Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Jan 2021, 10:46 (Ref:4028371)   #2526
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Give it ten months and see what happens.
Things will work out it’s just that certain stuff and people will be a pain until then.
The Norway/Sweden boarder is not a problem and nor is Switzerland/Germany,Italy,France,Austria,Lichtenstein boarder!
Old 12 Jan 2021, 10:51 (Ref:4028375)   #2527
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree, although the carnet thing, not unexpected, does appear to be excessively costly. I wonder if organisers such as PA, Roadbook etc. Might lobby the Customs to reduce costs for amateurs. Just think of the impact on the 6hrs.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 10:52 (Ref:4028377)   #2528
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
One bit of the latest MSUK announcement caught my eye. The carnets are issued at a 'special price' of 'only' £240 by the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce. Then it says you fill in all the information online and the CoC print it, authorise it and post it out the following day. So what exactly are they doing for their fee? Providing some stationery and stamping it?

I'd still like to know on what basis MSUK think a carnet is required for non-professionals - all they say is 'Following advice, Motorsport UK understands that an ATA Carnet will be required to temporarily move motorsport vehicles and equipment across the border.'
All very vague and non-specific, sounding exactly like more Project Fear. Advice from whom? And what question was asked?
The guidance by the Birmingham CoC expert document states : (link: https://www.greaterbirminghamchamber...e-jan-2021.pdf)
There are three separate conventions that we can issue carnets for these are as follows:
•A) Commercial Samples–When goods are going out of the UK to be shown to potential customers to generate sales.
•B) International Trade Fairs/show/Exhibitions–When goods are going out for the purpose of being exhibited in a trade show. This can include the items themselves as well as exhibition stands
•C) Professional Equipment–When goods are going out for the purpose of fulfilling their function for such things as dry weather testing, road testing etc;
none of which sound anything like an amateur taking sports equipment on holiday. What we do is not that different from taking a tennis racquet and some spare balls abroad, or a rucksack full of climbing equipment for personal use.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 11:02 (Ref:4028382)   #2529
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I agree, although the carnet thing, not unexpected, does appear to be excessively costly. I wonder if organisers such as PA, Roadbook etc. Might lobby the Customs to reduce costs for amateurs. Just think of the impact on the 6hrs.
The costs are not set by Customs Peter - it's the cartel of Chambers of Commerce setting the fees for issuing and authorising the carnets, and providing the insurance bond against failure to re-export from the destination country. IF a carnet is indeed required - and I fail to be convinced on the evidence from MSUK so far - then there should be nothing to stop an individual creating the forms from templates and having them stamped up by their local CoC for a small fee, 25 quid would seem reasonable for 5 minutes work. On the same basis, as Aviva have the insurance bond scheme in place then the individual should be able to deal with them directly for the cover.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 11:08 (Ref:4028384)   #2530
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
.. I suspect this is just jobsworths getting their jollies.
Quote:
Sounds good to me, we can stop them for the same thing.
So if I'm reading this right - Dutch applying the rules = "jobsworth", but also "hey - we should do that too".
Old 12 Jan 2021, 11:11 (Ref:4028385)   #2531
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
The costs are not set by Customs Peter - it's the cartel of Chambers of Commerce setting the fees for issuing and authorising the carnets, and providing the insurance bond against failure to re-export from the destination country. IF a carnet is indeed required - and I fail to be convinced on the evidence from MSUK so far - then there should be nothing to stop an individual creating the forms from templates and having them stamped up by their local CoC for a small fee, 25 quid would seem reasonable for 5 minutes work. On the same basis, as Aviva have the insurance bond scheme in place then the individual should be able to deal with them directly for the cover.
Yup. My reference to C&I was because that's who may be asking for them. Worth checking directly methinks.

As to the sandwich thing, someone just likened it to fining people for walking with a cup of coffee. Over zealous was the phrase used.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 11:15 (Ref:4028387)   #2532
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
So if I'm reading this right - Dutch applying the rules = "jobsworth", but also "hey - we should do that too".
Indeed, why not? I'm sure someone will see it as a reasonable position. However, see my post to MGD above.

