Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Aug 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3846856)   #226
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Anyone watch the Misano night races? They showed the races on Freesport, although I only saw the second race. Great savvy by those who stayed out on wets, but especially Eriksson for starting on slicks, then switching to wets. And well done Zanardi for coming 5th
I recorded both races, but am yet to get round to watching them! Will try this evening (if I can wrestle the TV remote off the missus).

Interesting to see that Audi are committed for next year, but look doubtful for 2020 onwards if a third manufacturer cannot be found:

https://www.motorsport.com/dtm/news/...167263/?nrt=45
Old 29 Aug 2018, 17:15 (Ref:3846923)   #227
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's quite understandable, however what seems strange is why bother with new engine and car just to withdraw after a year? This may mean that either factory-supported private entry is on cards for 2020 or Aston's entrance is almost sure.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 22:40 (Ref:3846987)   #228
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Exactly: why bother with new engine and car just to withdraw after a year? Of course they know Aston Martin is coming in. They are just putting pressure on Berger to speed up with the announcement. There comes a time when the world gets quiet and the only thing left is your own heart. So you'd better learn the sound of it. Otherwise you'll never understand what it's saying...
Old 30 Aug 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3847064)   #229
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I hope so, another manufacturer would be a big boost for the series and they wouldn't waste their budget if they were planning to quit
Old 30 Aug 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3847066)   #230
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the new engines under construction? Because I'm starting to think that they might stick with these car for another season.

For the next year they should build 8 cars each with the new engine to have at least 16 cars on the grid (the minimum accetable for me). Maybe it's better to stick with the current cars without doing anything and add 2 cars each to continue with a 16 car grid.

For the future I'm still a bit negative. The problem is the loss of Mercedes and the persevering with this allineation with Super GT. Has any sense to continue to follow the Class One criteria if no jap manufacturer will join DTM?
Old 30 Aug 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3847070)   #231
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You would hope that one on the Japanese manufacturers committed to joinging if the new engines were introduced.
Old 31 Aug 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3847183)   #232
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
You would hope that one on the Japanese manufacturers committed to joinging if the new engines were introduced.
Or if the regs allowed customer cars would it be possible for privateer teams to run the Japanese cars? So rather than needing a manufacturer to commit to the series you could have a team fielding a Honda, another with a pair of Toyotas etc etc and fill the grid out that way.
Old 31 Aug 2018, 20:37 (Ref:3847306)   #233
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pit Strategy.

Someone please educate me, while catching on the DTM this season after so many years away (I'm up to date now, Misano was pretty eventful), one thing I have not been able to understand is why some teams leave cars out there in front of the pack but behind the safety car when there is no hope in hell of a significant gap being pulled after the restart; it baffles my tiny brain. What on earth are they trying to achieve with that?
Old 2 Sep 2018, 08:31 (Ref:3847539)   #234
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pit is closed then the Safety Car is out.
Old 2 Sep 2018, 19:53 (Ref:3847703)   #235
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Pit is closed then the Safety Car is out.
Thank you, I completely missed that.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3850144)   #236
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Ogier's livery:

Old 15 Sep 2018, 10:51 (Ref:3850303)   #237
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wehrlein splits with Mercedes, meaning he won't be part of any Mercedes-supported FE team (no Venturi, no HWA, no Mercedes factory team in near future) and it probably means it's the end of his F1 chances. I wonder whether it's possible for him to switch to, say BMW and remain part of DTM. BMW and Audi both claim they're uninterested in any Mercedes DTM drivers (which I find silly) but maybe they'll change their minds when it comes to Wehrlein.
Old 15 Sep 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3850364)   #238
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Be interesting to see how Ogier gets on in what must be his first circuit race
Old 15 Sep 2018, 15:37 (Ref:3850367)   #239
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
BMW and Audi both claim they're uninterested in any Mercedes DTM drivers (which I find silly) but maybe they'll change their minds when it comes to Wehrlein.
I don´t see any reason why a team should be interested in Wehrlein.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 07:14 (Ref:3850515)   #240
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Wehrlein splits with Mercedes, meaning he won't be part of any Mercedes-supported FE team (no Venturi, no HWA, no Mercedes factory team in near future) and it probably means it's the end of his F1 chances.
Actually it's rumoured that the Mercedes split might get him a seat at Toro Rosso. As Ocon proves a Mercedes contract sometimes keeps you out of seats rather than in them
Old 16 Sep 2018, 14:54 (Ref:3850676)   #241
NSX_LeMans
Racer

