Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Nov 2017, 14:19 (Ref:3780184)   #151
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I still think with the car being a diva and having a narrow sweet spot, that all in season development favored hamilton more, since he is the primary driver and they know what works for him more. It's gotta be easier to develop things in a way they know will help hamilton than it is for a new driver to the team. And I seem to remember quotes about the car not really matching bottas' driving style and the team saying that wasn't his fault. So I don't think we have an apples to apples comparison between the two yet.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3780190)   #152
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
to add a thought to that...Bottas was a late signing and i wonder how much of his shortcomings were down to not being as well prepared for 2017 as he could have been, years at Williams would have led him to underestimate what is required of a top tier driver, what it takes to be and stay competitive over the course of a whole season?

i suppose one could say that a season is long enough to get up to speed but i think that also diminishes just how high the bar was set by NR and LH and just how relentless the pressure/pace he had to contend with over this season.

2018 will be the real test, although the one year extension may indicate that he will only have part of 2018 (maybe up until the summer break) to prove he can take the next step.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 17:20 (Ref:3780217)   #153
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
To me he only really made one mistake and that was at the first corner, apart from that I didn't see too much wrong, he was close enough to almost leapfrog him at the first stop, but just wasn't to be
Old 13 Nov 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3780243)   #154
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
To me he only really made one mistake and that was at the first corner, apart from that I didn't see too much wrong, he was close enough to almost leapfrog him at the first stop, but just wasn't to be
Vettel was pretty aggressive into T1... if Bottas hadn't jinked his steering a tad to the right they would have collided.

Vettel's desperate driving again?
Old 13 Nov 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3780244)   #155
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
People are making out like he was miles off or something. In reality, Bottas only finished second to a four time world champion. That's not bad.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3780248)   #156
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
to add a thought to that...Bottas was a late signing and i wonder how much of his shortcomings were down to not being as well prepared for 2017 as he could have been, years at Williams would have led him to underestimate what is required of a top tier driver, what it takes to be and stay competitive over the course of a whole season?
i think there's probably something to this, but only as a direct comparison to rosberg, who worked very hard to make sure he knew the team and car inside out. that's a process that takes longer than a few months.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 19:40 (Ref:3780252)   #157
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

i suppose one could say that a season is long enough to get up to speed but i think that also diminishes just how high the bar was set by NR and LH and just how relentless the pressure/pace he had to contend with over this season.

2018 will be the real test, although the one year extension may indicate that he will only have part of 2018 (maybe up until the summer break) to prove he can take the next step.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think there's probably something to this, but only as a direct comparison to rosberg, who worked very hard to make sure he knew the team and car inside out. that's a process that takes longer than a few months.
Being signed late can't have helped, although he was relatively stronger earlier in the year when a couple of times he just straight beat Hamilton. That doesn't mean it wasn't something that didn't effect the whole year. Maybe, being new to the team, he found it harder to adapt to developments, or to drive those developments to his advantage? It's hard to tell.

2018 will allow him to adapt more. Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Vettel was pretty aggressive into T1... if Bottas hadn't jinked his steering a tad to the right they would have collided.

Vettel's desperate driving again?
For me Vettel was spot on at the start. The perfect level of aggression. Any less than that and we'd never see any overtaking.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 19:54 (Ref:3780256)   #158
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bottas is a decent peddler and I think you make a good point chillibowl. Next season will be the acid test, but this does underline how impressive Nico Rosberg really was. I sense he is forgotten already.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 21:19 (Ref:3780291)   #159
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I sense he is forgotten already.

That's actually very true. How things change in 12 months.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 16:41 (Ref:3780407)   #160
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bottas is a nice guy but destined to follow the path of Kovalainen.

He should have forced Vettel wide at the first corner, gone in too fast if necessary and used the Ferrari as a brake.

He's just not a naturally aggressive guy.You can't teach that, it's either part of your personality or it isn't.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3780422)   #161
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think he could have covered the inside line quicker. Perhaps he felt he would be got on the outside and felt he at least stood a chance on the outside, as he would be on the inside exiting the Senna 'S', but in the end it wasn't enough.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3780435)   #162
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bottas needs to step up next year. He's not justifying his selection just now. Comparison above to Kovalainen is a good shout.

Bear in mind he only got the gig because it was the best option available to Merc. He's doing no better really than Kimi is as the Ferrari #2 and he gets roundly criticised.

