Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 29 Apr 2021, 13:33 (Ref:4048462)   #2051
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Things could change here, about curfew and lockdown. 3 May: curfew at 7 PM we are allowed to travel from one area to another, schools to reopen. 19 May: curfew at 9 PM, shops, museums, theaters to reopen, restaurants with terrasse too, spectators allowed at sport places (800 inside, 1000 outside). 9 June: curfew at 11 PM, restaurants and bistrots to reopen. Subject to "pass sanitaire", fairs welcoming 5000 people AND foreign tourists. 30 June: back to normality… discotheques excepted! All this TBC and subject to change of course…
Old 29 Apr 2021, 13:40 (Ref:4048464)   #2052
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

but I've just noted hail pattering down on the car outside my window, although the external thermometer says its 5C.........
It's 12c at the moment and most days have been quite warm, however I am still lighting the wood burner in the evening. I'll be glad to get back to Spain
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Apr 2021, 13:44 (Ref:4048466)   #2053
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Things could change here, about curfew and lockdown. 3 May: curfew at 7 PM we are allowed to travel from one area to another, schools to reopen. 19 May: curfew at 9 PM, shops, museums, theaters to reopen, restaurants with terrasse too, spectators allowed at sport places (800 inside, 1000 outside). 9 June: curfew at 11 PM, restaurants and bistrots to reopen. Subject to "pass sanitaire", fairs welcoming 5000 people AND foreign tourists. 30 June: back to normality… discotheques excepted! All this TBC and subject to change of course…
...and of course, from what I can see, depending on which government minister/spokesman/tea boy you are speaking to. Up here the schools are already up & running.

Incidentally, I did meet a gendarme last Saturday when I was a bit more than 10km from home but he was busy at the time chasing his papers as they blew away down the road, at the scene of an accident!
Old 29 Apr 2021, 15:03 (Ref:4048484)   #2054
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Was he paying a remake of Le Gendarme de St Tropez??
The 10 kl thingy is as the crow flies but our crows are known to be drunk all time. They dont fly straight, officer, so its 12 or 15 and may be more…
Old 29 Apr 2021, 15:19 (Ref:4048490)   #2055
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Was he paying a remake of Le Gendarme de St Tropez??
The 10 kl thingy is as the crow flies but our crows are known to be drunk all time. They dont fly straight, officer, so its 12 or 15 and may be more…
I don't know that one, but it did make me smile as every time he went to stamp on the paper it blew a bit further away.

Will the drunk crow make it to 40km? (Just asking for a friend...)
Old 29 Apr 2021, 15:20 (Ref:4048491)   #2056
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Always between what they want us to believe, knowing that they know nothing, but they think they know more than others and or course can give orders to the virus, this is how our instances are. What a shame. Of course, early July the virus will be sent our of our borders…
Old 29 Apr 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4048492)   #2057
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
As to the crow we have a proverb: les corbeaux volent sur le dos pour ne pas voir la misère qu'il y a en bas! In this case, 40 km is few.
Old 29 Apr 2021, 15:40 (Ref:4048494)   #2058
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Always between what they want us to believe, knowing that they know nothing, but they think they know more than others and or course can give orders to the virus, this is how our instances are. What a shame. Of course, early July the virus will be sent our of our borders…
Has the virus been informed of the revised timings of the curfew? Will it accept the changes & behave?
Old 29 Apr 2021, 15:47 (Ref:4048496)   #2059
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Of course it will accept! It cant ignore the orders coming from Nabot-Léon and his mate, Castagnette! What a clique of pricks!
Old 29 Apr 2021, 15:57 (Ref:4048500)   #2060
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Of course it will accept! It cant ignore the orders coming from Nabot-Léon and his mate, Castagnette! What a clique of pricks!
Is Castagnette clackers??
Old 29 Apr 2021, 16:14 (Ref:4048502)   #2061
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
With a name like that, he’s bound to be a bit banging!
Old 29 Apr 2021, 16:48 (Ref:4048507)   #2062
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Tout a fait John, c'est ce qui arrive quand nous parlons de nos belles-mères: un grand numéro de claquettes! With much more less people dying this could be a pathetic farce. But its for real.
Old 29 Apr 2021, 18:28 (Ref:4048529)   #2063
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What a magic trick we're witnessing. "No more worry, I re-open your beloved bistrots and holy restaurants, please remember this and vote for me next time"! All the others are ugly, mean and nasty of course. There's no wall paper in the Elysee, gold paint only…
Old 29 Apr 2021, 18:28 (Ref:4048528)   #2064
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Tout a fait John, c'est ce qui arrive quand nous parlons de nos belles-mères: un grand numéro de claquettes! With much more less people dying this could be a pathetic farce. But its for real.

