Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 May 2021, 18:00 (Ref:4052088)   #2201
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Times have changed as we all know. I was desperate to get into motor racing as a 16 year old. I went marshaling at Brands Hatch and would use lunch time to go around the paddock to get as much info as I could to start to build a car.
I guess these days there are plenty of college opportunities for the youngsters to get into motor sport. that's an idea perhaps MSUK should make it compulsory for students to do a stint at marshaling.
I did notice at Wiscombe Park Hill climb a couple of weeks back that there was no shortage of marshals at the event, I got a wave every time I came back down the hill.
Old 17 May 2021, 23:18 (Ref:4052119)   #2202
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Meeting a great many of our friends trackside as a photographer, you realise that they are above all enthusiasts, and give their time gladly, should marshaling become a 'profession' many may feel it has lost the spirit of the job.
Being paid means commitment, and takes away freedom of choice as to where and when to work.
There is no easy solution, although I can envisage an army of 'professional' marshals who work at events like the Grand Prix and BTCC, while the enthusiasts cover the club events, possibly with a contribution towards expenses.

I would also impose a fine on any driver who did not wave at the marshals at the end of a race, that is not a lot to ask - is it?

Just a few thoughts.

Totally agree, Bob.

For many marshals, I suspect it is a hobby for them, just as the racing is a hobby for those of us that compete. I suspect the majority are motorsport enthusiasts who do it because of a passion for the sport and it's also a way of 'getting involved' for many who would love to have a go, but perhaps cannot afford to compete themselves.

If they were paid a worthwhile amount, I wonder if that runs the risk of attracting a different type of marshal? I'm not suggesting they shouldn't be paid, but just playing devil's advocate - is it possible that paying them a decent amount may attract a completely different type of person? The type, possibly, who isn't that interested in the sport or the cars, or perhaps has a passing interest and sees a day's marshaling as an easy pay cheque for a day spent watching the cars go round?

I don't know if this would happen - it just occurred to me that it might. It would be interesting to hear what the experienced marshals themselves have to say about it.

Another consideration surely has to be the implications of the differences between a 'volunteer' and an 'employee' as they would surely become, even if only for the day, if they were properly paid? I'm no expert on employment law, but I'll wager there are a huge number of potential ramifications for any club or circuit becoming an 'employer' of marshals, as well as the ramifications for the 'employed' marshals, such as having to declare income to HMRC for starters, filling in self-assessment tax forms, etc, etc. I imagine the whole idea could rapidly become a minefield, whichever side of the fence you're on (no pun intended!).
Old 18 May 2021, 01:26 (Ref:4052123)   #2203
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Your musings are doubtless sound, Paul - we need to find some way in which a "donation" to marshals can be made without triggering employment status.

Whilst I always make every effort to acknowledge marshals at the end of a race (and I know my race partner says its the one thing he misses by doing the first stints) I'm always amazed that even an also-ran like myself gets a clap from the marshals on the slowing-down lap......I always imagine its their gratitude that I haven't caused them aggro by falling off or punting anyone else off
Old 18 May 2021, 06:50 (Ref:4052131)   #2204
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Your musings are doubtless sound, Paul - we need to find some way in which a "donation" to marshals can be made without triggering employment status.

Whilst I always make every effort to acknowledge marshals at the end of a race (and I know my race partner says its the one thing he misses by doing the first stints) I'm always amazed that even an also-ran like myself gets a clap from the marshals on the slowing-down lap......I always imagine its their gratitude that I haven't caused them aggro by falling off or punting anyone else off
I must admit that during my brief racing career the acknowledgement I get from the marshals (who I always acknowledged too) on the slowing down race was another 'buzz' I got from racing. I suppose that it was a mixture of a feeling of camaraderie, saying thank you to them as I couldn't have been racing if they weren't there and thinking that I'd hopefully entertained them with my efforts.
Old 18 May 2021, 06:55 (Ref:4052132)   #2205
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I suspect in your case, it's sarcasm.

But seriously, has anyone asked the marshals why there is a falling number of volunteers? Maybe it is not simply expense that is the problem, perhaps a questionnaire might give some indication of what else is the cause.

