Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Jan 2014, 01:27 (Ref:3352675)   #126
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Who will be the commentators for Fox & Ten? As far as I know Cromly is signed to V8 Supercar TV.

Will there be new blood brought in, hope so and with no bias.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 11 Jan 2014, 10:28 (Ref:3352756)   #127
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
Who will be the commentators for Fox & Ten? As far as I know Cromly is signed to V8 Supercar TV.

Will there be new blood brought in, hope so and with no bias.
but on;ly if they say , they are out in the marbles
Old 12 Jan 2014, 02:07 (Ref:3352963)   #128
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 20/twenty cricket is an interesting comparison. Been on pay previously and I'm led to believe was not rating well and not getting big crowds, gone FTA and the ratings and the crowds are bigger.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 04:43 (Ref:3352980)   #129
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Riddle me this. In this day and age of people trying to one-up each other, why would one pay for something that's available for free if there is not a benefit of paying for it?

Foxtel, and FTA, both to have exactly the same content???
Yeah righto.

I hope the deal is all session live on foxtel and FTA only have live races as has been mentioned here.. I for one are happy because a) I already have foxtel and B) us here in WA has always had delayed qualifying.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 22:35 (Ref:3353236)   #130
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell_End View Post
I hope the deal is all session live on foxtel and FTA only have live races as has been mentioned here.. I for one are happy because a) I already have foxtel and B) us here in WA has always had delayed qualifying.
It's already been confirmed that every session will be live on Foxtel. That's the reason for paying.

The concern/question is over the FTA content. Peter McKay has written that his sources are saying the FTA live coverage will be the 'marquee' events and the rest will be on delay. That's been refuted in the articles linked above, but there are no confirmed details other than 'more on FTA'.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 04:22 (Ref:3353288)   #131
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspence View Post
There must be some sort of strategy for the early news on the 2015 deal. I just can't quite work it out.
Sale?
Old 13 Jan 2014, 04:44 (Ref:3353291)   #132
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspence View Post
There must be some sort of strategy for the early news on the 2015 deal. I just can't quite work it out.

V8SA clearly don't have many enforceable clauses on Seven about channel, time etc. Otherwise we would have far more on the main channel. So the risk of them running the product down this year is high. How does that help?

Then we have the future deal, which clearly and logically is going to be far more focused on Fox rather than Ten, otherwise there's no reason for Fox to be pumping so much cash in to the deal. So we have a sense of negativity about the future and the potential audience drop. Who does that help?

There is the potential saviour in the deal - the TEN coverage - but they refuse (can't?) say what the split will be. That just further undermines the potential benefits of the deal.

I'm not sure this was the best course of action for them.
TV deals are usually done and announced 6-12 months ahead of time. But there are (at least) three other reasons for it.

1) A TV deal is not going to remain a secret. Once a deal is done you've only got a couple of days max to announce it before it leaks out. So may as well control the announcement yourself.

2) Morale booster. Given the state of the category at the moment with RECs being handed back and others in doubt, nearly every team struggling to pull full budgets together, confirmation of an improved deal for 2015 gives all of them light at the end of the tunnel and, in some cases, incentive to hang in for 12 more months and reap the rewards next year.

You'd probably never know for sure, but that may be what swayed D'Alberto and Dumbrell to keep going because nobody expected those two to keep going at the Sydney 500.

3) Advertises that V8s is worth investing in. Other than the REC revenue drying up, the uncertainty over the TV deal right when many teams were trying to renew or sign new sponsorship deals was the biggest problem with the current deal. With it locked in 12 months ahead (albeit, with some unknown details) teams can use the extra lead time to get commercial support and plan ahead.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 07:23 (Ref:3353725)   #133
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Going from live to delayed doesn't really bother me because i rarely watch live. I prefer to record and watch later, that way i can fast forward Matthew White's solo segments or any thing with Tom Williams or any network celebrity who is having "my first time at the V8s but i'm really enjoying it." I can also fast forward through any pre-recorded clip that has already been shown at least once that weekend.

I save myself heaps of time and some aggro by doing this and it allows me to watch at night. In the daytime, I'm working in the shed, not watching TV.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 08:26 (Ref:3353734)   #134
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
Going from live to delayed doesn't really bother me because i rarely watch live. I prefer to record and watch later, that way i can fast forward Matthew White's solo segments or any thing with Tom Williams or any network celebrity who is having "my first time at the V8s but i'm really enjoying it." I can also fast forward through any pre-recorded clip that has already been shown at least once that weekend.

