Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Nov 2020, 19:17 (Ref:4014381)   #101
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
That's not entirely sure.
He had 28.437 on Bottas just before VSC was announced, and his pitstop took 30.382 all in (2.9 for the stop itself).
Sure, he covered the some distance during those 30 seconds, but still; there would not have been much left, if anything.

I realize without VSC he could have carried on for a lap (or 2, or 3) to make sure he would have had plenty of time.
If he had a 28.437 second lead over Bottas and the stop took 30 seconds, he should have come out behind Bottas.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 19:21 (Ref:4014383)   #102
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
That's not entirely sure.
He had 28.437 on Bottas just before VSC was announced, and his pitstop took 30.382 all in (2.9 for the stop itself).
Thank you for the actual numbers!

I was going by the rough numbers being discussed by the Sky commentators, who were saying he needed about 26-27secs to have a chance of coming out ahead.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 19:22 (Ref:4014384)   #103
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If he had a 28.437 second lead over Bottas and the stop took 30 seconds, he should have come out behind Bottas.
No because for most or all of those 30 secs Bottas was under FCY.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 19:25 (Ref:4014386)   #104
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
No because for most or all of those 30 secs Bottas was under FCY.
Of course, that 30 second VSC. Location checks out.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 20:48 (Ref:4014399)   #105
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Adam is being sarcastic.

I've never known Adam ever do that before. This really has been a year of firsts......
Old 1 Nov 2020, 20:56 (Ref:4014406)   #106
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
F1 is now at the stage were unless the Mercedes hit problems no one else stands a chance, yes they are the best team have a great car and good drivers but the sport needs competition, the track obviously did not make overtaking easy but several good overtakes further down the field make you wonder how good the racing could be if the Mercedes were not quite so good
Old 1 Nov 2020, 21:04 (Ref:4014412)   #107
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It looks a bit closer when Verstappen really pushes the Red Bull hard,but realistically it has become a Mercedes led series.At least there is some racing among the rest and it was amusing to see Vettel and Raikkonen running 4th and 5th for a while.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 11:53 (Ref:4014522)   #108
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Ferraris decision making is much easier. If the driver is doing well (finally Vettel manages to not make an arse of himself) then they should sabotage it to the best of their abilities.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 12:11 (Ref:4014526)   #109
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Let Bottas make the strategy calls he wants. Let him try to out think Lewis (because he will never, ever out race him over a season). He'll almost certainly still lose, but it will be completely organic. Right now, Mercedes internal politics dictate things too much. They are allowed to complete for wins. With the asterix of it must be within the rules of the internal politics at Mercedes too. I want to see Bottas be allowed to challenge more with mad strat calls - and I want to Lewis react to them and cement the GOAT status further.
I know I'm an idealist and it isn't going to happen, but:

I would love to see every driver given freedom to run the strategy he wants (well, the driver/race engineer partnership wants). Race engineers should be advised by strategists, etc, but leave the decisions to just them. The only rigid input from the team would be a simple rule to stop them pitting at the same time, or at least the second car would have to accept being stacked.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 14:23 (Ref:4014551)   #110
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I know I'm an idealist and it isn't going to happen, but:

I would love to see every driver given freedom to run the strategy he wants (well, the driver/race engineer partnership wants). Race engineers should be advised by strategists, etc, but leave the decisions to just them. The only rigid input from the team would be a simple rule to stop them pitting at the same time, or at least the second car would have to accept being stacked.
Me too, but i think the fans have forced this situation.

When a team wants to be fair they also fall into the trap of wanting to be seen to be fair. And here fair gets interpreted as “the same”. Trying to then also take this and maximize opportunity to win leads to what we have.

If the team did as you said, which would be great, then imagine the fan outrage when it didn’t go the way of the weaker driver. And it is more likely to work in favor of the better driver, because, well, they are better.

Which is the one good thing about Ferrari’s approach in the 2000s. At least they just did what they did and didn’t tie themselves in knots trying to be fair and perceived to be fair. While I was never a fan of their approach and preferred McLaren’s approach I was happy to defend that they can do what they like.

I think the fans should grow up a bit and not get into a tizzy when the driver they like better comes of worse in these situations. Then perhaps we can allow these teams to go racing.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 14:25 (Ref:4014552)   #111
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh, one slight development of your suggestion. The team might occasionally have to manage a situation where drivers choosing their strategy may be to the detriment to the overall team result. They’d have to consider that.

Which for the fan would add an extra dimension, as long as the fan doesn’t get all in a tizzy when it doesn’t work out the way they would like.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 17:30 (Ref:4014574)   #112
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

I think the fans should grow up a bit and not get into a tizzy when the driver they like better comes of worse in these situations. Then perhaps we can allow these teams to go racing.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 17:41 (Ref:4014581)   #113
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Oh, one slight development of your suggestion. The team might occasionally have to manage a situation where drivers choosing their strategy may be to the detriment to the overall team result. They’d have to consider that.
One of the Autosport reports emphasises this: Mercedes' overwhelming priority is the constructors championship and scoring 1-2s. This reminded me of the last race in 2016 when Hamilton backed up the pack and Rosberg and was told to stop it by the team despite the constructors' title and a 1-2 in the championship being guaranteed, because Hamilton was jeopardising the race 1-2.

