Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Sep 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3849234)   #1051
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe they should combine themselves with GT Cup UK ?
Old 10 Sep 2018, 19:18 (Ref:3849250)   #1052
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But... GT spec... y'know.

In other news (and I know it's sacrilege for the touring car forum!) the GT Cup race on Sunday at Donington was brilliant.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 20:30 (Ref:3849261)   #1053
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Nowt wrong with GTs in my book. Happy memories of when there were GTs on the same bill as the Touring Cars. Loved the noise the Vipers and Saleens made in surround sound from the Donington infield!
Old 10 Sep 2018, 21:15 (Ref:3849271)   #1054
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Nowt wrong with GTs in my book. Happy memories of when there were GTs on the same bill as the Touring Cars. Loved the noise the Vipers and Saleens made in surround sound from the Donington infield!
Indeed, nothing wrong with them! I suspect they're built a little more on the robust side compared to the TCR cars though, given that they run rather longer.

There was a 25+ year old Mantis, a Mosler MT900 and a bunch of rather more modern stuff running at the weekend. The Mosler was thunderous
Old 11 Sep 2018, 02:54 (Ref:3849288)   #1055
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
LOL, he's pretty handy I think. Could yet win the TCR UK title, and is going to run the remainder of TCR Europe - a field of more cars than I have fingers!!! - so should get a better balanced view on his abilities from that.
He's been wearing a new groove into Pembrey these past few months doing development work for JAS. They want the championship.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 08:11 (Ref:3849301)   #1056
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
He's been wearing a new groove into Pembrey these past few months doing development work for JAS. They want the championship.
Something will be wrong with the point system if Lloyd doesn't win it, though.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 08:50 (Ref:3849314)   #1057
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's his to lose.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3849352)   #1058
TR4racer
Racer

United Kingdom
London
TR4racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Actually he has been testing under the direction of Josh Files who is the official test driver for JAS
Old 11 Sep 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3849362)   #1059
Umai Naa
Veteran

Yes, working on various new components.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3849485)   #1060
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
But... GT spec... y'know.

In other news (and I know it's sacrilege for the touring car forum!) the GT Cup race on Sunday at Donington was brilliant.
if you remember in the early part of the 00 the FIA GT was combined with the FIA ETCC in the LG Super weekend and it worked really well

fans of GT racing came to see events, fans of touring cars came to see that too and fans of both had wonderful weekends
Old 24 Sep 2018, 06:36 (Ref:3852338)   #1061
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I saw that, in a masterpiece of creative prose , Autosport devoted two whole pages to the Croft TCR race , whilst not mentioning that only eight turned up - or was it seven ? Apparently 'traffic ' was an issue..Yeah, of course it was .
Old 24 Sep 2018, 07:13 (Ref:3852344)   #1062
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I saw that, in a masterpiece of creative prose , Autosport devoted two whole pages to the Croft TCR race , whilst not mentioning that only eight turned up - or was it seven ? Apparently 'traffic ' was an issue..Yeah, of course it was .
😂 Compare that to the fantastic TCR Europe & TCR Germany races we've seen this weekend...
Old 24 Sep 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3852365)   #1063
Umai Naa
Veteran

I love the TCR concept don't get me wrong, but the TCR UK promoter needs to do something different for next year to attract a grid.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 12:10 (Ref:3852380)   #1064
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
I love the TCR concept don't get me wrong, but the TCR UK promoter needs to do something different for next year to attract a grid.
So do I, but - as we all predicted - there just isn't a need for a TCR series in the UK. Both the Clio Cup and Mini Challenge are much better alternatives at that level.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 17:14 (Ref:3852434)   #1065
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
That'll be all those pesky Yorkshire free range sheep cluttering up the lanes 😁
Old 24 Sep 2018, 18:45 (Ref:3852457)   #1066
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
So do I, but - as we all predicted - there just isn't a need for a TCR series in the UK. Both the Clio Cup and Mini Challenge are much better alternatives at that level.
and that’s exactly the problem. there are too many other very well established, well run, much higher profile and cheaper championships that already cater to the same market. TCR UK will drown under those waves.

evidenced by the fact that they have less cars now than they did at the beginning of the year. so competitors have now seen it and actually have increasingly stayed away from it.
Old 26 Sep 2018, 21:02 (Ref:3852860)   #1067
jungle_007
Rookie

jungle_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news on Donington car count?
Old 27 Sep 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3852963)   #1068
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Not heard any whispers, so would guess the same as last time out at Croft...
Old 27 Sep 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3852986)   #1069
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem for TCR UK is...