In Brazil, the top 4 finished within a few seconds of each other. Vettel was pacing to Bottas and could have gone quicker but didn't need to. Where Hamilton came from, he must have put 30+ seconds into Bottas.

It also shows how good Rosberg was in comparison.

If Bottas is the real deal, he should be able to up his game next year.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 19:19 (Ref:3780440)   #163
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The other way of looking at it is, Mercedes won both titles this year, and had minimal drama between its drivers. Some in Mercedes may see that as doing the perfect job.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 19:27 (Ref:3780443)   #164
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Bottas needs to step up next year. He's not justifying his selection just now. Comparison above to Kovalainen is a good shout.

Bear in mind he only got the gig because it was the best option available to Merc. He's doing no better really than Kimi is as the Ferrari #2 and he gets roundly criticised.

In Brazil, the top 4 finished within a few seconds of each other. Vettel was pacing to Bottas and could have gone quicker but didn't need to. Where Hamilton came from, he must have put 30+ seconds into Bottas.

It also shows how good Rosberg was in comparison.

If Bottas is the real deal, he should be able to up his game next year.
He's won races, which kimi hasn't. He was in the championship hunt first half of year, which Kimi wasn't. Hamilton also benefited from safety car to gain ground as well as having an optimally set up car to conditions. Rosberg had years with the team, helping to develop the car with his inputs. Bottas has had a short off-season with a car not developed to him and updated likely to the other driver's liking above his.

But don't get me wrong, rosberg was really good and prob better than he was given credit for.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 22:39 (Ref:3780486)   #165
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
To be fair on Kimi, the only thing that prevented him winning the same amount of races as Bottas (in Monaco & Hungary), was his team.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 23:34 (Ref:3780494)   #166
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
He's won races, which kimi hasn't. He was in the championship hunt first half of year, which Kimi wasn't. Hamilton also benefited from safety car to gain ground as well as having an optimally set up car to conditions. Rosberg had years with the team, helping to develop the car with his inputs. Bottas has had a short off-season with a car not developed to him and updated likely to the other driver's liking above his.

But don't get me wrong, rosberg was really good and prob better than he was given credit for.
All very very valid points.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 23:54 (Ref:3780495)   #167
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
To be fair on Kimi, the only thing that prevented him winning the same amount of races as Bottas (in Monaco & Hungary), was his team.
That's fair.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 09:56 (Ref:3780539)   #168
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It hasn't been a too bad first season for Valterri, hopefully he'll be able to do better next season. It will be a make or break season for him
Old 15 Nov 2017, 10:00 (Ref:3780541)   #169
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It hasn't been a too bad first season for Valterri, hopefully he'll be able to do better next season. It will be a make or break season for him
He was looking really promising when he won in Austria, since then he has gone walkabout, not an encouraging sign.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 08:05 (Ref:3780690)   #170
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
He was looking really promising when he won in Austria, since then he has gone walkabout, not an encouraging sign.
Wolff puts it down to a lack of aggressiveness.

'Valtteri has recovered slowly but still needs the tick of a killer'
Old 16 Nov 2017, 19:03 (Ref:3780827)   #171
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Wolff puts it down to a lack of aggressiveness.

'Valtteri has recovered slowly but still needs the tick of a killer'
He's not anywhere near aggressive enough and unlikely to make himself be something he's not. He made no attempt to tough it out with Vettel at the start in Brazil when there was scope. The other drivers know he's a soft touch.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 08:50 (Ref:3780919)   #172
S griffin
Veteran

He does need to get his elbows out more if he's gonna be a consistent challenger
Old 17 Nov 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3780951)   #173
RWill2073
Veteran

Some of bottas' non-aggressiveness could come down to making sure to take extra care of the cars and not wreck out too much with his new team. If he had had a string of wrecks or damage from contact throughout the year the team could have soured on him for that.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 23:36 (Ref:3790743)   #174
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Hamilton v Bottas - The numbers by Mark Hughes

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...milton-f1-2017

"he was more competitive in the first half of the season than the second and his confidence seemed to take a knock when he was told at Spa that he would be supporting Hamilton’s title challenge for the balance of the season." Mark Hughes

Did not know this!
Old 4 Jan 2018, 23:43 (Ref:3790744)   #175
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Assuming what the all knowing says is correct is it that his confidence took a knock or he became less motivated.