Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Nov 2010, 12:38 (Ref:2793085)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
HSCC Croft Nostalgia Weekend

All HSCC Classes.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2930775)   #2
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time to start this thread off I think now that it is only a couple of weeks away - hope to see a few 10-Tenths members there! Sadly I won't be able to contribute with any photographs this year as I'll be working at the event.

The provisional timetable is on the HSCC website - http://www.hscc.org.uk/resources/Cro...20day%20V2.pdf

There will be double header races for Historic Road Sports, 70s Road Sports, Historic Touring Cars, Historic Formula Ford, Classic Racing Cars, Derek Bell Trophy, Historic Formula Junior, and Historic Formula Ford 2000. Plus a single race for the 500cc F3 cars on Sunday. I understand that there is testing available on the Friday.

In addition to the racing there is scheduled to be a display of military vehicles, classic cars and aircraft with visitors being encouraged to dress in period costume. The HSCC site mentions a fly past on Saturday evening by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and on Sunday a fly past by a Jet Provost. There will be live 'period' music on the Saturday evening in the marquee.

As last year, the 'locals' are really looking forward to this one and we hope that it builds upon the success of last year's event.

Gary
Old 25 Jul 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2930783)   #3
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This will be going out to the H Formula Ford bunch soon but equally applies to all entrants. Hope for good weather and a nice time.
........Croft a former WW2 RAF bomber airfield is coming up and their 'Nostalgia Weekend' activities will be even more of a show than last year.

There will be a live band and Forties Dance and Pie & Peas Supper in the Dance Marquee on the Saturday evening for all who book a place. It will be £5 a head for food and entry (pay on the night),. Please let me know if you would like to join the HFF bunch getting in the mood for a little bit of war-time silliness as soon as you can on jane.dikko@virgin.net or 01920 871153.

The organiser tells me there along with the huge Military display there will be living history displays and re-enactor groups, trade stalls will be selling a variety of period items, barnstorming period aircraft flying displays are in place and will be even more spectacular than last year and the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight will make an appearance.

400 classic cars will be attending as well as a fleet of Classic buses (when you want one 29 will come along!) some of which will be circulating the circuit on Sunday morning for charity rides. A special and probably rather noisy 'Battle of Tanks' will be another highlight amongst the many on the ground. Along with the odd appearance of George Formby leaning on a lampost somewhere, maybe a military band there will be Marilyn Monroes' in abundance! Before the dancing on Saturday evening sees a 1940's fashion show and period dress is encouraged by all attending.

Flat Caps and frocks at the ready please. (It's a very personal choice which you choose..!!)

If you want to find out more visit the Croft event website at http://www.croftmilitary.co.uk/ and if any of you wish to use our HFF BBQ equipment anytime over the weekend (you may have to clean it afterwards!) let me know and I'll bring it along.

Provisional Timetable (the Classic race follows our HFF race, the office say this may be rescheduled for those that may want to do both. Please see any updates on the HSCC website)
Old 25 Jul 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2930786)   #4
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yep we are all looking foward to this event Gazza. I am going to have a drive myself. This we will be circuit number 47 for me.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2930805)   #5
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very much looking forward to this event. The A105 will be a bit outclassed in the Touring Cars races on Sunday but hopefully keeping up with the back of the field - provided we finish intact at Thruxton this Saturday.

BBMF website says the flypast is at 14h00 on Saturday.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 07:09 (Ref:2931187)   #6
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Croft was one of the highlights of the season last year. It sounds as though the organisers are stepping up their efforts to provide an attactive event for the public. Let's hope they put some effort into the paddock facilities as well - the shower and toilet facilities were a bit lacking for those of us staying at the circuit.

Still looking forward to it, though.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2931236)   #7
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
.... the shower and toilet facilities were a bit lacking for those of us staying at the circuit.

Still looking forward to it, though.
Isn't that all part of the nostalgia theme though?

Nothing that a shovel, some standpipes and a supply of old tin baths can't fix ....

Old 26 Jul 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2931457)   #8
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Yes - you're quite right. Mustn't forget to pack my Wrights Coal Tar soap and Izal Medicated in case the facilities haven't improved.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2931463)   #9
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yes - you're quite right. Mustn't forget to pack my Wrights Coal Tar soap and Izal Medicated in case the facilities haven't improved.
What on earth would you need the soap for? Heck man you'll only be there a few days plenty of time for the weekly wash when you get home.

As for the Izal - what on earth is wrong with leaf litter? Tha'll be a marked man if thee makes use of fancy paper tha' noes. Anyway, there's no food north of Watford 'cos the country is covered with aerodromes so tha'll not be needing t'facilities much ...
Old 28 Jul 2011, 14:07 (Ref:2932102)   #10
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry List

