Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Nov 2001, 23:32 (Ref:172259)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plato to be dropped, confirmation.[As good as]

Check out the BTCC headlines on www.autosport.com for near confirmation that Plato is to be dropped by vauxhall, Thompson to replace him and Priaulx to move into the eggport seat. Sorry to see you leave Plato, hope you get a good seat for 2002!

Last edited by pink69; 8 Nov 2001 at 23:33.
Old 9 Nov 2001, 00:00 (Ref:172282)   #2
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vauxhall ready to drop champ Plato

Thompson poised to take reigning champion's seat

Newly-crowned British Touring Car Champion Jason Plato is to be dropped by the Vauxhall works team in favour of James Thompson, according to this week's AUTOSPORT magazine.

Although Vauxhall personnel refused to comment on the decision, insiders say that Thompson will be promoted from the Triple Eight team's satellite team, Egg Sport, to its works squad alongside Yvan Muller.

That leaves Plato, who defeated Muller in an often bruising title battle this year, looking for a new drive. He is understood to be in talks with MG as well as newcomers Proton.

"I'm sure that it will not be too much of a problem for me to get a good seat for next year," said Plato. "I have proved myself both in and out of the car over the years."

Neither Muller or Thompson would say if they had a deal for 2002, while Vauxhall's motorsport boss Mike Nicholson commented: "When we make up our minds and we're ready, we will announce our plans."

Triple Eight's deal with Egg for next year is also up in the air. If it goes ahead, Phil Bennett is expected to stay on board with Andy Priaulx as a likely candidate for the other berth.

thats the post on autosport

i think Guy has said that MG don't want him so Proton looks likely
Old 9 Nov 2001, 02:47 (Ref:172330)   #3
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I agree, I think Plato will go to Proton, and his teammate will be some unknown from Malaysia.
Old 9 Nov 2001, 09:15 (Ref:172394)   #4
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering that Plato is the champion, and therefore in theory the fastest driver, I am suprised no-one wants him!! Proton would be good - he may be able to bring them to the front of the grid.
Old 9 Nov 2001, 09:41 (Ref:172401)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Andy I don't think it's his driving ability that is precluding him from a drive at the moment do you?
Old 9 Nov 2001, 12:31 (Ref:172434)   #6
AlrightTreacle?
Rookie

AlrightTreacle? should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This news was about on Tuesday. You've only just noticed?!
Old 9 Nov 2001, 12:44 (Ref:172440)   #7
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Plato to be dropped, confirmation.[As good as]

Quote:
Originally posted by pink69
Sorry to see you leave Plato, hope you get a good seat for 2002!
Our local kebab shop is looking for delivery drivers..
Old 9 Nov 2001, 13:04 (Ref:172451)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Come on Chris, he's not THAT good!
Old 9 Nov 2001, 14:05 (Ref:172473)   #9
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, He'll need at least 11 points on his liscence!!
Old 9 Nov 2001, 14:36 (Ref:172487)   #10
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Vauxhall management have been taking lessons from Frank Williams then? You bring us a title and we'll respond by firing you...

No doubt Jase will find a berth somewhere, but unless he's in someone's Astra, I don't personally expect a repeat title performance next season. Is the way now clear for Muller to be 2002 champion?
Old 9 Nov 2001, 14:45 (Ref:172488)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Could be Michael, unless Matt Neil comes back as an MG driver!
Old 10 Nov 2001, 11:22 (Ref:172876)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think that 2 very competitive drivers in one team is ever that good. I'm not sure that it's as simple as that Michael. Plato has created bad press for Vauxhall this year, they surely don't want that again?
Old 10 Nov 2001, 12:31 (Ref:172902)   #13
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
I think Plato just wants to go racing and win, I don't think he cares much about team orders or what the press or fans will think. He just wants to race, and I give him credit for that, however, there is a limit to how far you can take that, for example, look at the Soper-Cleland incident, 1992.
Old 10 Nov 2001, 16:37 (Ref:172975)   #14
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This years incident reminded me of that Cleland-Soper clash, and its a hard one tol call. I think Muller and Plato are both great racers and as much as I like Muller, he ain't no Angel.

It will be a shame if both Soper and Plato don't get a drive for next year, I hate seeing drivers go after just one season, unless thier Total big headed ******s like Aiello. Only joking.
Old 10 Nov 2001, 18:50 (Ref:173002)   #15
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie_harasym
This years incident reminded me of that Cleland-Soper clash, and its a hard one tol call. I think Muller and Plato are both great racers and as much as I like Muller, he ain't no Angel.

It will be a shame if both Soper and Plato don't get a drive for next year, I hate seeing drivers go after just one season, unless thier Total big headed ******s like Aiello. Only joking.
Eddie, you shouln't be joking. I totally agree with that. It's stupid to come to the BTCC for one year, blow everyone away, then leave. I also agree completley with what you said in the first paragraph.
Old 10 Nov 2001, 21:20 (Ref:173029)   #16
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Vauxhall dropping him it just goes to show the price he has paid for his "driving style this year" , he will be a better driver and person if he is made to sit next year out, Proton appears his main option.

Regards

Guy
Old 11 Nov 2001, 08:06 (Ref:173160)   #17
knowlesy59
Racer

Wales
WALES
knowlesy59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Goddard
...he will be a better driver and person if he is made to sit next year out, Proton appears his main option.
sittin out would probably make him a better driver.but i want to see a car with a numero uno on the side next year.
whats happening with honda?.if they come in i reckon that jp will drive for them.proton is the desperate mans drive i think.
Old 11 Nov 2001, 08:35 (Ref:173162)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Whilst I admit to not having seen the Proton in action, it seems a little mean to write them off before the season starts doesn't it?
Old 11 Nov 2001, 09:00 (Ref:173167)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't kid yourself, I reckon Proton will be able to race the Vauxhalls and MGs. Did you see where the cars are being built?? New Zealand!! Then the team will be based both in Malaysia and the UK. And they've got somebody that used to work for TWR as well. I reckon the Proton budget will be one of the biggest in the BTCC - isn't the money coming from Proton HQ instead of Proton GB??
Old 11 Nov 2001, 09:03 (Ref:173171)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I believe so, and with sponsorship from Petronas as well, could be a good team to watch!
Old 11 Nov 2001, 11:36 (Ref:173218)   #21
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Yes Proton will be based in both UK and Malaysia. They are also closing their South African Opel team and moving the engineers to the UK to work on the new car. As I recall the South African team was fairly successful and it's all SP+ type regs.
Old 11 Nov 2001, 11:46 (Ref:173220)   #22
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
They certainly not cutting any corners. That'll should improve their image. www.teampetronas.com is their website if anyones interested.
Old 11 Nov 2001, 14:45 (Ref:173264)   #23
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong but weren't or arn't Proton heavily financed by the Malaysian Goverment??
Old 11 Nov 2001, 14:49 (Ref:173265)   #24
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Oh and another thing they carn't seriously be thinking of calling the thing a Waja can they.

P.S. Sorry if this has gone of the Subject a bit, but maybe Plato will get a go with a Waja next year
Old 11 Nov 2001, 15:53 (Ref:173277)   #25
AlrightTreacle?
Rookie

AlrightTreacle? should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie_harasym
Shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong but weren't or arn't Proton heavily financed by the Malaysian Goverment??
So? That's not a crime is it?