Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Mar 2018, 06:06 (Ref:3805117)   #451
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I mean the racing isn't as good as the old utes but it wasn't bad. With larger grids it will get better.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 06:07 (Ref:3805118)   #452
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
I don't mind them. 1st race they showed potential for the future with some close racing however most were playing it safe due to lack of testing.

Not a fan of the tyre squeal though - be great if they could make a change there.

Clearly much work still to do but definitely glimmers of potential there - not all doom & gloom I reckon.
I thought it was fun, the fact they're on road tires is where all the squeal comes from. Once they get a racing tire made they'll be better.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3805191)   #453
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
I say a round of applause for the teams that moved from V8 Utes to Superutes.

These teams have committed to change over to a new car with a completely different engine..........I wonder how many Supercar teams will be running the twin turbo V6 this year......

It's a sad state of affairs when the best teams in the country are shown up by a support category who are willing to take a risk on something new and very different to what they were used to.
This in a nutshell.

That Supercars have been dragging their feet on getting the series off the ground, and not being able to sell it to interested parties, is not the doing of the teams involved.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 02:25 (Ref:3805351)   #454
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why does everything have to be preceded by Super? The only things "super" about these utes is how boring they are to watch, how poorly they handle ( as expected ), and how little go they have. Only 10 out there, 1 on it's lid in the very first session ( as expected ), 1 lunched motor ( aren't these things supposed to be stock, so an ecu problem? ), not a very stellar start ( as expected ).

At least I get a couple of chances in the days' coverage for toilet / lunch / mow the lawns.............
Old 3 Mar 2018, 02:32 (Ref:3805354)   #455
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
Why does everything have to be preceded by Super? The only things "super" about these utes is how boring they are to watch, how poorly they handle ( as expected ), and how little go they have. Only 10 out there, 1 on it's lid in the very first session ( as expected ), 1 lunched motor ( aren't these things supposed to be stock, so an ecu problem? ), not a very stellar start ( as expected ).

At least I get a couple of chances in the days' coverage for toilet / lunch / mow the lawns.............
Could be worse, they could have named them "iUtes" as seems to be the industry standard these days.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 02:47 (Ref:3805360)   #456
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm going to ask a question that might be obvious.... But as much as this series is marketed towards those that buy (or salary sacrifice) and own these vehicles, I question the existence of the passion that enabled the V8Utes series to gain a following.

I just don't think people are passionate or tribal about Colorados or Tritons?
Old 3 Mar 2018, 03:26 (Ref:3805377)   #457
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember when the original V8 Brutes started and everyone seemed to think initially it was a joke of a series, slow and boring and all that.

I think they look alright for what they are and with a few changes there is potential there.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 03:31 (Ref:3805378)   #458
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I just don't think people are passionate or tribal about Colorados or Tritons?
Exactly. I owned one for 12 years. Zero passion, but it served its purpose very well. Daily work and a trip around Oz.
Purchase decisions for these utes are usually based on price, towing and features. A very small portion might be the rusted on Holden / Ford. The Hilux has a small cult following, but that is eroding thanks to the Toyota tax and no longer the best.

I said earlier in this thread. Just cause their successful in the showroom, that doesn't mean it will relate to the racetrack.

I watched 3 laps of these 'super' utes before switching off. Yes, congrats to all teams involved for developing and getting them on track, but BORING!

Sit too high, too quite, too much body roll, look too slow and even with the stickers look like an every day tradie ute.

Those little 4cyl (5cyl for some) diesels have enough issues in the road going counterparts. They'll get real expensive trying to screw more power out of them.

My personal view for more interest.
Change to single cabs with tubs.
As someone else said channel them over the chassis. Think Nascar Trucks.
Proper race tyres.
Change to V6 Petrol power. More grunt, more noise.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 3 Mar 2018, 16:32 (Ref:3805490)   #459
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Why does everything have to be preceded by Super?
Super means 'above' or 'over' and they're certainly higher than most race vehicles...
Old 3 Mar 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3805500)   #460
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
look like an every day tradie ute
Maybe if they had a load of loose building supplies on the back it would make racing more interesting?.
Sponsorship opportunity Bunnings Super Utes.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 22:06 (Ref:3805529)   #461
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to clarify your post their Armco Bender, you would like to see the following happen in super Utes,
1. each Ute is supplied and raced with a dog chained into the back of it,
2. an esky is also fitted into each Ute,
3. each driver will not have a race suit but an approved tradie driving kit of singlet, hard yakka shorts, work socks and tradie boots,
4. some rounds will see the Utes carry the official building site cement mixer tied onto the back of the Ute,
5. other rounds will see lengths of 4x2 carried on the roof bars and tied down,
6. meetings outside the Metro area, sheep can also carried in the ute tray as well.
7. after race the Ute must be weighed before any crapp is removed from inside the cab and this includes fag packets, Big M containers, quote book from last year, BAS statements and used McDonalds wrappers.