The entry list is now on the HSCC website - looks quite good considering the journey north may put some regulars off. At first glance it certainly looks on a par with last year:

http://www.hscc.org.uk/resources/Pro...oft%202011.pdf

Ref washing facilities - as I don't live far from the circuit I'll bring a hosepipe and a couple of old metal baths (I'll need to empty the flowers out first!). Alternatively the River Tees isn't far if you want an early morning dip.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 14:36 (Ref:2932116)   #11
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Bet you all wish you were racing Historic FF2000. We are having a very special dinner Saturday! sorry do you say supper up north.Any way there is talk of Lanchashire hot pot mushy pees and more. Cant wait.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2932119)   #12
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
mushy pees and more
...pretty much what I said in post #6
Old 28 Jul 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2932126)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
...pretty much what I said in post #6
Old 28 Jul 2011, 15:50 (Ref:2932150)   #14
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Bet you all wish you were racing Historic FF2000. We are having a very special dinner Saturday! sorry do you say supper up north.Any way there is talk of Lanchashire hot pot mushy pees and more. Cant wait.
Lancashire hot pot - in Yorkshire! Please no, the shame of it all....
Old 28 Jul 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2932160)   #15
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
The entry list is now on the HSCC website - looks quite good considering the journey north may put some regulars off. At first glance it certainly looks on a par with last year:

http://www.hscc.org.uk/resources/Pro...oft%202011.pdf

Ref washing facilities - as I don't live far from the circuit I'll bring a hosepipe and a couple of old metal baths (I'll need to empty the flowers out first!). Alternatively the River Tees isn't far if you want an early morning dip.
I think it looks stronger than last year. The Road Sports looks much better supported. Trying to negotiate a pass out with Mrs S for the Saturday, but not nailed on yet!
Old 28 Jul 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2932190)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Bet you all wish you were racing Historic FF2000.
Yup- do you know where there's one for sale?

Have a good w/end, everyone- and Gary, hope you have someone to take your place as snapper. You did us proud last year
Old 28 Jul 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2932291)   #17
jhh911
Rookie

United Kingdom
cawood uk
jhh911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you read the final instructions on the HSCC website you will see that all competitors without up to date FIA labels on their period dress will have to start from the back of the grid!
Old 29 Jul 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2932490)   #18
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Any chance of getting an invitation to this? For a Frenchman the thought of "Lanchashire hot pot mushy pees and more" is more than can be resisted. By the way where is Lanchashire?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2932508)   #19
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Any chance of getting an invitation to this? For a Frenchman the thought of "Lanchashire hot pot mushy pees and more" is more than can be resisted. By the way where is Lanchashire?
I think it was where Lanchesters came from.

I do wonder whether the Nostalgia element of the meeting should be concerned with WW2 era or 60s and 70s to fit with most of the cars. For me it will 70s, the last time I was there. Fortunately all my flare trousers and tie-dye T-shirts have long since been re-cycled. It would have been embarassing trying to get into them.

One might be slightly concerned, nostalgia element considered, about the ingredients for a Lanchashire Hot Pot but I'm sure it will be lovely. Perhaps geographically balanced by Yorkshire Puddin'?

And Gary, your earlier offer of temporary loan of ablution facilities, with or without embedded flowers would, from what I remember of my previous visit, still be 70s period correct and probably rather welcome.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:54 (Ref:2932557)   #20
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
Monsieur Le Comte - I had already included you in the numbers for our soirée. I am well aware of your predilection for British cuisine - the result, no doubt, of your English public school education.

Till Samedi!..
Old 29 Jul 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2932694)   #21
GrahamH
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
GrahamH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going, in the 70s Roadsports race. I first went to Croft a couple of years back, and thought it was a great venue.

I was especially impressed by the marshall who was wearing an Afro wig in tribute to us 70s racers!

BTW why is it that nostalgia in this country always ends up being about WWII? How many 1940s cars will be competing this weekend, I wonder? Or is rationing still in place and those of us further south haven't been told? (I can say that, I am from Yorkshire originally).
Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2932822)   #22
Chris Sharples
Rookie

Chris Sharples should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am loving the banter.Dicko is block booking helpings of peas and mash for fordsters and it will make a change parking next to a tank rather than Dick's 61!

I missed it last year but everyone who went said it was a great event. Good news spreads and my count of the entry is just short of 250 which is 30% up on last year. Croft say it is their biggest entry of the year.

Fingers crossed for sunshine.

Chris

PS; Was told Hayes Harlow's 2010 outfit was outrageous
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2932857)   #23
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
.... and Gary, hope you have someone to take your place as snapper. You did us proud last year
Many thanks Mike. Disappointed that I won't be able to take any race photos but hopefully I'll get time to take some paddock shots before and after qualy & races - and meet a few 10-Tenthers hopefully.

My family hoping to go to watch on the Sunday so I'll ask my son to get some race shots etc.

Gary
Old 30 Jul 2011, 06:55 (Ref:2933168)   #24
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Lancashire is a place one passes through on the way to Cumberland. (Where the sausages come from)
Old 30 Jul 2011, 06:58 (Ref:2933169)   #25
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sharples View Post
I am loving the banter.Dicko is block booking helpings of peas and mash for fordsters and it will make a change parking next to a tank rather than Dick's 61!

I missed it last year but everyone who went said it was a great event. Good news spreads and my count of the entry is just short of 250 which is 30% up on last year. Croft say it is their biggest entry of the year.

Fingers crossed for sunshine.

Chris

PS; Was told Hayes Harlow's 2010 outfit was outrageous
Chris,Just where your normal clothes.!!!! They will fit in 60's period