Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 May 2012, 19:50 (Ref:3072789)   #1
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
RRC 2012

I've decided to start a new thread here, in sports cars subforum, because for ex-RTCC = RRC champ there's one in touring. If I'm wrong moderators can easily make it right.

All in all, Russia has a sportscar championship again. After tough years for economics and autosport there're enough enthusiasts to start it. And there's a great interest in it.

For the first years the base is GT4 and Ferrari and Porsche cup cars + prototypes (!): "Radical", "Lada Revolution" and "Fenix"+ "Ariel Atom".

And 2012 season is very important for "Fenix". This chassis is a FIA CN one, well, let's say, good for national and club racing. If all goes well there'll be enough money to built a "European" version with 2L engine, better chassis and aero.

So, if there's any interest I'll post news on that topic. Maybe even an interview with Fenix's constructors and engineers.
Old 23 May 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3078511)   #2
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The very first race of Open GT (finally it's called that way because there're too many different types of cars at the grid). They use a time handicap calculated after a qualifing. This time lots of drivers were just training during the qualification or their attempts were washed down with some rain. So favorites (Ferrari 430, Alexey Vasiliev and Vladimir Charchijan - rather succesful non professional driver - Ariel Atom, Ilya Kamensky) got almost 5 or 6 minutes of handicap - almost 3 laps in the pits. Well, the pace could help to overcome that gap but the race directors didn't take into account some risk of yellow flags or even a safety car out. And in the middle of a 1 hour race there was a serious crash - Seat Leon smashed one of the MitJets in the braking zone of slow Turn1. So, Vasiliev got 2 or 3 laps down ad couldn't do anything riding slowly after the SC. Touring driver Andrey Radoshnov (Leon) overtook Ruben Shumeev (Atom) in the final corner and took the victory - thanks to a steady and calm driving. Vasiliev/Charchijan finished third.
Next round - at Kazan, where the rid should be more GT-like. TNK has a cup Porsche, some Ferrari drivers are ready to join, as well as drivers from Tatarstan.

Old 24 May 2012, 06:25 (Ref:3078637)   #3
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So this is the flagship 'sportscar' championship in Russia?

That's one mixed up grid on that photo... this is almost as funny looking as some of our hilarious national champs here, with 3-5 car grids
Old 24 May 2012, 07:35 (Ref:3078661)   #4
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
The first step is the most difficult one. We hope there'll be more GTs and no more need to enter MitJets. And, of course, addition of some prototypes, such as Fenix, Lada and Radical.
Old 24 May 2012, 10:07 (Ref:3078735)   #5
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What tracks do they visit?
Old 24 May 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3078754)   #6
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
This year there're no permanent tracks in calendar. Smolensk, Kazan, Nizhnii Novgorod, ADM (Myachkovo), Moscow Raceway, Saint Petersburg. And this helps to organize some GT racing - permanent tracks would be too rough for sportscars like Fenix. New circuits are not pieces of art too, but at least sportsmen have some place for trainings - they ususal suffer from lack of it at European events.
Old 29 May 2012, 16:39 (Ref:3081257)   #7
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Always find it interesting to see the more Unorthodox side of things so please do keep up updated.

Lada Prototype is just FANTASTIC - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibAF14uDtdc
Quote:
I am sorry comrade, I was not able to make the wheels square
Old 29 May 2012, 18:31 (Ref:3081338)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Helgi, thank you for keeping us informed on the Russian motorsport scene, otherwise it would be near impossible for me to follow what is happening with motorsport in Russia. Your posts are greatly appreciated.
Old 30 May 2012, 03:59 (Ref:3081595)   #9
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Also it would be near impossible to know that a Ferrari 458 MitJet car exists! That is fantastic. I wonder if there is a One-77 MitJet as well.
Old 30 May 2012, 07:12 (Ref:3081661)   #10
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
Always find it interesting to see the more Unorthodox side of things so please do keep up updated.

Lada Prototype is just FANTASTIC - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibAF14uDtdc
I've talked to people who actually drove that car and they say it handles like a rally-cross buggy, it has McPherson all 4 corners - a legacy of Supertouring Lada 2110.

Fenix, instead, is a true sportscar, and I hope it gets its 2 generation chassis.

Besides, in the light of the latest FIA-ACO engine rules, there's a possibility that Russian sportscars champ, which can be held by 2014, would be more Orthodox than that in Europe.
Old 30 May 2012, 07:16 (Ref:3081663)   #11
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Helgi, thank you for keeping us informed on the Russian motorsport scene, otherwise it would be near impossible for me to follow what is happening with motorsport in Russia. Your posts are greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your interest! We've got more permanent race tracks and more racing with it. As they say, Russian sponsors are interested in home market, so there's some reason for optimism.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 11:53 (Ref:3085050)   #12
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Second round in Kazan was even worse than the opening event. There where only three cars racing: a F430 Challenge and two Ariel Atoms.
Old 5 Jun 2012, 18:30 (Ref:3085767)   #13
Alex Toropov
Racer

Alex Toropov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hardly surprising
Old 7 Jun 2012, 09:34 (Ref:3086745)   #14
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see that Atom has completly 'standard' aero then? Pandamasque; If you look at the picture of the yellow prototype you can see a DBR9 Mitjet in the background!

