Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 11 Oct 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3773676)   #3151
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Midland Bank Milsom Street, that was the one at the top want it? It's now a Loch Fyne fish restaurant. Nat West is a trendy wine bar. Barclays has closed too.

It was a fascinating place to work. Not because of the job itself which was deadly dull, but I was sometimes required to go into the cellars and find the deeds of buildings, paperwork which often stretched back to the Georgian period. Interesting to a frustrated historian such as me. And the building itself was a fine multi-storied Georgian place.

Happy days? Not quite, I couldn't wait to leave but probably the last time I had a regular job - I left in 1984!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
From memory Midland was about 1/3 of the way down the street but that was probably more or less the top as far as commercial properties for the likes of Banks were concerned.

ETA: Well, streetview tells me I am wrong and it's about 2/3 of the way down. Milsom Street used to be a proper street in those days. Looks rubbish now on Streetview.

The bowels of the old and usually purpose built banks were and still can be rather interesting.

Management has recently taken the retirement option when they closed the branch here. Not working in the place and not having to go down to the vaults several times a day seems to have improved her health somewhat and her general demeanour quite a lot.

Last edited by grantp; 11 Oct 2017 at 13:38. Reason: Correction
Old 11 Oct 2017, 15:15 (Ref:3773706)   #3152
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah I was mixing the Midland up with Lloyds.

Old 11 Oct 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3773710)   #3153
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Ah I was mixing the Midland up with Lloyds.

What a banker!
Old 11 Oct 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3773712)   #3154
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
The (seldom-seen) purist in me doesn't really like the S3 shape......an early 4.2 coupe however......
Sorry, a bit late to the party on this one - what the Beeb's article doesn't mention is that this car is one of only six S3 4.2's built, Jaguar's main market in the USA was not interested in the tiddler when they could have the V12 instead. Goes some way to explaining the optimistic estimate especially when 150K would get you a very VERY nice S1 3.8. It's an oddball.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 17:10 (Ref:3773722)   #3155
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Sorry, a bit late to the party on this one - what the Beeb's article doesn't mention is that this car is one of only six S3 4.2's built, Jaguar's main market in the USA was not interested in the tiddler when they could have the V12 instead. Goes some way to explaining the optimistic estimate especially when 150K would get you a very VERY nice S1 3.8. It's an oddball.
Ah, I wondered why it was priced so.... I'm surprised they built 6!
Old 11 Oct 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3773748)   #3156
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
What a banker!
I'll have you know I have the distinction of being Associate of the Institute of Bankers (Failed) (Twice). So I have proof of my banker status!

Old 11 Oct 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3773772)   #3157
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One for Mr. Bell I think ....

https://www.facebook.com/BUVMO/photo...type=3&theater
Old 12 Oct 2017, 05:28 (Ref:3773812)   #3158
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!

Business opportunity?
Old 12 Oct 2017, 08:12 (Ref:3773824)   #3159
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Business opportunity?
I had a similar thought.

But I think a plug-in external battery pack might be a better opportunity - or maybe a "range extender" trailer with auxiliary battery and small generator.

Could be very popular in Oxford in a couple of years from now.

Is it possible to recharge an i3 by towing it and making use of the regenerative braking effect?
Old 12 Oct 2017, 08:17 (Ref:3773826)   #3160
midgetman
Veteran

Sounds like a perfect use for all the Honda karts that which will be made redundant by Vnuk

Old 14 Oct 2017, 06:20 (Ref:3774133)   #3161
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Another first yesterday- I met fellow historic tenther John Elwin at last! Despite the usual Friday nightmare that is our British M'ways, and a satnav that was way off target (French?), John called in on his way to an event at his old school in deepest N Norfolk. (The one with the very cold and very dusty squash courts..... )

Good to meet you John! Hope the journey home is less disrupted....
Old 14 Oct 2017, 06:42 (Ref:3774136)   #3162
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Another first yesterday- I met fellow historic tenther John Elwin at last!
Mike! That is so sad.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3774152)   #3163
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Mike! That is so sad.
I knew we can count on you mon Ami Robert !
Old 14 Oct 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3774154)   #3164
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Mike! That is so sad.
I understand he's known you a long time Bob- but I've never held that against him.....