Eee by gum, eet's becoomimg complex/
Old 18 May 2021, 09:04 (Ref:4052138)   #2206
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
But seriously, has anyone asked the marshals why there is a falling number of volunteers? Maybe it is not simply expense that is the problem, perhaps a questionnaire might give some indication of what else is the cause.
Good idea but if I may recommend, dont do it the french way… priority is to ask to the non returning ones. Each time we have a consultation here, the results are obviously showing great figures, this is what happens when you ask to returning customers.
Old 18 May 2021, 15:59 (Ref:4052180)   #2207
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not just the falling numbers, it's the matter of retention and of an increasing average age of marshals.
Old 21 May 2021, 07:20 (Ref:4052491)   #2208
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The marshall question is pretty straightforward I believe.

My father did marshall as one of his multiple hats and when he did I usually was the one accompanying him trackside. It's a tough job, standing all day in possible and miserable conditions depending on the weather, long days and I think the people these days are not up for taking such jobs unpaid and without any recognition.

It's something that is not just an issue in motorsport, volunteers are becoming a rare thing in many sports, I see it in athletics and triathlon too.

The world as it develops is only becoming more and more selfish and that is maybe a reason, giving has become optional but time is expensive too and marshalling is indeed a lot of time, costs as well and not necessarily recognised the way it should.
Old 21 May 2021, 09:37 (Ref:4052504)   #2209
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
It's something that is not just an issue in motorsport, volunteers are becoming a rare thing in many sports, I see it in athletics and triathlon too.

This may be true in some cases, but, for example, there were a huge number of individuals who volunteered for the Olympics in London back in 2012 - more than they actually needed, and it was actually a shortage of paid people for security, etc. which was the problem: I seem to recall that members of the armed forces had to be called in - and not sport, but the number of volunteers who have helped out during this pandemic is amazing.
Old 21 May 2021, 11:34 (Ref:4052517)   #2210
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
The marshall question is pretty straightforward I believe.

My father did marshall as one of his multiple hats and when he did I usually was the one accompanying him trackside. It's a tough job, standing all day in possible and miserable conditions depending on the weather, long days and I think the people these days are not up for taking such jobs unpaid and without any recognition.

The world as it develops is only becoming more and more selfish and that is maybe a reason, giving has become optional but time is expensive too and marshalling is indeed a lot of time, costs as well and not necessarily recognised the way it should.
Spot on Louis.
The buzz I get from doing the Classic Marshall's BBQ is eminence, I have since made some very good friends.Also the response I get from drivers who want to do a small something in returns also special.Roll on August.
Old 21 May 2021, 11:35 (Ref:4052518)   #2211
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
The publication of our Finals for next weekend's CSCC Donington included the announcement that donations to our Marshal's fund were allowing us to give a Breakfast Baguette to all Marshals on each day. Enjoy, guys!

And at the risk of opening a can of worms........why do some spell it "marshal" and others "marshall" ?.... oddly, I always use the former, but would always use a "ll" in "marshalling"........
Old 21 May 2021, 11:40 (Ref:4052519)   #2212
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And at the risk of opening a can of worms........why do some spell it "marshal" and others "marshall" ?.... oddly, I always use the former, but would always use a "ll" in "marshalling"........
https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...57&postcount=6

Quote:
donations to our Marshal's fund were allowing us to give a Breakfast Baguette to all Marshals on each day. Enjoy, guys!
Whilst the can is open - is the fund for one marshal (marshal's fund) or for all marshals (marshals' fund)?

Old 21 May 2021, 13:07 (Ref:4052529)   #2213
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...57&postcount=6

Whilst the can is open - is the fund for one marshal (marshal's fund) or for all marshals (marshals' fund)?