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 7 Jun 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3086773)   #15
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Any more info on the MitJet cars? Im quite intrigued having never heard of them before.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3086777)   #16
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
This year there're no permanent tracks in calendar. Smolensk, Kazan, Nizhnii Novgorod, ADM (Myachkovo), Moscow Raceway, Saint Petersburg. And this helps to organize some GT racing - permanent tracks would be too rough for sportscars like Fenix. New circuits are not pieces of art too, but at least sportsmen have some place for trainings - they ususal suffer from lack of it at European events.
Whereabouts is the track in Nizhnii Novgorod? I can see fantastic scope for an almost Pau-esque run (but with somewhat wider roads) in the older town around the Kremlin.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3086810)   #17
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Any more info on the MitJet cars? Im quite intrigued having never heard of them before.
http://www.mitjet-series.com/
Old 7 Jun 2012, 13:31 (Ref:3086874)   #18
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Whereabouts is the track in Nizhnii Novgorod? I can see fantastic scope for an almost Pau-esque run (but with somewhat wider roads) in the older town around the Kremlin.
NRing is a premanent racing circuit about 30km south west from the city centre. There are no street circuit this year – quite opposite what Helgi wrote!
Old 7 Jun 2012, 13:34 (Ref:3086877)   #19
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Quote:
Hallo! Nizhnii Novgorod is about 400 km from Moscow to the east, 6 hours by train, not the best road by car. Photos from the track - http://www.nring.ru/site.aspx?SECTIO...53&IID=2122420.

As for race track round Kremlin in Moscow - there was a idea by Mr.Ecclestone in early 80's. Renault team were somewhere near in 2005. But, to be honest, not the best way to make some racing as the whole Moscow is a big traffic jam even without extra closed roads. I think it goes to Nizhnii too.

PS And yes. GT race at Kazan Ring was a disaster. TNK Porsche was staying in the pits all the week as the team has enormous appetite for pilot's cash. Nobody from locals were ready to enter their cars. There was a hope that time-attack pilots get enough brave to make some laps in real races. But no chance. Awful.

Last edited by helgi; 7 Jun 2012 at 13:42.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 13:40 (Ref:3086880)   #20
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
NRing is a premanent racing circuit about 30km south west from the city centre. There are no street circuit this year – quite opposite what Helgi wrote!
Oh, I see my mistake. I've wrote there'no permanent race tracks instead of temporary. Excuse me.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3086906)   #21
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
Hallo! Nizhnii Novgorod is about 400 km from Moscow to the east, 6 hours by train, not the best road by car. Photos from the track - http://www.nring.ru/site.aspx?SECTIO...53&IID=2122420.

As for race track round Kremlin in Moscow - there was a idea by Mr.Ecclestone in early 80's. Renault team were somewhere near in 2005. But, to be honest, not the best way to make some racing as the whole Moscow is a big traffic jam even without extra closed roads. I think it goes to Nizhnii too.

PS And yes. GT race at Kazan Ring was a disaster. TNK Porsche was staying in the pits all the week as the team has enormous appetite for pilot's cash. Nobody from locals were ready to enter their cars. There was a hope that time-attack pilots get enough brave to make some laps in real races. But no chance. Awful.
I was actually referring to the notion of a street track around Nizhnii Novgorod, where I spent some very good times in 2008 - figure the elevation changes running down to the Volga would be really spectacular. But I guess it's a fair assumption to make that a guy from the UK wouldn't know too much about Russian cities beyond the usual tourist sites!

Hadn't really thought about the chaotic traffic issues - but that is indeed a real stumbling block.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:30 (Ref:3086945)   #22
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Quote:
But I guess it's a fair assumption to make that a guy from the UK wouldn't know too much about Russian cities beyond the usual tourist sites!
In fact, it's a shortcut in my brains as every mention of Kremlin and race track automaticaly "go to" F1 project. It should be not a a good day for posting for me.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 08:31 (Ref:3100117)   #23
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
3rd round and only 3 cars. But, at least, one Radical RS3. Ariel Atom for series promoter Ruben Shumeev and team "Forza" Ferrari instead of Aleksey Vasiliev's one. But the most notable - the pace of Carline Stala in that Radical. She set a new record for 2670m-configuration of the track. In fact she was faster than motorbikes from RSBK (if I've spelled that champ correctly as I don't know what are those letters stand for). But the first place went to Ferrari as Radical has enormous time handicap at pit stop calculated after the first practice.
Old 8 Aug 2012, 01:25 (Ref:3117368)   #24
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last week RRC was Moscow Raceway, GT race win Alexander Skryabin/Alexey Basov, second Ilya Kamensky, third Sergey Ryabov/Kirill Ladygin and fifth Alexey Vasiliev/Vladimir Charchijan.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 17:36 (Ref:3118427)   #25
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation

At last some drivers from Time Attack came. Ferrari Challenge young competitor Alexandr Skryabin took his 500 hp Subaru Impreza. But the most powerful was Maxim Elizarov's Mitsubishi Lancer Evo - 700 hp/ 1050 kg. Unfortunately, it was raining during the race, so the most powerful rearwheel drive cars were sliding.
And again - those time handicaps which were calculated after dry qualifying. Of course, Ferraris and Radical were the fastest and got too much "bonus" minutes for pit-stop.
No wonder that Skryabin's 4wd Subaru appeared to be the fastest on wet track. Kamensky was driving a rally (!) version of Impreza. Kirill Ladygin put Russian Bears BMW 320 on third position.
Report (in Russian) and photos by Alexandr Krechetov - http://www.gp-smak.ru/news/2310.html