Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 8 Oct 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3855378)   #251
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I haven't been since 2000, the first year of the new pay rules, and would never go back in its current state. We paid a fair bit to get car park priority only to find it affected the last few yards of the queuing system and really it seemed a cash cow more than a real method of making it easier to travel between stages.

I disagree with it being in Wales, and with it even being called Rally GB, when it is not.

Having said that, if you know were to go, I can imagine it's good fun. Did it cost you much?

Went to Roger Clark last year but that was ruined by the stage we were on being cancelled and others with no spectators, ran, typical of the sort of crap MSA clubs do I am afraid.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 10:54 (Ref:3855394)   #252
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty good event, the speeds of the top boys are jaw dropping. If you're sensible, you don't have to watch from a 'spectator pen'. There will be the odd marshal who is a jobsworth, but most seem pretty relaxed, if as already said, you're sensible.

But, since last year they've added a £10 overnight car park charge as well as your Stage/ day ticket. If you have a £99 WorldRallyPass, you're exempted (and so you should be).

And on Sunday, Gwydir was the only forest stage run twice - so that's were most people ended up going to = chaos on Saturday night trying to park. I arrived a 20:40 - and didn't get parked up until about 22:15.....

And I have to agree with Chunder; staying in Wales may have kept the event BUT it has become invisible - so inevitably no other region/ sponsor is seemingly interested in hosting it.

Even on here, and other similar forums there are only about a dozen comments; this was once the RAC Rally, which was a massive event.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3855406)   #253
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I've not been to see Rally GB in the flesh - knowing where to watch from is the big problem for me - I don't want to be stuck in a spectator pen with an obstructed view, I want clear view (and photo opportunities) so a bit of stage knowledge would be useful. Also realistically how much can you see in a day? One stage? Two stages?
I haven't been for a lot of years - and I had heard a lot of gripes about getting penned in (particularly on certain stages) which is why I haven't bothered for so long - so I wasn't sure what to expect. I stuck with one stage for the day, as I was told that moving between stages could be tricky and that you might get to another stage to find the car park is full.

Myherin was the most Southern of the stages (so closest to home) and of a decent enough length that there were plenty of different spots to watch from. The marshalls were trying to push everyone to the penned off area, but loads of people were cutting through the trees and heading out into the stage.

I thought the marshalls in the course cars were all really good. I heard nothing but friendly requests for people to move back (or move on for those who were stood in really daft places!) and asking people to make sure they were on their feet when the competitors came through. Bar one or two minor exceptions I didn't any stupidity from the crowd either (which made a pleasant change).

Quote:
The latest generation of cars certainly seem to be a big step up on the previous cars - they look much more aggressive and they have the speed too.
Absolutely. The last of the 2.0 WRCars were very quick, but never looked that loose on the limit: the current cars look both fast and a bit of a handful in places.

Quote:
I'm with you on this - the R5 class has been a real success, there seems to be a good variety of cars available now as well - it was a bit Fiesta heavy at one point. The cars look good, sound good and have enough performance to make them good to watch too (the Skoda is my favourite of the bunch).
Yeah. I appreciate that they aren't as cheap as the Group N cars of old, but I think they are so much more entertaining to watch and there seems to be a really good uptake on the class. Hopefully there will be a few Polo R5's in the mix next year as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Having said that, if you know were to go, I can imagine it's good fun. Did it cost you much?
The day ticket was £27 or £28 each (can't remember: I booked online and can't find the confirmation e-mail now!), plus £10 to park in the car park overnight. I personally didn't think that was too bad as we got to see two passes from the International cars (60 entries) and a single pass from the National cars (80 entries). The tenner for parking was maybe a bit much, but with two of us in the car it was only a fiver each and we ended up parked right by the stage so all our walking was on the stage rather then getting to the stage.

We drove about 90 minutes towards home after leaving Myherin on Saturday and stayed at a Premier Bin that night before doing the rest of the drive home Sunday. By coming away from the rally a bit we got a much cheaper room, we could have done the drive home that night (and got home after midnight), but the stop made it much more enjoyable.

I do agree that it is a bit of a cheek to call it "Rally GB" when the stages are exclusively in Wales but, in my opinion, there aren't many - if any - places in the UK that can offer the same terrain and challenge as Wales.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 17:03 (Ref:3855468)   #254
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As you might imagine, paying that much when you sued to be able to do it for nothing, for what 10 cars.

You can imagine what I might think.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3855473)   #255
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You can imagine what I might think.
Well of course I do: I just imagine the most negative response to any given question and voila, there is your answer.

Quote:
As you might imagine, paying that much when you sued to be able to do it for nothing, for what 10 cars.
10 cars? There were 11 "main" WRCars, but 60 in total in the International class plus another 80 in the National class.

Yeah, it used to be free and, having walked a few miles of the stage, I daresay it wouldn't be difficult to gain access to that stage without paying. That said, I have paid similar (and more) to watch a day of circuit racing and not felt like I have got as much out of it, so I don't feel ripped off.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3855494)   #256
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ogier might steal this from right under the nose of Neuville you know! Hyundai might end with with nothing to show for their efforts if they're not careful. Why is the car seemingly so sensitive to grip levels? It either works or it really doesn't. They really struggled on day one as a result. Last year, I seem to recall the thing understeered horrendously.

Sir Malcolm Wilson was the guest commentator on Redbull TV for the Saturday live stage and listening to him, I was reminded of just how much he, MSport and their backers have invested in young up and coming drivers over the 20 odd years I've been watching the WRC.