Hoist by my own petard, I suspect

I shall go off to marshal my thoughts for a suitably martial response
Old 21 May 2021, 16:10 (Ref:4052550)   #2214
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
The buzz I get from doing the Classic Marshall's BBQ is eminence, I have since made some very good friends.Also the response I get from drivers who want to do a small something in returns also special.
And it works from abroad if I'm correct…
Old 21 May 2021, 19:38 (Ref:4052602)   #2215
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Because some spell it wrong. But which ones? Aye, there's the rub.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 22 May 2021, 05:29 (Ref:4052649)   #2216
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
And at the risk of opening a can of worms........why do some spell it "marshal" and others "marshall" ?
Well, marshal goes together with sir, more likely, yes sir. You write it like that when one of those people give you an invite to the race direction. Yes sir, not my fault, did not see the marshal, dont like the yellow color and so on…
As to marshalllllll it comes to your mouth in certain circumstances, like when you rolled the car or when a strong smell of warm electric wires and gazoline are dominent in your b*lls area.
Please note Rich', that several "Ls" often come with a single "F". Like "cant you open the f door" or "cant you cut the f belt" or "cant you use the f FE".
Old 23 May 2021, 20:54 (Ref:4052982)   #2217
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Presumably at least partly because it has been Monaco GP weekend, this popped up as a YouTube suggestion.

1955 GP.

Some interesting camera locations and angles.

Mercedes not doing as well as expected.

Good film quality, in colour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWFZ9TnD35w
Old 24 May 2021, 16:24 (Ref:4053189)   #2218
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Presumably at least partly because it has been Monaco GP weekend, this popped up as a YouTube suggestion.

1955 GP.

Some interesting camera locations and angles.

Mercedes not doing as well as expected.

Good film quality, in colour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWFZ9TnD35w

Thanks for posting this. Just how GP racing should be. No need for artificial measures, just pure driving skill and much more respect between competitors. Still what happened to Ascari makes me thankful for increased safety standards. Also nice to see Monaco, despite now having the swimming pool section, hasn’t changed much down the years. And the usually dominant Mercs failing at Monaco show some things haven’t changed
Old 26 May 2021, 12:35 (Ref:4053447)   #2219
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
for info only.
Attached Thumbnails
w660_12216688_revivaleshotheadertemplate1200x1600pxhero.jpg  
Old 27 May 2021, 09:37 (Ref:4053535)   #2220
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I went into work early this morning.Through a country lane there was the most beautiful brown owl sitting on a 30 MPH road sign.
I have just been reminded today is the anniversary of Mike passing away.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike Bell first run in Delta Mallory Park..JPG
Views:	9
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	68747
Old 27 May 2021, 10:06 (Ref:4053537)   #2221
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I went into work early this morning.Through a country lane there was the most beautiful brown owl sitting on a 30 MPH road sign.
I have just been reminded today is the anniversary of Mike passing away.
Attachment 68747
That's a year that seems to have flashed by in some ways but not in others.
Old 27 May 2021, 10:29 (Ref:4053539)   #2222
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I went into work early this morning.Through a country lane there was the most beautiful brown owl sitting on a 30 MPH road sign
Don't be fooled these decoys are the latest police speed cameras
Old 27 May 2021, 12:19 (Ref:4053546)   #2223
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just a little update about my local medical centre, that I wrote about some while ago. Following on someone one from here suggesting making a formal complaint, I now note that they were placed into special measures by the QCC because of a number of inadequacies, my problem with them included.

A short time ago they also received, what I would describe as, a letter with a rude smell included from one of my hospital's consultants, with the result that they decided to open my local surgery down the road from me to administer my injections as well as providing nursing services to other local patients.

However, they are still an absolute shambles and a huge struggle to deal with, often taking up to 4 telephone calls to get things sorted out. Never mind though, at least my hospital is on the ball, and I actually had a face to face on Friday last with my surgeon who has laid out a plan to lead up to the operation that will, hopefully, finish off what they started last year. The unfortunate thing is that, because of the ginormous backlog, it's unlikely to happen soon. Still, never mind, as long as it gets done.
Old 27 May 2021, 13:40 (Ref:4053561)   #2224
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Count yourself lucky to get a face to face with anyone. It's not happening herein Wiltshire.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 27 May 2021, 20:21 (Ref:4053601)   #2225
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Our local practice, and I understand several others in the local area, had a phone system "upgrade" recently. Predictably it is a disaster, with reports of people trying repeatedly (up to 100 times) to get through to reception as soon as the 8.00am "opening of the gates" for daily appointments - which are rapidly taken, of course.

The situation is compounded by lengthy recorded announcements, if you do get through, about covid-related issues, before you get into "position x in the queue" after another bout of "press X for this, press y for that etc" - all of which means the available lines are hugely overloaded.....and of course the doctors are primarily doing telephone consultations after you've been triaged.