Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jun 2021, 04:56 (Ref:4058538)   #2376
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
After this weekend, John, may be you were right with Bertrand. At least when an immense majority of the population dont vote, some politicians understand that the meaning of the message is "Go F yourself"! A good move imo.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 06:40 (Ref:4058544)   #2377
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
After this weekend, John, may be you were right with Bertrand. At least when an immense majority of the population dont vote, some politicians understand that the meaning of the message is "Go F yourself"! A good move imo.
To get such a good vote in what is essentially a left-ish area shows the mark of the man. Whether that would translate nationally, we will see, but at the moment he's looking good. Not so anti-British as Macron either...
Old 28 Jun 2021, 09:26 (Ref:4058578)   #2378
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You mean less Merkel oriented, right?
Strange feeling to imagine him hosted by Elysée with Pécresse as PM! Why not?
Old 28 Jun 2021, 09:51 (Ref:4058584)   #2379
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Terence, you gonna luv this one. Spa 3 Hour. One competitor got "some" penalties for no respect of track limits… The notice board stops at twelve faults! Average notification number four per hour with already 9 during the first hour. Not bad… Cant imagine the mess during a 24 hour!
Old 28 Jun 2021, 10:09 (Ref:4058589)   #2380
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You mean less Merkel oriented, right?
Strange feeling to imagine him hosted by Elysée with Pécresse as PM! Why not?
I may be wrong but I think it was Bertrand who commented a while ago that this region had more in common with the UK & Belgium than it did with the south of France, & there was even talk of collaboration between Haut de France, UK & Belgium.

Whether that is still the case, I don't know.

Merkel of course has completely lost her marbles & should be kicked out in September, with a bit of luck.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 14:22 (Ref:4058658)   #2381
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And now for something completely different .

Is BIG BROTHER watching you a lot more than you think .

Went into a local Hughes store cos " er indoors " bought a new Micro-wave .
Within a couple of hours got a text from Hughes asking if I would do a survey about their customer service .

Never gave them my number , or used the phone to call them , so how did they get it .
A quick look up shows that some places use tracking systems to see who is in their stores . Is this becoming common across the UK now .
https://lifehacker.com/how-retail-st...-and-827512308
Old 28 Jun 2021, 14:39 (Ref:4058660)   #2382
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post

Within a couple of hours got a text from Hughes asking if I would do a survey about their customer service .

Never gave them my number , or used the phone to call them , so how did they get it .
A quick look up shows that some places use tracking systems to see who is in their stores . Is this becoming common across the UK now .
There's a good reason why I don't have a smart phone...
Old 28 Jun 2021, 14:40 (Ref:4058662)   #2383
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I may be wrong but I think it was Bertrand who commented a while ago that this region had more in common with the UK & Belgium than it did with the south of France, & there was even talk of collaboration between Haut de France, UK & Belgium.

Whether that is still the case, I don't know.

Merkel of course has completely lost her marbles & should be kicked out in September, with a bit of luck.
Fair to acknowledge that Bill the conqueror came from that region and of course Henry V owned it once too. And the weather is similar to Frinton. So not surprising they feel like they're Brits!
Old 28 Jun 2021, 15:24 (Ref:4058673)   #2384
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Terence, you gonna luv this one. Spa 3 Hour. One competitor got "some" penalties for no respect of track limits… The notice board stops at twelve faults! Average notification number four per hour with already 9 during the first hour. Not bad… Cant imagine the mess during a 24 hour!
Lol,terminal understeer or wrong specs?
Old 28 Jun 2021, 18:16 (Ref:4058707)   #2385
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
No, no, Terence the team received no less than twelve warnings for track limits. Can you imagine this? How on earth can you ignore the flag so many times and not be Dsq'd? I've been warned once (well may be more) for overtaking outside in Blanchimont, using the grass… My lap time was deleted right away, normal I'd say, but I had a discussion with the CoC after qualy. Painful but deserved.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 18:20 (Ref:4058708)   #2386
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Fun here: http://roadbook.alkamelsystems.com/ Scroll to 3 Hour and have a look to Hour 3, classification last page… Never saw that before, whatever the track!
Old 28 Jun 2021, 18:31 (Ref:4058712)   #2387
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
At this stage you dont need a mechanic, better go to Specsaver and rent a schrink for the weekend!!!
Old 28 Jun 2021, 18:38 (Ref:4058713)   #2388
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Anybody else find it ironic that when you click on that link it immediately requires you to wade through the permissions to disable tracking cookies?