I save myself heaps of time and some aggro by doing this and it allows me to watch at night. In the daytime, I'm working in the shed, not watching TV.
Yeah same here, I might be out 4WDing or on a run with the MX5 Club. Either way I'm not watching all that fluff and all those ads.

BUT the races must be shown in full and not a highlights package. Highlights packages are just horrible.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 09:51 (Ref:3353750)   #135
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
Yeah same here, I might be out 4WDing or on a run with the MX5 Club. Either way I'm not watching all that fluff and all those ads.

BUT the races must be shown in full and not a highlights package. Highlights packages are just horrible.
BHP revolutionised motor sports coverage with their BTCC highlights programs in the late 80s.

If done properly highlights can work and may attract the casual viewer.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 01:52 (Ref:3354103)   #136
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
The 20/twenty cricket is an interesting comparison. Been on pay previously and I'm led to believe was not rating well and not getting big crowds, gone FTA and the ratings and the crowds are bigger.
20/20 Big Bash on Foxtel rated quite well (for exclusive pay TV content) and attracted decent crowds. This success created demand for the product which was the reason there was a bidding war and why FTA Ch10 eventually picked it up when the broadcast rights became available.

I am hoping the coverage on Foxtel will provide live ad free races or at least use the NASCAR/Indycar technique of showing ads side by side with the live race coverage.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 09:52 (Ref:3354181)   #137
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
Adding to this... Could we see a return to the V8SC telecasts of old with no coverage on Saturday, followed by a full replay of Saturday's race/s and the Sunday morning race, ending with the Sunday afternoon race live on FTA?

Of course, this all depends on race meeting format, qualifying format etc, but this echos what a few others of said of the viewer needing an incentive to subscribe to Foxtel. It won't bring in everyone obviously, but the incentive of everything live would be tempting to some.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 16 Jan 2014, 03:54 (Ref:3354545)   #138
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Adding to this... Could we see a return to the V8SC telecasts of old with no coverage on Saturday, followed by a full replay of Saturday's race/s and the Sunday morning race, ending with the Sunday afternoon race live on FTA?

Of course, this all depends on race meeting format, qualifying format etc, but this echos what a few others of said of the viewer needing an incentive to subscribe to Foxtel. It won't bring in everyone obviously, but the incentive of everything live would be tempting to some.
Unlikely. That was back in the day when there were no races on Saturday and single-channel FTA stations.

Every round (exc Bathurst) has Saturday races and are events and C10 has the option of the main channel or OneHD to telecast races.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 05:50 (Ref:3354564)   #139
M Jones
Rookie

M Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say Foxtel / Channel 10 would be thinking along the lines of what Sky NZ / Prime TV have done. Hopefully not so harsh for you Aussies though. Us kiwis only got the Puke round free to air last year.

I wouldn't take the comments of V8SC spokesmen too seriously, as they don't control Foxtel / Channel 10 who will own the coverage.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 06:25 (Ref:3354577)   #140
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Jones View Post
I'd say Foxtel / Channel 10 would be thinking along the lines of what Sky NZ / Prime TV have done. Hopefully not so harsh for you Aussies though. Us kiwis only got the Puke round free to air last year.

I wouldn't take the comments of V8SC spokesmen too seriously, as they don't control Foxtel / Channel 10 who will own the coverage.
I'm not sure why everyone's being so pessimistic. Maybe the worst might happen - which is what Peter McKay wrote and was linked to earlier.

But I really don't think so.

True a long time ago C7 abused the rights and showed highlights of the ATCC at ungodly hours in the southern states. But there are three fundamental differences from then to now:
1) They only had 1 channel and it was for AFL
2) They didn't want the ATCC - they only wanted Bathurst but had to take ATCC as part of the deal.
3) They were paying stuff-all for the rights, got all their money back from Bathurst and didn't really care.

That all changed in 1997 when C10 took over the rights.

For 2015 - they are stumping up some serious coin for it. Yes Foxtel will pay more, but it's still a significant investment for a cash-strapped station. They need to do a good job to get their money back. So their is an incentive for them in a business sense rather than as a goodwill gesture to the sport.

I don't expect that the actual FTA viewing experience will change that much in 2015 to what it is now. The major difference is that you can get more if you're willing to pay for it.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3354603)   #141
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Unlikely. That was back in the day when there were no races on Saturday and single-channel FTA stations.
In 2006 there were Saturday races, and Channel 10 didn't show the 'in football season' Saturday races until late at night

Quote:
2) They didn't want the ATCC - they only wanted Bathurst but had to take ATCC as part of the deal.
The ATCC rights were never part of a TV rights deal with Bathurst until 1997, they were completely seperate.

