)   #10
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard she was spanish then read in an article on his dad that she was mexican. Who knows...
Old 19 Jul 2002, 13:38 (Ref:337397)   #11
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Toyota is a japanese team based in Germany with a Finish and a Scottish driver, so anything's possible(although Mika married a japanese woman)
Old 19 Jul 2002, 14:13 (Ref:337438)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe I should remind you of what happened the last time someone treid to initiate a 'National' F1 team.......Prost!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 17:02 (Ref:337579)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins

isnt Bernoldi brazilian? Thats south AMERICA!!! and apparently Frentzens mum is mexican which is near America. So there you go!
David, not to get all pedantic on you but the term "American" has been used since before the American Revolution to describe inhabitants of the former British Colonies on the eastern seaboard of North America, and later inhabitants of the United States of America(official Name).

Inhabitants of the former Spanish, Portuguese and Dutch Colonies were identified by the name of the territory from which they came. Thus, a Brazilian, or a Columbian is "american", but not "American".

For the record, HHF's mother is Spanish, not Mexican.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 17:13 (Ref:337589)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HHF's mother is from near Valencia. So Cheste is his home track
Old 19 Jul 2002, 18:20 (Ref:337632)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't see anything wrong building an american team this way. The effort to bring more americans into F1 is that counts.
Altough I think, having a huge and strong national motorsport will make things harder for them to get americans involved in this project.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 19:33 (Ref:337660)   #16
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
I think it says some truly awful things about the way business is done it America that we have to rely on an Astrian company to get our talent onto the world stage! Just look at a CART field if you want to know how much attention American corporations give to our up-and-coming drivers.
Doesn't bother me at all that an Austrian company puts together the American team. I'm with Valve. And it doesn't say anything about "the way business is done in America." Advertising and marketing are all about reaching your target audience, and in America, it's NASCAR that pulls in the numbers -- which says something about American tastes when it comes to motorsports, but let's not go there.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 21:21 (Ref:337729)   #17
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would LOVE to see US involvement in F1. Drivers, engine, management, engineering... any of it. But will driving for a team like Arrows, that is not going to fight for the championship (a few points now and again, but I blame <attribute?> that to HHF...), help or hinder US interest in F1? To really get it going, a competitive team or driver is in order...
Old 20 Jul 2002, 05:48 (Ref:337899)   #18
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
it's not only HHF that has scored points for Arrows, Jos Verstappen and Pedro de la Rosa also scored points for Arrows in recent years, in fact: both scored more points than HHF did, while the engine was'nt that good. The Cosworth is a very good engine and the A23 is a good design(that's why Ron Dennis is trying to hire Mike Coughlan)
Old 20 Jul 2002, 06:44 (Ref:337904)   #19
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
Well, Toyota is a japanese team based in Germany )
I thought the Toyota team was based at Paul Ricard :confused:

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 20 Jul 2002, 07:02 (Ref:337906)   #20
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
No, the factory is in Germany (Köln) where the rally team used to be.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 09:49 (Ref:337968)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
it's not only HHF that has scored points for Arrows, Jos Verstappen and Pedro de la Rosa also scored points for Arrows in recent years, in fact: both scored more points than HHF did, while the engine was'nt that good.
Steve, this is getting very repetitive man.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 10:14 (Ref:337984)   #22
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Steve, this is getting very repetitive man.
Are you sure?
I don't remember him praising De La Rosa much.

Steve is saying that in recent years Arrows have been able to score points (as opposed to what shiny side up! is saying in the post directly above his).

You can't have it both ways:
- either Arrows are good enough to score points, with only drivers like Bernoldi failing to bring them home,
- or Arrows are not good enough to score points, with only drivers like Frentzen, Verstappen, De La Rosa, ... capable of scoring points.