The dog eligible for Ute racing must be a kelpie, border collie, labrador, but none of those little yappie breeds will be allowed. At certain events the dog will be able to move from side to side in tray, to help with aerodynamics.

Any protest that the tradie drivers have to attend will incur a weekend penalty rate.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 22:26 (Ref:3805540)   #462
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drivers should also be under the influence of ice, and punch on, whenever they feel aggrieved.

Their race suits should also feature hi-vis, and sleeveless to show off their tattoos.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 22:30 (Ref:3805543)   #463
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Why does everything have to be preceded by Super?
Branding.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 22:58 (Ref:3805555)   #464
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Just to clarify your post their Armco Bender, you would like to see the following happen in super Utes,
3. each driver will not have a race suit but an approved tradie driving kit of singlet, hard yakka shorts, work socks and tradie boots,
4. some rounds will see the Utes carry the official building site cement mixer tied onto the back of the Ute,
6. meetings outside the Metro area, sheep can also carried in the ute tray as well.
7. after race the Ute must be weighed before any crapp is removed from inside the cab and this includes fag packets, Big M containers, quote book from last year, BAS statements and used McDonalds wrappers.

The dog eligible for Ute racing must be a kelpie, border collie, labrador, but none of those little yappie breeds will be allowed. At certain events the dog will be able to move from side to side in tray, to help with aerodynamics.

Any protest that the tradie drivers have to attend will incur a weekend penalty rate.
do you just copy that from a post from about 2001 All the same jokes
Old 3 Mar 2018, 23:16 (Ref:3805563)   #465
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
do you just copy that from a post from about 2001 All the same jokes
yet no less entertaining... far more timeless than the category, it seems.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3805591)   #466
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post

What about parity for the self employed v's the EBA boys who drive the boss's ute and get their 36 hour week RDO's?

Maybe the CFMEU and ETU should oversee this category instead of CAMS...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 4 Mar 2018, 01:45 (Ref:3805605)   #467
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Maybe the CFMEU and ETU should oversee this category instead of CAMS...
No, cos if that happens it'll cost even more and no one will actually race.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 02:00 (Ref:3805607)   #468
Umai Naa
Veteran

They'll be intimidated to race.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 02:13 (Ref:3805612)   #469
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*vigorously encouraged*
Old 4 Mar 2018, 02:14 (Ref:3805615)   #470
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the CFMEU are involved, there will be a grid of least forty utes entered but only ten utes will appear on the grid.

The rest will be off on full pay, union duties, OH&S training, branch stacking, having a sickie or workers comp.

Each round will see a guest driver, this person will drive a super ute with a full load of garden rubbish that isn’t tied down or covered with a tarp, so during the race the contents get left all over the track.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 03:50 (Ref:3805619)   #471
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this terrible series indicative of what local racing in this country has become/is coming to?
Old 4 Mar 2018, 03:53 (Ref:3805620)   #472
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Is this terrible series indicative of what local racing in this country has become/is coming to?
Is it terrible or is it super and representative of the thriving commercial vehicle marketplace, and those who choose to tune up their dualcabs for maximum mumbo jumbo?

Anyway, I think local club racing is still Improved Production, Formula Vee, Circuit Excels and the odd Porsche 911 and Austin Sprite --- the same as always.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3805645)   #473
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought it was a great debut.

The utes look great, sounded different to what we are used to, loved the tyre squeal and the racing showed promised.

Bring on round 2.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 08:40 (Ref:3805647)   #474
Umai Naa
Veteran

I think it'll be a better show once there's more of them.

There were guys out there who were pushing pretty hard, which makes it a bit obvious as to who hadn't gotten it together yet.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 01:41 (Ref:3808456)   #475
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Races are on the teev today, 1pm Sydney time, on #12..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House