More often than not, these youngsters were allowed to make expensive mistakes and mature with Malcolm and MSport and then invariably then moved elsewhere when they were somewhat polished! Petter Solberg and Markko Martin come to mind from the early days when I started watching. Of course, it doesn't always work out (Francois Duval, Roman Kresta) but I can't think of any team principal/team/manufacturer who gave some many drivers their first real step-up.

That man and his team deserves a lot of credit for that sort of service to the sport.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 18:33 (Ref:3855497)   #257
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barely a mention on mainstream media. No wonder Ford aren't keen to provide works money...

It needs to go back to Weston Park and places like that. And why not use the closed road legislation the sport lobbied for? There was only about 300yrds of public road and that was basically the Great Orme approach. Plenty of good lanes in the Midlands and three race circuits within 40 miles of where we live.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 21:49 (Ref:3855535)   #258
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Exactly leo, my thoughts precisely, didnt get much even when Evans won last year.

The speccie stages were awesome fun, but sadly rallying has gone another way, the car are great now, but the rallies are very tame in comparison
Old 9 Oct 2018, 07:45 (Ref:3855603)   #259
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Still better than it was a decade ago
Old 9 Oct 2018, 09:03 (Ref:3855619)   #260
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Oh I agree, the cars are much better now, the battles are closer, there is more than one team that can win.

There have been several peaks of WRC, for me they would be the mid to late 70's and early 80's, the Group B period and the early 90s, plus the WRC era from about 2000 to when Loeb became dominant.

We have a good period now and if Ogier wins the title in a Citroen, he can easily be claimed the best ever, as he would win it in 3 different cars.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 13:47 (Ref:3855682)   #261
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ogier at least has won it in different cars, unlike Loeb, although to be fair, manufacturers were pulling out in Loeb’s era and to be fair Ogier didn’t have much of a choice with VW pulling out
Old 10 Oct 2018, 07:41 (Ref:3855843)   #262
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
We have a good period now and if Ogier wins the title in a Citroen, he can easily be claimed the best ever, as he would win it in 3 different cars.
Yeah, I definitely agree with this. I already think he has done well as M-Sport didn't (and still don't) have the strongest car. If he could go to Citroen and turn around the C3 WRC then that would be mightily impressive.

I see Meeke has been confirmed at Toyota in 2019.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 07:54 (Ref:3855848)   #263
S griffin
Veteran

Meeke for Toyota? Any sources for this?
Old 10 Oct 2018, 08:12 (Ref:3855853)   #264
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Meeke for Toyota? Any sources for this?
Front page of Motorsport News, so it seems a pretty solid source:

Old 10 Oct 2018, 10:18 (Ref:3855876)   #265
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Forgive the double post, but confirmation article now up on Autosport:

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...019-wrc-return
Old 10 Oct 2018, 13:25 (Ref:3855913)   #266
S griffin
Veteran

That’s good, now with a good car, he should go better
Old 10 Oct 2018, 16:57 (Ref:3855947)   #267
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Will Ford hire Lappi?
Old 16 Oct 2018, 08:50 (Ref:3857092)   #268
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
I was there for the spectacle rather than to take pictures, but I couldn't help taking a few snaps in Wales:

Handful more here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57702478514395

If anyone is interested!
Old 25 Oct 2018, 09:15 (Ref:3859058)   #269
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Shakedown for Catalunya and Neuville has rolled it! Not the best start to the weekend for him but the car should be ok. Also of interest Loeb is there in the Citroen for this weekend and Petter Solberg is competing in a Polo R5 - it'll be good to see how he compares to the rest of the WRC2 runners.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 09:19 (Ref:3859059)   #270
S griffin
Veteran

And don’t forget Ken Block is competing too
Old 25 Oct 2018, 09:45 (Ref:3859066)   #271
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Wow, I am sure he will be a huge threat to the R5 leaders lol!
Old 25 Oct 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3859069)   #272
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Shakedown for Catalunya and Neuville has rolled it! Not the best start to the weekend for him but the car should be ok. Also of interest Loeb is there in the Citroen for this weekend and Petter Solberg is competing in a Polo R5 - it'll be good to see how he compares to the rest of the WRC2 runners.
Solberg and Camilli first and second in the shakedown: early days, but it looks like the R5 Polo is (perhaps predictably) competitive.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3859102)   #273
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Probably had millions thrown at it and a lot of data from Skoda, the Fabia is the best selling R5 car and I would imagine VW want that business so will build a totally unbeatable R5 machine.

Ford, Citroen and Peugeot have al ltried and been fairly good, Hyundai too, but the Fabia tends to dominate, quite what Skoda think of this car I dont know!
Old 26 Oct 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3859255)   #274
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This will certainly be interesting, Toyota is really pushing it, Tanak and Latvala both on the top. Lappi with brakes problem.

Tanak making praise of the car, for the second time:
"I can't complain too much, as I said yesterday we're using our Yaris advantage"

Ogier and Neuville have a little more road cleaning, we will see how this turns out tomorrow, but Toyotas are making more and more time difference to catch.
Old 26 Oct 2018, 11:12 (Ref:3859261)   #275
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
Ogier and Neuville have a little more road cleaning, we will see how this turns out tomorrow, but Toyotas are making more and more time difference to catch.
Yeah, Tanak seems perfectly placed to pull out on the leaders today and then have a bit of a margin to defend when they hit the full tarmac stages tomorrow.

Mikkelsen takes SS4, but Tanak is second and increases his lead again. Good time from Loeb in SS4 as well. Ogier currently fifth and Neuville eighth.