I suspect they'd do that particular incident differently now, but the point Autosport make was that Hamilton was given the alternative strategy in Imola in order to get him ahead of Verstappen. That's a dyanmic which wasn't present in Portimao, when the strategy call was just between the two Mercs.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 20:18 (Ref:4014613)   #114
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Enjoyed the race - only real downside to me was the aero wash problem, which isn't the circuit's flaw of course.

Like others, I'd love to see more Grands Prix at circuits like this and less at a Blandring in Biddlonia.

Was quite an amazing race from a fortune (or luck) point of view I thought - Gasly's engine issue, Max's tyre as just a couple of examples. I suspect that Hamilton could have won the race without the virtual SC but that certainly robbed us of what was looking to be a very close situation after his pit stop - massive anti-climax after his alternative strategy and banzai laps looked like they'd delivered him arriving on track right where the two (at the time) effective leaders were.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 20:24 (Ref:4014615)   #115
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
One of the Autosport reports emphasises this: Mercedes' overwhelming priority is the constructors championship and scoring 1-2s. This reminded me of the last race in 2016 when Hamilton backed up the pack and Rosberg and was told to stop it by the team despite the constructors' title and a 1-2 in the championship being guaranteed, because Hamilton was jeopardising the race 1-2.

I suspect they'd do that particular incident differently now, but the point Autosport make was that Hamilton was given the alternative strategy in Imola in order to get him ahead of Verstappen. That's a dyanmic which wasn't present in Portimao, when the strategy call was just between the two Mercs.
And, of course, the team has to make a call at the time.

I suspect this is where the team “favor” Hamilton. There are situations where they have to maximise what they’ve got and consciously or sub-consciously they know that they can try somethings with Hamilton rather than Bottas.

Then consider outcome bias with regard to how it is viewed afterwards, there are somethings that might have a 50:50 outcome for Bottas, but it becomes 70:30 for Hamilton. Or similar.
Old 3 Nov 2020, 01:40 (Ref:4014644)   #116
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
I really don't relate to the general ebb and flow of conversation itt. The defence justification of MB's favourtism of Hamilton, and his fortune off the back of random moments that have nothing to do with him.

The exchange between chillibowl and ascarracing attempting to downplay the significance of the VSC on p3. Then you've got Adan's sarcasm on p5, and his attempt to add doubt on MB's favouritism of Hamilton just above.

The evidence that MB favour Hamilton is building and building. I wonder what would have to occur for those who defend or justify such favouritism to acknowledge such favourtism occurs?

No chat on how pitting under VSC allows and unreasonable advantage or how it distorts the progression of the race.
Old 3 Nov 2020, 01:55 (Ref:4014645)   #117
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
It’s simple really. Leader has preference on strategy and tyre....more often than not its Lewis. That works if it’s 1-2....when you’re trying to get your second car ahead of a competitor you do everything you can to do so.

At the end of the day, as always both Mercedes are on the same tyres...it’s just that Hamilton can make them last longer which engineers him an advantage.
You'd hope so. The car is designed around him.

Quote:
So they needed 26.5 seconds over Verstappen, and had 28, but waited until it was 27 over Bottas? Are they allowed to change strart, just not tyre? Doesn't seem that simple?

If I was Bottas I'd collect the pay cheque for a wee while and accept the reality of these decisions and go off elsewhere later lol.
Dare I say that deep down he's been doing it for a number of years.

Reading your posts overall, I'm not quite sure of your of your stance on Bottas. In your other posts you seem to dismiss him as though he's some plodding touring car journeyman. To allow alternative strategies like you been suggesting says to me that he is being affected by MB unfavourable pit strategies as is therefore not that bad, and even quite close to Hamilton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Can Bottas take it to his team mate here?

If he cant then surely the debate on whether or not Merc should treat Bottas as equal is over?
The debate is over, but there wasn't one to begin with
Old 3 Nov 2020, 02:02 (Ref:4014646)   #118
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I’m not trying to defend anything. Mercedes could favor Hamilton as Ferrari did with Schumacher if they wished. I’m just saying they don’t to the extreme suggested by some above and they are pretty fair considering.

I see it much more like the Hakkinen and Coulthard situation than the Schumacher and Irvine/Barichello/Massa situation. There are clearly degrees here. What is meant by “favored”. I’m sure Toto will look back with more fondness on the driver that has won fourth eight championships for them.

In addition, I am also making the point that even if everything was perfectly fair then it would appear to not be, especially when one driver was stronger than the other.

I’m also not interested in arguing, but am interested in discussing and hearing others views, especially if it can be done in a friendly light hearted and occasionally humorous way. Although I accept I fail at humor often.
Old 3 Nov 2020, 02:13 (Ref:4014648)   #119
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry if I've missed this, but is it known if Bottas was refused the chance to go onto the softer tyre in Portimão? On the radio, we heard him say "maybe we could try the softs", which didn't sound too decisive, possibly the precursor to a discussion with his race engineer, rather than an outright strategy call.
Old 3 Nov 2020, 02:28 (Ref:4014653)   #120
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
IIRC they did refuse wouldn’t “fair”

Edit: here is Merc’s “rationale”: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...se-gp/4899057/
Old 3 Nov 2020, 11:45 (Ref:4014710)   #121
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
We're bang on the same wavelength, Adam. With respect to your comments about Ferrari and Schumacher, I do understand that teams will favour a driver in order to help him to a World Championship, because that will be more prestige even for the team than winning the Manufacturers WC. I can accept that in small doses, although to be honest I don't think Mercedes are doing that now, nor have they done it for a few years. It was the way Ferrari handled it back in the Schumacher years that stuck in my craw.