That said I read this morning that hauliers are increasing their rates from €1.5 to €10 per KM due to border uncertainty. That won't last because sure as eggs is eggs someone will undercut them.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 11:17 (Ref:4028388)   #2533
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Answer is to race road registered vehicles!
No carnet
Reason for us playing with those Pre War things
Old 12 Jan 2021, 11:22 (Ref:4028389)   #2534
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Is it hauliers or forwarders?
Forwarders have never been known to miss a trick to maximise the margins
All you need is a lap top, telephone and fancy suit and your away!
Old 12 Jan 2021, 11:22 (Ref:4028390)   #2535
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Answer is to race road registered vehicles!
No carnet
Reason for us playing with those Pre War things
My MG is road registered and insured. Still travels on a trailer though. Can you imagine the scenes as twenty GT40s all disembark the ferry at Calais?
Old 12 Jan 2021, 11:26 (Ref:4028393)   #2536
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonn ledwidge View Post
Many thanks for your most helpful input on this.

Seems I'll be reviving old skills from my first job in shipping in 1960's and looking for a change of ASN. Small price to pay for 'taking back control'.
Doing a bit more reading up on this .

https://www.gov.uk/taking-goods-out-uk-temporarily Click on [If you do not use a carnet].
It appears you can use a " Duplicate List ", instead of having to pay for a carnet .
Not very obvious how it is done , probably because they would rather have everybody paying , but this is well worth checking out if you only go abroad a few times .
Old 12 Jan 2021, 11:33 (Ref:4028398)   #2537
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yup. My reference to C&I was because that's who may be asking for them. Worth checking directly methinks.

As to the sandwich thing, someone just likened it to fining people for walking with a cup of coffee. Over zealous was the phrase used.
The sandwich thing is actually in the rules .
https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021
No meat or dairy products to cross borders .
Old 12 Jan 2021, 11:36 (Ref:4028400)   #2538
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That said I read this morning that hauliers are increasing their rates from €1.5 to €10 per KM due to border uncertainty. That won't last because sure as eggs is eggs someone will undercut them.
Whilst I agree that the spike in rates won't last long (as you say - somebody will undercut that) there are added costs that are going to be passed on so rates will overall increase.

There are also more empty vehicle movements going on at the moment - into Northern Ireland in particular. Empty vehicles going to NI and returning loaded (it's easier to get stuff out of NI than in). That's going to be pushing up costs as well (although again - if the process into NI gets sorted that should reduce).
Old 12 Jan 2021, 11:38 (Ref:4028402)   #2539
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You may read this, registered motor sport vehicles, private or commercial, it applies.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-fo...net-will-cover
Old 12 Jan 2021, 11:42 (Ref:4028405)   #2540
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Whilst I agree that the spike in rates won't last long (as you say - somebody will undercut that) there are added costs that are going to be passed on so rates will overall increase.

There are also more empty vehicle movements going on at the moment - into Northern Ireland in particular. Empty vehicles going to NI and returning loaded (it's easier to get stuff out of NI than in). That's going to be pushing up costs as well (although again - if the process into NI gets sorted that should reduce).
Understood. I think we all expected a bumpy start. As John says give it Time.

Tel, even if in the rules and it is the same the world over, a sandwich for personal consumption is not really in the spirit of importing meat and dairy products. I remember arriving in Russia from Kazakhstan and the customs bloke asked me if I had any "dead animals" with me. Another challenge used to be smuggling pork products past customs when arriving in Doha from the UAE.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 11:59 (Ref:4028409)   #2541
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
You may read this, registered motor sport vehicles, private or commercial, it applies.

Thanks Louis. The CARS UK rates appear lower than those quoted by MSUK.

Next question, do we need a carnet for the tow car or indeed any car we want to use touring Europe?
Old 12 Jan 2021, 12:26 (Ref:4028413)   #2542
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
The sandwich thing is actually in the rules .
https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021
No meat or dairy products to cross borders .
Just go Vegan! Although given the choice of giving up meat or giving up European trips the bacon buttie wins every time ;-)

>>>>>>>I'd still like to know on what basis MSUK think a carnet is required for non-professionals - all they say is 'Following advice, Motorsport UK understands that an ATA Carnet will be required to temporarily move motorsport vehicles and equipment across the border.'