A race winning Clio with spares package, setup data for UK circuits, lots of people with knowledge of repairing and running the cars, hundreds of drivers with knowledge of racing them and a brilliant live TV package. UKDM parts so easy and cheap to repair panels (comparatively, brightwork mirrors etc)

Trades at roughly £25-35k used.

The average TCR car with few spares, no running knowledge, few teams knowing how to set them up for UK circuits, fewer drivers knowing how to instruct on driving them. Non UKDM parts in most cases (see Darelle Wilson sitting out rounds trying to source a LHD steering rack). Coverage is Internet streams.

For £75k-£95k used.

It just seems you pay mega money for a product that delivers so much less in most areas. I know of one team who own a car from other activities and watched this year with great interest but have probably resolved their decision not to take the plunge.
Old 27 Sep 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3853028)   #1070
TR4racer
Racer

United Kingdom
London
TR4racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
The problem for TCR UK is...

A race winning Clio with spares package, setup data for UK circuits, lots of people with knowledge of repairing and running the cars, hundreds of drivers with knowledge of racing them and a brilliant live TV package. UKDM parts so easy and cheap to repair panels (comparatively, brightwork mirrors etc)

Trades at roughly £25-35k used.

The average TCR car with few spares, no running knowledge, few teams knowing how to set them up for UK circuits, fewer drivers knowing how to instruct on driving them. Non UKDM parts in most cases (see Darelle Wilson sitting out rounds trying to source a LHD steering rack). Coverage is Internet streams.

For £75k-£95k used.

It just seems you pay mega money for a product that delivers so much less in most areas. I know of one team who own a car from other activities and watched this year with great interest but have probably resolved their decision not to take the plunge.
Hmm, i have personal been experience of running both and your numbers are wrong. If you want to run at the front in Clio’s then the budget is closer to TCR money. If you want to move up from Clio’s then TCR is way cheaper than BTCC.
Old 27 Sep 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3853030)   #1071
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4racer View Post
Hmm, i have personal been experience of running both and your numbers are wrong. If you want to run at the front in Clio’s then the budget is closer to TCR money. If you want to move up from Clio’s then TCR is way cheaper than BTCC.
TCR is fine if you don’t have any sponsors or if they don’t care about the size of tv audiences or number of spectators or exposure or vibe of being at a ‘big’ event.

as the saying goes ‘you get what you pay for’.
Old 27 Sep 2018, 20:19 (Ref:3853037)   #1072
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The thing is, TCR is (or is trying to be) the defacto standard for touring car racing. Clio cup is a feeder series for cars like BTCC and TCR, so the fact that Clio cars are cheaper isn't any surprise.
Old 27 Sep 2018, 21:14 (Ref:3853046)   #1073
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Cheaper, more of 'em, a higher average driving standard, and more entertaining...

Be interesting to see how the current argy bargy in STCC pans out, appears as though the TCR rule writers have made a massive arse of things.
Old 28 Sep 2018, 13:48 (Ref:3853132)   #1074
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4racer View Post
If you want to move up from Clio’s then TCR is way cheaper than BTCC.
The problem is that as it stands UKTCR is not "up" from Clios.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3854343)   #1075
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Carl Swift confirmed for the final weekend at Donington.

" looking forward to Donington Park and the chance to build on the progress that we’d made at Oulton but were unable to demonstrate thanks to the accident. I also really like Donington as it’s my home track and the car should go well there; it’s the kind of track that should suit the VAG cars.

“I’m shaking the car down at Silverstone later this week and so we’ll see how that goes. Of course, what I really need is for anyone who needs a mortgage to come and see me at Donington so I can keep on racing!”