Can't quite see how a store accessing your phone's MAC address via wi-fi would also give them your number so they could text you. Unless you have previously provided them with the info, perhaps on an earlier purchase.......
Old 28 Jun 2021, 19:15 (Ref:4058724)   #2389
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Can't quite see how a store accessing your phone's MAC address via wi-fi would also give them your number so they could text you. Unless you have previously provided them with the info, perhaps on an earlier purchase.......
My point too. Is this kind of thing legal?
Old 28 Jun 2021, 19:52 (Ref:4058727)   #2390
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Anybody else find it ironic that when you click on that link it immediately requires you to wade through the permissions to disable tracking cookies?

That is the worrying thing .
I am 99% certain that they did not have any prior info on me or my phone number .
So the only way they could have tracked me was from being in the store with my phone in my pocket .
Old 28 Jun 2021, 20:17 (Ref:4058731)   #2391
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Interesting.

How did you, or 'er indoors, pay?

In most cases as far as I know I have tracking cookies and everything except "essential", turned off. Nevertheless after a quick search for something (often using words and terms that may, in English, have more than one meaning, I will receive a marketing mailshot about something that could be related to one of the results of the search, whether it be my intended search seek or not. Always unsolicited. Can they really be totally random events?

Of course, when one sends an email with a need for a reply there can often be no response at all. Strange perhaps.

Or do the retail car parks using ANPR tech simply link accidentally "leak" data about the owners of vehicles entering and leaving the car parks?

If you are fairly sure that no information you may have shared with them during the visit would have could have led to communication to your email address it might be worth contacting them and asking what prompted the communication.

Correction - text message not email.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 20:45 (Ref:4058739)   #2392
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Interesting.

How did you, or 'er indoors, pay?

In most cases as far as I know I have tracking cookies and everything except "essential", turned off. Nevertheless after a quick search for something (often using words and terms that may, in English, have more than one meaning, I will receive a marketing mailshot about something that could be related to one of the results of the search, whether it be my intended search seek or not. Always unsolicited. Can they really be totally random events?

Of course, when one sends an email with a need for a reply there can often be no response at all. Strange perhaps.

Or do the retail car parks using ANPR tech simply link accidentally "leak" data about the owners of vehicles entering and leaving the car parks?

If you are fairly sure that no information you may have shared with them during the visit would have could have led to communication to your email address it might be worth contacting them and asking what prompted the communication.

Correction - text message not email.
"Er indoors " paid by card , but that is on a different name to mine .

Possibility of vehicle registration being picked up by store , but any link between vehicle & my mobile no. should not be readily available .

So the whole thing is difficult to understand unless they had trackers which can identify the numbers of any mobiles in the store .
Old 29 Jun 2021, 07:27 (Ref:4058790)   #2393
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Sign of the times . . . .Spa summer classic last weekend, not a single mention on here and doesn't look like any UK cars there either. . .
Old 29 Jun 2021, 07:57 (Ref:4058793)   #2394
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
See post #2361 by MG David, Joe And # 2363 too.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 08:03 (Ref:4058794)   #2395
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Noted

Hardly the usual invasion. . . .
Old 29 Jun 2021, 08:04 (Ref:4058795)   #2396
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed. Fingers crossed for the 6hrs.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 10:42 (Ref:4058810)   #2397
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I know what you're thinking. "Did he have 2 jabs or only one?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself.

You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel 'Elite'?" Well, do ya, punk?
Old 29 Jun 2021, 10:53 (Ref:4058811)   #2398
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I know what you're thinking. "Did he have 2 jabs or only one?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself.

You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel 'Elite'?" Well, do ya, punk?
Old 29 Jun 2021, 16:40 (Ref:4058868)   #2399
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
"Er indoors " paid by card , but that is on a different name to mine .
Different name but same card account?
Old 29 Jun 2021, 16:58 (Ref:4058875)   #2400
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I know what you're thinking. "Did he have 2 jabs or only one?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel 'Elite'?" Well, do ya, punk?
Just back from the "vaccinodrome" my wife had her second one and unlike me she got a passport, looks like a normal one but with QR code. I'll ask if she feels Elite or not! Things are improving, slowly but Shirley…