Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 26 Aug 2004, 19:59 (Ref:1078450)   #1
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Artist: Arthur Benjamins

Have a fantastic print of Villenuve and Arnoux wheelbanging at Dijon in 1979 by Arthur Benjamins.

Anyone know if he still paints etc? He released (well someone did) about 10 of his prints in the mid 90's and they were all excellent,,,,then nothing
Old 26 Aug 2004, 20:23 (Ref:1078479)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Arthur did release some great work.
Unusually, he painted in enamels to give vibrant colours but I'm not so sure how 'light fast' they would be. I would like to see some of his 80s works to see how they have fared.
I last saw him at the Silverstone historic festival art exhibition in 2001. We had stands next to each other and had a lot of time to chat. He seemed a bit dis-illusioned and bored by it all and had changed his style to be a bit more impressionist, as had artist Simon Taylor who I also have not seen since then. Have not seen anything new by either of them. Arthur's publishing company was IIRC Bluebird productions. Perhaps there is something on the net - new stuff in other fields?
Old 7 Sep 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1088939)   #3
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
The Bluebird Cafe has a couple of his prints up for sale of Bluebird on Coniston, including that magical head on view he did.

I have a Benjamins of Villeneuve in a 126C2 sideways on the grass...

8^)

Sad to hear he's moved on.

Tim
Old 25 May 2008, 20:06 (Ref:2211683)   #4
rotterdam1953
Rookie

Netherlands
rotterdam1953 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy, despite what you may hear...I'm still about...as big and ugly as ever ;-)
Glad you like my work,

Arthur Benjamins
Old 27 May 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2212978)   #5
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I am SO pleased you are still about...
Funnily enough, I have a signed print of Villeneuve/Arnoux on the wall that was being talked about this morning!

Many thanks for some great pictures.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2230430)   #6
rotterdam1953
Rookie

Netherlands
Enamel paints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Arthur did release some great work.
Unusually, he painted in enamels to give vibrant colours but I'm not so sure how 'light fast' they would be.
Andy, The worries you profess about my enamel paints are totally unfounded, they are the hardiest of materials and far more lasting than any of the other, more 'traditional' painting materials about.
My paintings that have been hanging in heavily smoked places are always cleaned with liberal application of soap and water and come out looking like new!!!
Try that with gouache or any other materials!

Arthur
Old 17 Jun 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2231262)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In that case I'll have to try enamels at some point Arthur. Great vibrant colours, thanks for the input. Do you use them on your new work? I'm still mostly with acrylics, sometimes oils, have not used gouache for many years.
Old 27 Jun 2008, 22:46 (Ref:2239027)   #8
rotterdam1953
Rookie

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
In that case I'll have to try enamels at some point Arthur. Great vibrant colours, thanks for the input. Do you use them on your new work? I'm still mostly with acrylics, sometimes oils, have not used gouache for many years.
I remember the look on Michael Turner's face when I told him the medium I use. He confessed to never having used them on a painting before and who can blame him? It took me many years to understand that medium and I'm still learning. I still use enamels but I've augmented that with other, more solid paints that compliment each other perfectly.
Old 28 Jun 2008, 13:23 (Ref:2239258)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Arthur.

Although I'm not at liberty to access the site, am I right in thinking your handle comes from the discovery of the Rubens paintings as described in the link?

http://www.jstor.org/pss/876366

No problem just interested really.
Old 28 Jun 2008, 22:45 (Ref:2239449)   #10
rotterdam1953
Rookie

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Arthur.

Although I'm not at liberty to access the site, am I right in thinking your handle comes from the discovery of the Rubens paintings as described in the link?

http://www.jstor.org/pss/876366

No problem just interested really.
Peter, if you are referring to my handle as 'Rotterdam1953' than I fear that Rubens has had no influence on any of my works. Although he painted many 'Rubinesque' ladies, my handle merely indicates my place and year of birth.
I went on that link and I was denied access too - not that I'll lose any sleep over that.