Because the MSUK can't think beyond commercial race teams, privateers racing for fun don't cross their minds. We see it all the time in karting.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 13:06 (Ref:4028422)   #2543
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Just go Vegan! Although given the choice of giving up meat or giving up European trips the bacon buttie wins every time ;-)

>>>>>>>I'd still like to know on what basis MSUK think a carnet is required for non-professionals - all they say is 'Following advice, Motorsport UK understands that an ATA Carnet will be required to temporarily move motorsport vehicles and equipment across the border.'

Because the MSUK can't think beyond commercial race teams, privateers racing for fun don't cross their minds. We see it all the time in karting.
I think that MSUK item is wrong .
Cars do not need an ATA , but as in Duddha,s link , they will need a CPD for some countries which are not in Europe .
And the ATA for spares etc is not needed if you go by this link
https://www.gov.uk/taking-goods-out-uk-temporarily
which means you can do it by "Duplicate List ".
But it seems that most of the information put out will be to try to make people pay for things which are not actually needed.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 15:07 (Ref:4028436)   #2544
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
-temporarily[/url]

But it seems that most of the information put out will be to try to make people pay for things which are not actually needed.
This must be a factor for about 50% of what the developed countries refer to as "Gross National Product".

Maybe more than 50% .
Old 12 Jan 2021, 15:21 (Ref:4028439)   #2545
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:

seen that before; as Tel911 alluded to, it states:

'You mainly need a CPD in:

Africa
Asia
the Middle East
Oceania (the Pacific)
South America'

Not Europe?
Old 12 Jan 2021, 15:24 (Ref:4028441)   #2546
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
The whole point about carnets of both types is to avoid paying import duty on goods for temporary import and then re-export.

However as the deal we signed with EU is duty-free and quota-free, where is the need?

Anyone?
Old 12 Jan 2021, 16:55 (Ref:4028462)   #2547
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
The whole point about carnets of both types is to avoid paying import duty on goods for temporary import and then re-export.

However as the deal we signed with EU is duty-free and quota-free, where is the need?

Anyone?
Best address that question to Mr B Johnson, Downing St or Ms U Van der Layan, Brussels
Old 12 Jan 2021, 16:57 (Ref:4028464)   #2548
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

This is correct for rest of the world. It may apply to EU for single seaters, but cars with a V5C are a different animal. I contacted MSUK today. They werent very helpful. They appear to have not sort guidance from HMRC, they have been advised by the Chamber of Commerce. From what I understand it is the Chamber of Commerce that they are doing their scheme through......who I assume see selling more Carnet as advantageous. When I mentioned the tripple list solution and sent them the link they failed to even comment on it.

If my car has a V5C then I can "take" it through the port without a Carnet if I am driving. My question is simple, why would this import duty position change if I were to be towing it instead?

Our race cars are a small part. The same must apply to rally cars. But it would also apply to Smart cars on Motorhomes and moped/scooters on motorhomes that have nothing to do with racing.

I e-called HMRC and had a discussion with them. They pointed me to CARS Europe. I said that I wanted a definitive decision from HMRC, CARS are a commercial organisation with a vested interest. The kind lady sent me a form which I have sent off.

I went through Switzerland to Monza with a single seater a few years ago (car has a V5C). I enquired beofre I went and was assured it was OK. I did the red lane and stopped etc at the border. The guards were fine once they saw the V5C

I dont think yesterdays communication from MSUK was sufficiently well researched and it didnt really appreciate the position of the average club guy who manages to squeeze a trip to Spa once a year
Old 12 Jan 2021, 17:16 (Ref:4028471)   #2549
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Since when has enforcing the law or rules become over zealous? Have you ever tried to take a piece of fruit that you got on an aircraft but haven't yet consumed through the immigration area when you arrive in somewhere like Australia. They would have it off you immediately, and possibly fine you as well!

They are just enforcing the rules, just like we now have to because Nigel Farage wanted to leave the EU, and Cameron at al wouldn't face him down.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 17:20 (Ref:4028472)   #2550
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Whatever. I suggest you read all of my post instead of picking up one word and trying to manipulate it. I also said it is pretty normal all over the world, even gave you examples.

As to Brexit many of us voted for it so get over it.