Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jan 2003, 13:24 (Ref:466304)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wilson Investors slow on the uptake...

From pitpass.com

It's reported that 'take up' on Justin Wilson's offer to sell a stake in his future is happening but rather slower than anticipated. As a result, it's understood that his father is considering selling his business to fund Justin's F1 drive with Minardi.
According to British tabloid The News of the World, Keith Wilson owns a petrol station and garage which he is prepared to sell to fund his boy's future.

"We have had a couple of sponsors during my career but nothing significant," said Justin. "And it is impossible to raise the funds you need.

"There was a time about three years ago when we thought we just could not carry on because we needed £300,000 to go racing," added the Sheffield born star. "Dad considered selling the petrol station then. Now, if the worst comes to the worst, he would do it."

At a time when competition for the two remaining seat is running 'white hot', Wilson is keen to assure Minardi boss Paul Stoddart that the cash will be forthcoming: "My dad is prepared to go a long way and he has always said he will do whatever it takes," said the youngster. "I do not have any problems paying Paul."

It's understood that Mr Wilson also owns a solvents company called Solvents for Safety, valued at around £7m, while the garage is worth closer to £1m.

Meanwhile it's reported that former Minardi driver Anthony Davidson has said that the decision to pay for Wilson's Minardi drive is "crazy", and that Justin's father would be better off spending the money on a gambling spree in Las Vegas.

According to sources, despite some serious interest in Wilson, nobody has actually committed any money. There are reports that one or two investors have offered up to £100,000 while many race fans are said to be keen on stakes as small as £100, but no cash has apparently changed hands.

A few years back Nick Wirth had similar problems with 'tyre kickers' whilst trying to raise money for his beleaguered Simtek outfit.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 13:44 (Ref:466326)   #2
TTT

Excuse me, I know that this is a very serious subject and don't want to "hijack" it, but when the champion of the so-called "feeder formula" for F1 is ignored for a year and then told to stump up couple of million to drive for a very slow team, how can ANYONE say that the best drivers race in F1 and that the champion is the world's best driver? Clearly the word "talented" is used very loosely in motor racing, it is often used to describe those with average driving skill but above average ability to pay large amounts of cash into the team owners' bank account.

Old 7 Jan 2003, 14:34 (Ref:466360)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TTT
...how can ANYONE say that the best drivers race in F1 and that the champion is the world's best driver? Clearly the word "talented" is used very loosely in motor racing, it is often used to describe those with average driving skill but above average ability to pay large amounts of cash into the team owners' bank account.
Is there no thread that can't be twisted (within one reply and twenty minutes!) into a knock the champion thread! I like coming here, but this is getting ridiculous.

To stay on-topic, of course money and success are linked in F1. Of course drivers end up needing personal sponsors to get somewhere. Money is how we measure things out in the western world. What's new?
Old 7 Jan 2003, 16:55 (Ref:466442)   #4
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey.........i asked Mrs Sato san the other night if i could invest a few hundred quid in Justin.....i think i got the nodd... !

i know its not a lot , but im up for it !.......i think its a shame that its come to this , and i cant say i think its right , but Justin deserves his chance , and i hope people ( rich people ) get behind him .

Last edited by Sato san; 7 Jan 2003 at 17:01.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 17:11 (Ref:466453)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by TTT
Excuse me, I know that this is a very serious subject and don't want to "hijack" it, but when the champion of the so-called "feeder formula" for F1 is ignored for a year and then told to stump up couple of million to drive for a very slow team, how can ANYONE say that the best drivers race in F1
Alot of people rate Mark Webber and Justin beat him to the F3000 championship. Webber is a good driver, but he got a luckier break earlier than Wilson, Webber went to Minardi, drove very well and is going to reap the benefits now with a bigger team, Justin can also do this. Don't forget that Fisichella, a highly respected driver got his break with Minardi, which was funded somehow by sponsers and a certain Michael Schumacher had his first oppertunity in a Jordan, which was not a top team and the drive was paid for by Mercades.

Just because these guys need funding to help them get a chance doesn't mean that they are not good drivers also.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 22:02 (Ref:466732)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Also has to be pointed out that M Schu was bloody terrible in his first 3 years in F1, you should see how many spins he had in 1993.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 22:14 (Ref:466747)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
bloody hell, is the media doom-mongering already??? can they not give it a break?
Old 8 Jan 2003, 00:04 (Ref:466874)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
bloody hell, is the media doom-mongering already??? can they not give it a break?
Bella, you should know by now that the British media puts it's sportspersons up as the next big thing just to give themselves a story when that might not be acheived.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 00:24 (Ref:466898)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ok, i appreciate that him not having the money despite all the fanfare is a good story, but please, he's the best hope we've got (better than that $%"" david coulthard anyway).
Old 8 Jan 2003, 01:45 (Ref:466956)   #10
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just cant believe major British companies are not investing in a driver managed by Dr Palmer. This situation has such echoes of Jonathans own struggle to get a start in F1 with RAM etc

Heres a thought why doesnt JP start the ball rolling by making a large public donation from his own personal fortune? I mean what better way of showing you endorse your own product than by investing your own money. It might just convince others.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 03:23 (Ref:466996)   #11
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no way in the WORLD i would ever invest in justin wilson *the way he's doing it*.After all-who wants to be part of formula none?!!
By my counting nearly half the grid are in thier seats for primary reasons other than them being the best possible driver available.Justin is better off forgetting the abortion that is f1 at the moment and just doing some REAL racing somewhere else.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 04:04 (Ref:467009)   #12
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's great that Justin's dad is willing to sell off his business to pay Stoddart. Shows just how much his dad have confidence and believes in him..... i would if i'm in the same position
Old 8 Jan 2003, 04:23 (Ref:467010)   #13
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And if it's true that the Ant said these 'Meanwhile it's reported that former Minardi driver Anthony Davidson has said that the decision to pay for Wilson's Minardi drive is "crazy", and that Justin's father would be better off spending the money on a gambling spree in Las Vegas.' then he dosen't know anything about the qualities of fatherhood.

Justin would certainly be on my list of drivers to watch and follow this season and i wish him all the best!
Old 8 Jan 2003, 08:06 (Ref:467060)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ghinzani
Heres a thought why doesnt JP start the ball rolling by making a large public donation from his own personal fortune? I mean what better way of showing you endorse your own product than by investing your own money. It might just convince others.
I believe the money required by Minardi is underwritten by both Keith Wilson and Jonathan Palmer - so he will dip into his pocket if required, and to be fair he has backed him financially in F3000 as well.