Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Oct 2020, 18:15 (Ref:4012253)   #26
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I think Verstappen rather frequent outburst's (today: to Sainz, later to Stroll) and his "I don't care if it offends. Not my problem" are a bigger problem.

He really needs to calm down a bit. Hamilton did that too, waaay back. But he learned from that and now is much less vocal on the radio, except for slow Safety Cars
It’s not like he’s a newbie learning the ropes. How many years has he had to learn that lesson now?

I like Max, amazing talent but the boy needs to use a ball gag at times
Old 23 Oct 2020, 19:19 (Ref:4012261)   #27
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm getting a little weary of the constant trickle of warnings about track limits.Just build Armco barriers at the side of the track as in Monaco and let the drivers deal with them.
Old 23 Oct 2020, 19:51 (Ref:4012267)   #28
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I'm getting a little weary of the constant trickle of warnings about track limits.Just build Armco barriers at the side of the track as in Monaco and let the drivers deal with them.

Glad I’m not the only one then
Old 23 Oct 2020, 20:59 (Ref:4012274)   #29
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm just going to say "there aren't only _F1_ _cars_ that race on these tracks" and leave that there, because it's a discussion we've been having for > 10 years already.

Circuit safety, in the end, is far more important than being bored of warnings.
Old 23 Oct 2020, 21:03 (Ref:4012276)   #30
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We were tired of drivers not respecting track limits. Now we are tired of those who run the races trying to enforce track limits.

Richard
Old 23 Oct 2020, 21:17 (Ref:4012279)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And then wait for the endless complaints about processional racing with no overtaking?
Old 23 Oct 2020, 22:48 (Ref:4012283)   #32
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can think of quite a few times where lap times have been deleted in quali and a couple of times where warnings have resulted in penalties during the race...i thought they have been doing a good job of it this year.

Anything more then that and its bad in the other direction?
Old 24 Oct 2020, 00:00 (Ref:4012289)   #33
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Regardless of anything else, I think it's great that we have F1 at Portimao as well as Mugello and Imola and Nurburgring this year - they are the silver linings in the Covid cloud.

Yes, the new surface is making it harder but it won't be new for long and what a fantastic circuit to drive (& watch) F1 cars. Sure, overtaking won't be easy but I'd much prefer circuits like this than some of the other bland stuff we get served up with.

Good call to come to places like this and I'm looking forward to BR's intro for this one.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 09:02 (Ref:4012338)   #34
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You don't need walls. ELMS and Le Mans Cup work just fine here. Eduardo Freitas is on the race directors team this weekend. And now track limits is a huge issue. Eduardo doesn't put up with nonsense.

Worlds greatest drivers should learn to drive within the white lines. That's the long and short of it.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 09:35 (Ref:4012343)   #35
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s a good job we didn’t have this track limits nonsense at the 1979 French GP
Old 24 Oct 2020, 09:56 (Ref:4012346)   #36
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It’s a good job we didn’t have this track limits nonsense at the 1979 French GP
Can you elaborate on why imposing track limits would have been an issue at that event?
Old 24 Oct 2020, 09:59 (Ref:4012347)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

Maybe you need to look up the famous battle at that race
Old 24 Oct 2020, 10:03 (Ref:4012348)   #38
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont understand, the "experts" were saying "oh they didnt get enough running in P2, this will be an interesting race". Then when the track opens for P3 most cars stay in the pits, the rest do 1 lap then pit. Youd think they would want as much track time as you can get at a new track.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 10:08 (Ref:4012349)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
You don't need walls. ELMS and Le Mans Cup work just fine here. Eduardo Freitas is on the race directors team this weekend. And now track limits is a huge issue. Eduardo doesn't put up with nonsense.

Worlds greatest drivers should learn to drive within the white lines. That's the long and short of it.
That's great news having Eduardo involved. They don't get any better.....
Old 24 Oct 2020, 10:30 (Ref:4012357)   #40
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The drivers complained so the limits were changed and now they are going over the new limits, of course its expected that they will use the maximum that they can get away with but it still seems ridiculous.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 11:13 (Ref:4012360)   #41
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Maybe you need to look up the famous battle at that race
I’m aware of the battle. Just wondering what the link is between that battle and track limits being imposed in Portugal?
Old 24 Oct 2020, 12:00 (Ref:4012365)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

Because Villeneuve and Arnoux went off the track a few times and Dijon used tarmac runoff, but no one seemed to bat an eyelid
Old 24 Oct 2020, 12:22 (Ref:4012369)   #43
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Because Villeneuve and Arnoux went off the track a few times and Dijon used tarmac runoff, but no one seemed to bat an eyelid
Right, understood.
I guess that shows how much the sport has moved on 41 years. It just seemed a strange reference point to compare 2020 regulations with....
Old 24 Oct 2020, 12:39 (Ref:4012375)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And interesting analogy that ignores the current circuit designs. Back in the day run offs were minimal, as can be seen in the referenced clip hence the reason why it is lauded. These days there is far more space and thus run offs are larger and less threatening.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 12:49 (Ref:4012376)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
And interesting analogy that ignores the current circuit designs. Back in the day run offs were minimal, as can be seen in the referenced clip hence the reason why it is lauded. These days there is far more space and thus run offs are larger and less threatening.
Why not reduce the size of the run offs and make them a bit more threatening?
Old 24 Oct 2020, 12:53 (Ref:4012379)   #46
S griffin
Veteran

And that’s the main problem, you give drivers that extra space, they are going to push harder knowing they can get away with, especially in practice. And it’s no wonder they don’t respect track limits knowing they can continue if they make a mistake. It just shows how ridiculous it’s become that track limit violations are a given at nearly all circuits
Old 24 Oct 2020, 12:57 (Ref:4012381)   #47
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 30 minutes delay
Old 24 Oct 2020, 13:02 (Ref:4012382)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
A 30 minutes delay
Something to do with a drain cover coming loose, at Turn 5.

Edit: Sorry at Turn 14, I don't know why I thought it was Turn 5.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 24 Oct 2020 at 13:08.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 13:04 (Ref:4012383)   #49
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Something to do with a drain cover coming loose, at Turn 5.
Seb ran over a drain and it broke and popped out. They're welding other covers now.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 13:08 (Ref:4012384)   #50
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whether its the drivers crashing in practice or looking for the limits and or delays because of fixing this or that...its refreshing to be reminded that this is not always a clinical thing.

Not even quali and we are a couple of pages into this thread!

Its fun going to new places when you are not allowed to go to new places.