Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Jan 2003, 23:41 (Ref:473474)   #1
Edgar Jessop
Rookie

Edgar Jessop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silly Question for a scrutineer

I've just watched a little boy-racer driving through London in his new red BMW Mini with a white roof and a sad array of 'Championship sponsors' decals' down the front door. Of course he doesn't race it but seeing it set me to wonder about his blacked out windows. What does RACMSA or some kind scrutineer [ahem, cough, splutter, brown and nose] have to say about tinted side glass?
Old 14 Jan 2003, 06:49 (Ref:473645)   #2
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as far as racing goes tinted glass which can effect vision in or out is prohibited (one reason is for when marshals turn up if the glass is tinted they cant see how the driver is). On the roads it is legal but there are certain tints for each window (I think) however any racing numbers are not.
But if hes got all that done I recon he must like a right $%#@ driving round London
Old 14 Jan 2003, 09:11 (Ref:473703)   #3
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tinted windows on race cars! Takes me back to the early 70's when a regular Oulton Park special saloon racer had florescent perspex windows in his Ford Zodiac! racer ( Roy Yates - if memory serves me correctly).

He also used to drive the thing to and from the circuit, (often seen just outside the circuit gates installing the mechanic in the boot to avoid payment).
Old 14 Jan 2003, 12:29 (Ref:473821)   #4
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
As Brickkicker said, is not allowed for safety reasons.

The BTCC Honda of James Kaye had it in the early rounds last year until he was asked to remove it, and then he run with clear windows for the rest of the year.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 18:46 (Ref:474225)   #5
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of seasons ago a scrutineer at Cadwell took a dislike to my tinted visor, this was a normal dark tint on an Arai GP3K, not one of those fancy Cara coat shiny jobs. He argued that after an accident the marshals would not be able to see if I was conscious,my first aid training has indicated that you always talk to a casualty first to ascertain level of awareness.After a full and frank discussion and him realising that probably half the drivers would not be on the grid if he pursued this stance he backed down, but I was interested in the marshals opinions on this.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 00:50 (Ref:474637)   #6
Edgar Jessop
Rookie

Edgar Jessop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks! I'd never considered the question of marshalls looking in! I suddenly thought I might have found another reason to tell the Clerk of the Course why I hadn't been able to see that darkest tinted flag they were waving at me!

Quote:
Originally posted by Flagman
a regular Oulton Park special saloon racer had florescent perspex windows in his Ford Zodiac! racer ( Roy Yates - if memory serves me correctly).

He also used to drive the thing to and from the circuit, (often seen just outside the circuit gates installing the mechanic in the boot to avoid payment).

Great story! I would start a thread asking the best ways to get into circuits ... but we might all still want our little secrets
Old 15 Jan 2003, 06:38 (Ref:474785)   #7
brickkicker
Veteran

Quote:
A couple of seasons ago a scrutineer at Cadwell took a dislike to my tinted visor
Barry the visors are meant to be clear however as long as all flags can be distinguished they are let go. So guess the scrutineer was reading his book the night before
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:43 (Ref:475322)   #8
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The DTM cars at Donington last season were sporting some form of colour to the windows, which made it impossible to see the drivers from the side..Yes we should approach a driver from the front i know....but....Bricky, you will remember that, well presume you were sober during the day
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:15 (Ref:475373)   #9
brickkicker
Veteran

I was on coppice for that and all I remember is going to sleep during the gaps in races. Dont think ill be there for it this year.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 22:01 (Ref:475637)   #10
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry Pomfret
, but I was interested in the marshals opinions on this.
I personally always try to see the driver's eyes when attending any incident, if only to try and determine if he/she is about to floor-it and try to rejoin the race/event etc. As a large percentage of incidents end up with the car the right way up and drivable?, it is normal for a driver to try and continue in one way or another.
It is for just this reason that I teach all marshal's under me, at any given post, to remove their sunglasses before approaching a driver. You can read so much by able to see someone's eyes.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 19:24 (Ref:476503)   #11
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sounds like agood one to me stu. but i have to interject that sometimes it would be safer for drivers to at least wear a tinted facshield. I have had some kart races that some later in the day and we are very subject to being blinded by the low sun and the glare. I have seen more than one person driving with a hand up to block the sun which makes things more confusing given the dual meaning of that signal
Old 17 Jan 2003, 19:40 (Ref:477589)   #12
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A standard for drivers in the US is that is they feel they can continue they will leave their visor in place. If they feel they are unable to continue without assistance they will raise the visor. No help if the driver is unconsciuos of course.
Also from over the water, where most marshals wear sun glasses, 'cos you have to in summer there! Always take them off to look at track surface or when attendinga stopped driver, partly as Stu says, and partly so you don't lose oil etc on the surface.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 22:25 (Ref:478494)   #13
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
All the WRC cars have tinted side and rear windows for the rallies where sun is likely to be a problem. Ford last year had a mirrored finish to theirs though obviously they could see out of teh window...
Old 21 Jan 2003, 07:14 (Ref:480798)   #14
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Always take them off to look at track surface or when attendinga stopped driver, partly as Stu says, and partly so you don't lose oil etc on the surface.
I have found that wearing polarised sun glasses sometimes helps see oil/water - by altering the angle of the head and hence the polarisation the oil/water shows up quite nicely.