Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 17 Dec 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1792761)   #1
funformula
Racer

Germany
funformula should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to remove paint from a carbonfibre monocoque?

What is the most effective but careful way to remove the paint from a carbonfibre monocoque?
Shotblasting with sand, glass, dry-ice, ...?
I heard that the Formula 1 teams remove the paint with sandingpaper before respraying the monocoques. The reason for that is the sensitivity of carbonfibre on waterabsorbation.
Does anyone has experience with this?
Old 17 Dec 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1792832)   #2
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DA.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1792939)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
DA.
It may not be the funniest post I have seen but is certainly the most obscure.

Regards

Jim
Old 17 Dec 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1792976)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its a fairly obvious post and quite correct. Use a DA sander for quite some time. F1 teams have one advantage though, they use electrostatic painting so you end up with a lot less paint to take off.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1793040)   #5
trikesrule
Racer

trikesrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have experience with this. Acetone on a rag folded four times won't harm the epoxy and you will end up with a chemically free surface. And it doesn't put stress risers into the surface that sanding does. Will u be repainting or leaving a carbon finish? .........trikes
Old 17 Dec 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1793110)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK; the addition of "sander" gives Google enough to bite on. Why anyone might want to sand a Duck's ---- is still beyond me.

Regards

Jim
Old 18 Dec 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1793833)   #7
funformula
Racer

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikesrule
Have experience with this. Acetone on a rag folded four times won't harm the epoxy and you will end up with a chemically free surface. And it doesn't put stress risers into the surface that sanding does. Will u be repainting or leaving a carbon finish? .........trikes
I don´t want to repaint the car. The carbon is looking fantastic.

My native language isn´t English, what means DA ?
Old 18 Dec 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1793845)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a make of Orbital Sander.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1793846)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikesrule
Have experience with this. Acetone on a rag folded four times won't harm the epoxy and you will end up with a chemically free surface. And it doesn't put stress risers into the surface that sanding do es. Will u be repainting or leaving a carbon finish? .........trikes
But it will take forever if the paint is a 2k,or for those who dont know Thermoplastic.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1793971)   #10
trikesrule
Racer

trikesrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terence could be right. Do u know what sort of paint is on it? ....trikes
Old 18 Dec 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1794090)   #11
funformula
Racer

Germany
The paint job was done properly by professionals, this was documented in an article in a tuning-magazine, so I guess its a 2K paint.
The car is the Reynard 913 which won the 1991 Monaco Formula 3 race with Jörg Müller. The car was repainted in 1993 in white/yellow Opel-Motorsport colours for being displayed in Japan.
If it´s impossible to remove all the paint, I would think about the original blue/yellow colour-scheme.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 02:19 (Ref:1794238)   #12
sereneseven
Rookie

United States
mooresville, NC
sereneseven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've gone through this a few times and I agree to an extent that sanding is a good method...but I also have found that wallnut shell blasting works very well, the key though is to make sure your blaster is trained how to do it since if done incorrectly you can still damage the carbon you have to be very carefull and fight the urge to get greedy.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 12:10 (Ref:1794591)   #13
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the tub is 15 years old I would guess that the resin has cured as much as it ever will and will be completely inert, in which case a proprietary paint stripper based on dichloromethane will not do any harm if used sparingly.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1794879)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
out of interest what integrity tests do you do on a 15 year old tub?

Audi use a film instead of paint on the R10 - could make your life easier next time.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1796029)   #15
funformula
Racer

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
out of interest what integrity tests do you do on a 15 year old tub?
What do you mean with integrity test? Can´t find a translation for that which is making sense for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Audi use a film instead of paint on the R10 - could make your life easier next time.
The nose cover on my car was painted white and additionaly sealed with a white film. This happened back in 1993. Seems that they wanted to make their job 110% perfect.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 08:20 (Ref:1796503)   #16
cnova
Rookie

United States
Chicago
cnova should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was working in CART (1988-1998), we used several different media in a "blasting" process. They were crushed walnut shells, granular corn cob, soda & dry ice. Since meeting the minimum weight requirements were never a problem (we always had to add ballast) the paint shop would use a sandable PPG primer, wet sand it and then shoot the top coat. When they went to strip the top coat, by blasting, they wouldn't direct the nozzle perpendicular to the surface, rather at a ~20 - 40 degree angle to the surface and they would only remove most of the top coat, leaving the primer. They would then remove the rest by sanding.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1798484)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
by integrity I mean to check that the chassis has not aged, that there is no delamination or cracking anywhere in it, there are chassis makers who life tubs. One prominent firm said they do not like having people using their tubs for more than two years without a proper integrity check (which isn't that cheap).

Back on topic does stripping the paint damage the top layer at all? Also does the paint have any effect on the resin?
Old 29 Dec 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1801411)   #18
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Chris Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reynard F3 tub paint removal

I removed years of colour changes on a 893 Reynard using water soluble Nitromors paint remover. there was no carbon or epoxy damage. It took ages as some areas had many coats and colour changes, but the end result was clean bare carbon. I reskinned the bonded and rivetted alloy floor of the tub, but if yours hasn't a full carbon floor be aware Nitromors will slowly corrode the alloy if not washed off properly. Hope this helps.