CAMS handled the ATCC TV rights, the Bathurst promoters handled the Bathurst TV rights (which from 1988, ch7 were part of the organising team)
Old 16 Jan 2014, 21:51 (Ref:3354920)   #142
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
In 2006 there were Saturday races, and Channel 10 didn't show the 'in football season' Saturday races until late at night
Ok - being from Sydney wasn't aware of that.

Quote:
The ATCC rights were never part of a TV rights deal with Bathurst until 1997, they were completely seperate.

CAMS handled the ATCC TV rights, the Bathurst promoters handled the Bathurst TV rights (which from 1988, ch7 were part of the organising team)
They were in the 80s. Maybe not officially, but they were told that they couldn't have Bathurst unless they took on ATCC.

But none of that contradicts my main point - C10 are paying good money, they have up to 3 stations to use - why would they mess it up?
Old 17 Jan 2014, 06:26 (Ref:3355029)   #143
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They were in the 80s. Maybe not officially, but they were told that they couldn't have Bathurst unless they took on ATCC.
Why would the ARDC tell Ch7 they couldn't televise their Bathurst (which they had done since its inception) race unless they televised a series organised by someone else?

It is stated in one of the "Australia's Greatest Motor Race" books that Channel 7 signed a long-term deal with the ARDC to continue to televise Bathurst from 1979, and the partnership was solidified in 1988 when Channel 7 bought into the race to help solve the ARDC/AMP/PROMO mess

The ATCC television rights were with Channel 2 in the early-mid 80s while ch7 only showed Bathurst and the AMSCAR Series (the AMSCAR Series was no doubt tied to the Bathurst deal).

Seven did start showing the ATCC in 1985 (while the endurance races still bounced around on Channel 2 or were not shown at all), and for something that was supposedly 'forced upon them' they gave it alot of airtime, particularly between 1985 and 1989.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 00:02 (Ref:3356043)   #144
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Why would the ARDC tell Ch7 they couldn't televise their Bathurst (which they had done since its inception) race unless they televised a series organised by someone else?

It is stated in one of the "Australia's Greatest Motor Race" books that Channel 7 signed a long-term deal with the ARDC to continue to televise Bathurst from 1979, and the partnership was solidified in 1988 when Channel 7 bought into the race to help solve the ARDC/AMP/PROMO mess

The ATCC television rights were with Channel 2 in the early-mid 80s while ch7 only showed Bathurst and the AMSCAR Series (the AMSCAR Series was no doubt tied to the Bathurst deal).

Seven did start showing the ATCC in 1985 (while the endurance races still bounced around on Channel 2 or were not shown at all), and for something that was supposedly 'forced upon them' they gave it alot of airtime, particularly between 1985 and 1989.
I said 80s and 90s. Second half of 80s fits in with that.

Bathurst was always on 7. Sandown 500 was on ABC at times, because nobody else would take it.

They gave it air time where it suited them because they had an investment in it. But ask anybody who tried to watch it during winter in Melbourne about the job they did.

Regardless of all this ancient history, my points about the 2015 deal still stands, which is what we should be discussing.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 09:37 (Ref:3360412)   #145
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
IMG To Manage V8Supercar Distribution Globally

Was this announced anywhere???
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Jan 2014, 10:12 (Ref:3360427)   #146
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
IMG To Manage V8Supercar Distribution Globally

Was this announced anywhere???
Smart move, contract out service, less overheads(no V8 Staff). More for the new boss Warburton to improve the bank balance
Old 27 Jan 2014, 12:29 (Ref:3360474)   #147
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Little bit back to the future?
Old 17 Feb 2014, 05:26 (Ref:3369244)   #148
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/02/17/...e-air-details/
Apparently only 6 events will be live on FTA next year.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 05:43 (Ref:3369247)   #149
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by naca View Post
Does anyone else find it unusual that the Fin Review seems to know more about the events and happenings deep inside the V8SA enclave than even their CEO has been able to divulge?

A cynic might suggest that a recent sponsor chase article in that newspaper, and the constant flow of information from a silent source to that newspaper may somehow be linked

Presuming any of this actually happened?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Feb 2014, 05:45 (Ref:3369248)   #150
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by naca View Post
Guess the key will be what 'delayed' means. Not all the races are shown live now anyway so if it it's a delay of an hour or two to package up the broadcast into something more efficient - great.

If it's delay so that you won't see it until late at night - very very bad.

I still cannot see the logic of doing that given they have 3 channels and, quite frankly - stuff-all content on them now.

Unless it's part of a non-compete clause in the Foxtel/C10 agreement.