Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Sep 2010, 20:44 (Ref:2757803)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
British Saloon 2000 Championship

Does anyone have information/pictures/entry lists/results for this championship of the 90s? I have a vague recollection of the National Saloon Car Championship because of the Tamiya radio controlled recreation of the Castrol Honda Civic of Jason Yeomans - was this the same championship or different?

Thanks in advance
Old 12 Sep 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2757957)   #2
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a bit of info about the "Group N" type championships here - http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122021

Going through the mags and collating results, reviews etc is on my "to do" list.

Unfortunately I can't rmember exact years, but at the start of the 90s a ProdSaloon championship changed it's regs to Group N and became the "Esso". This carried on for a bit until it was getting to basically single-make in each class. It was then renamed "saloon 2000" for a year but still with classes. Then it moved to one class with 2l "N+" cars, and evolved into the National Saloon Car Cup which propped up BTCC (one year with an extra BTCC class and then with the whole championship on the same grid).

The Castrol Civics were a team of 6, and were run by Mardi Gras. They were usually quicker than most of the 2000cc cars in the class above! It was intended to be a team to support young drivers and they were chosen on a scholarship basis but, in the first year at least, they had to bring some money themselves; about £10k if i remember correctly. I think the scheme started in '91 and James Thompson was one of their drivers, maybe even won the title.

I'll try and dig out some more info and pin down what it was called in each year.