NSX_LeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Be interesting to see how Ogier gets on in what must be his first circuit race
He has done a few already
Old 17 Sep 2018, 07:41 (Ref:3850947)   #242
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Actually it's rumoured that the Mercedes split might get him a seat at Toro Rosso. As Ocon proves a Mercedes contract sometimes keeps you out of seats rather than in them
Yes, now I know that so maybe it's not the end of Wehrlein's chances. Still not a fan of him so whatever
And this Ocon thing is a huge huge shame! But it's different story
Old 19 Sep 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3851453)   #243
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Off-topic but if Mercedes really believe in Ocon (and Wehrlein) they must put him in a Williams.
Old 22 Sep 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3851961)   #244
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know team orders are nothing new but it leaves a bad taste that the guy who was running p4 at the beginning of the last lap ends up wining.
Old 27 Sep 2018, 21:47 (Ref:3853049)   #245
cg7aa
Veteran

Ogier's performance - Was it as expected, did he exceed expectations or under-perform? Discuss.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3853283)   #246
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Ogier's performance - Was it as expected, did he exceed expectations or under-perform? Discuss.
Enough to speed him up to Citroen WRC squad's contract for the next two years.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 10:17 (Ref:3853777)   #247
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know Formula One is bad this year, when you're more excited for the next DTM race than for the next Formula One race. And why not? The 55 minute race format has worked so far, thus DTM races aren't drawn out too much. If there's a "boring" DTM race, it's at least over within an hour. But the on-track product is still closer than F1 and it feels like the DTM's production is slightly better, since they also put a good focus on battles in the midfield, whereas Formula One just likes to show the race leaders.

Of course there are some "traditions" DTM has a hard time shedding, such as team orders. The team orders at the Red Bull Ring may be good for the excitement of the championship, but still bad for the sport. But that's what you get when you have three manufacturers footing the bill. It'd be better for the future if DTM evolved into an IndyCar/Supercars style series, as in the manufacturers only providing cars to the teams. Because I don't know if BMW or Audi want to pump that money into DTM any longer. But the gradual opening towards private teams is a step into the right direction. The series would be even better, if for example a driver from Team Phoenix wouldn't have to wave through a driver from Team Rosberg, but rather fight him on the track.

But overall, DTM has really improved under Gerhard Berger. If Hans-Werner Aufrecht was still in charge, I doubt that we would have even had a 2018 season to talk about. But if DTM keeps the costs stable, brings more opportunities for teams to earn money, then I can see a stable future for DTM. I'd certainly hope so.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 17:58 (Ref:3856818)   #248
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And no comments after the last race. What to say? Merc has destroyed Paffett's career - he was to debut in F1 after his first title. But then no chances outside of DTM (there were one or two outings in marathons). Mortara was happy enough to have something at GT3 rankings at least. Spengler and Green were happy to leave this Merc swamp in favour of wide range activity in other classes. Well, maybe he's happy to have a career like that, changing one show racing for another one with F-E.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3856832)   #249
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
And no comments after the last race...
I really enjoyed race 1. I've said it before but I'll say it again, Rast is a class act. A bit disappointing to see Di Resta having a bit of a lucklustre pair of races. Well done to Gary but I have to say I've never really warmed to him. Nothing against the bloke and as I've already said well done to him but there's something about his attitude. His outburst on the radio after the first race is a case in point, not really necessary to be effing and blinding like that.
Old 15 Oct 2018, 12:52 (Ref:3856935)   #250
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations to Paffett and Mercedes. But for me Rast has been the hero of the season