Donc?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 29 Apr 2021, 18:32 (Ref:4048531)   #2065
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper View Post
Donc?
We're still waiting for a mass vaccination, juts got the tests last week. 5.5 M had two jabs, many living in a retirement home. Not a good way to be exceptional imo… All communication is smokescreen.
Old 30 Apr 2021, 11:31 (Ref:4048657)   #2066
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
We're still waiting for a mass vaccination, juts got the tests last week. 5.5 M had two jabs, many living in a retirement home. Not a good way to be exceptional imo… All communication is smokescreen.
If you wait long enough it will be possible to skip the difficult to store (bit getting less difficult by the week) first vaccines and simply take the pills that are being suggested and that might be available "soon".

One pill every 6 months.

Or is it 6 weeks?

Got to keep up with mutations.
Old 30 Apr 2021, 12:27 (Ref:4048671)   #2067
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thank you Grant, but we dont have the word "soon" in our viral dictionary I fear…
Old 30 Apr 2021, 13:14 (Ref:4048691)   #2068
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the restrictions easing out a bit here , people have been getting out a bit more .
Had the annual open day at our workshop last Sunday , and the cars that turned up were quite impressive . So it must have been a good excuse to take their motors out for a run .
2 GT40s , half a dozen Cobra,s , Astons , Ferrari,s , Jags , Rolls , Bentleys and
lots of old classics .
One customer even turned up in a Helicopter .
https://www.forc.org.uk/forc-our-gallery-2021.php

Link to loads of pictures .
Old 30 Apr 2021, 15:11 (Ref:4048712)   #2069
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Thank you Grant, but we dont have the word "soon" in our viral dictionary I fear…
Gerard,

"Soon" is a comparative term that allows it to mean almost anything.

To me it can often mean "some time in the next week or so ..."

To my Wife it is "NOW!

In fiscal terms, if your viral time scale can be extended between activities the net cost will be less of a burden on the customers and there is potential for simplified solutions. If one can extend a panic opportunity into a "Subscription" opportunity the short term will look good to the clients and the long term will look good for the bottom line.

Such is the nature of the modern economy.
Old 30 Apr 2021, 16:24 (Ref:4048728)   #2070
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You, me and our wives seem to use the same meaning of soon, Grant!
Old 30 Apr 2021, 20:50 (Ref:4048815)   #2071
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
You, me and our wives seem to use the same meaning of soon, Grant!
I'm grateful to know I am not alone!

Thinking of the "subscription" economy one wonders if it could be widely applied to "family" life in the future and thus avoid all of the costliness of change when change is deemed necessary and unavoidable.

Simply cancel the subscription when the facility no longer meets requirements.

I once worked with a chap whose opinion was that a marriage relationship should be a contract renewable every 7 years. He has, as I recall, 1 divorce in his portfolio and no kids.

At the time he was about 5 years into an unofficial marriage with a lady who had one child from a previous marriage. Bothof them wished to emigrate to the USA and to do so would be a lot easier if married. So they got married duroing a holiday in the US.

About 2 years, maybe 3, (after they successfully arrived in the US and got through the required qualifying period of residence) the 7 year period expired (might have been a little less than 7 years) and he partnered with a work colleague - interestingly another lady who also came with resident child from a previous marriage. I have no idea what led him to such strange choices. Unless there was an element of child support from former partners of the ladies involved that might make a future subscription cancellation less costly.

I have not had any contact with him for some years now. If the pattern has repeated he may be on a fifth subscription relationship by this time. Or perhaps a sixth.
Old 2 May 2021, 08:11 (Ref:4049134)   #2072
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Further to recent postings about the telephone numbers that come up on your phone display with these scam calls, there is an article on the BBC website about what they call number spoofing that is used to make many of these calls. They say that it possibly will not be eradicated until about 2025 by when a different system will be used to display the correct numbers. See: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56934517
Old 2 May 2021, 10:43 (Ref:4049167)   #2073
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Further to recent postings about the telephone numbers that come up on your phone display with these scam calls, there is an article on the BBC website about what they call number spoofing that is used to make many of these calls. They say that it possibly will not be eradicated until about 2025 by when a different system will be used to display the correct numbers. See: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56934517
They also put some effort in to make it look right - I had the HMRC call and played along for over forty minutes as I was in the car. They took lots of (false) details and after 'assessing' my feedback advised that I would be contacted by the investigating officer at my local station. Another guy then called back using the correct number id for Royston and told me an arrest warrant would soon be issued.

I got him to confirm he was there and then told him I would drop into the station as I was passing on the A505 to clear the matter up which spooked him and he strongly advised against as I would have to be arrested. He said it was better that he had more time to look into how I might be able to deal with the fake accounts allegedly set up - no doubt pay to make the problem go away.
Old 2 May 2021, 14:14 (Ref:4049193)   #2074
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Obviously some body other, maybe the banks possibly or even the police, has been busy briefing the media about the fact that the problem is getting out of hand because this matter has cropped up in multiple newspapers today urging the phone companies and internet providers who issue email addresses to be more proactive, as well as calling for more action to be taken against those companies that issue website domains.
Old 2 May 2021, 14:23 (Ref:4049198)   #2075
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
When I have a call from one of those companies, prior to any discussion I ask how they had my number, website, list and so on. Because they now dont use the secret mode, its rather easy to block them later via the phone. The list is longon my phone but it works.