Old 14 Oct 2017, 16:28 (Ref:3774191)   #3165
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Et voilÃ*, la distribution gratuite continue! Gratuity shop never closes!
You naughty boys
Old 15 Oct 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3774332)   #3166
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I knew we can count on you mon Ami Robert !
Gerard,a s we are such good friends I have a business proposition to share with you.

We have seen on this forum, some discussion about how to keep electric cars running when the battery runs out. I have come up with the perfect solution, and fully intend to dominate the UK market, however, I would be delighted to offer you the opportunity to corner the European side.

Do keep the idea secret until I have completed obtaining patent rights, but for now I can give you an outline of how my system works. With a petrol engine one can carry a can of fuel for emergence use, but this will not help with an electric motor, my solution is to equip a car with a simple lead that can be plugged into the cars cigarette lighter socket. When the battery runs flat you simply plug in the charger into the socket and re-charge the battery, and continue on one's way.

A fortune is there to be made so act quickly and let me know you wish to sign a contract.

naturally I know you will keep this all under you chapeau.

You good mate,

Uncle Bob.
Old 15 Oct 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3774347)   #3167
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
A fortune is there to be made so act quickly and let me know you wish to sign a contract.
Ooh my goodness, Robert, my banker gave me a ring, my wife is in love with me again, my neighbors do love my diesel Bimmer… Even Ric Wood is ready to build a Spice replica and a quad cam I can pay in ten times with free credit fee Whats going on good Uncle, whats going on?

Your business proposal sounds so great to my ears I could give up with my last job, something found here and related to… potatoes!! I'm so enthusiast i could give Mike the Pug hub covers I've been collecting for a while.

True friends dont need any contract, just shake hands! Easy to shake cose we are not young by now…

PS Could you please make a soft lie for me? Just say to my wife its a joke I'm not sure I want her in love with me anymore. An old habit ya no………
Old 16 Oct 2017, 11:09 (Ref:3774463)   #3168
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Time on my hands this morning . We left Portsmouth last night and are now docked in Bresk . Waiting for the storm to pass by then on to Bilbao. Looks like we will loose a few hours but I am told the storm is moving faster than predicted so hopefully not to long . Any news from back home anyone .
Old 16 Oct 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3774493)   #3169
midgetman
Veteran

The £ is on the slide and Brexit talks aren't going very well. There's a storm coming across the Atlantic, but you know about that. Basically covered the Radio 2 two o'clock news there!
Old 16 Oct 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3774504)   #3170
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Time on my hands this morning . We left Portsmouth last night and are now docked in Bresk . Waiting for the storm to pass by then on to Bilbao. Looks like we will loose a few hours but I am told the storm is moving faster than predicted so hopefully not to long . Any news from back home anyone .
The sky has turned a very funny shade of yellowy-orange here but not much wind at the moment...
Old 16 Oct 2017, 14:36 (Ref:3774506)   #3171
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's sunny and 35c here. Lots of wind but that was the beef and bean casserole from yesterday.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3774515)   #3172
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
The sky has turned a very funny shade of yellowy-orange here but not much wind at the moment...
Yes, it was weird. Sahara dust apparently!

Peter, that is almost too much information.....

Well done getting to Brest, Iain, I'm at Portsmouth waiting for the night boat. Kwells at the ready, but looks like winds are dying down slowly.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3774516)   #3173
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Apparently, depending on which weather reporting source you look up, the strange orangeness is either Ophelia picking up a lot of dust from the Sahara or, according to the BBC iirc, the output of a lot of Iberian wildfires.

Anyway, here we still have blustery conditions though it was quite calm this morning. But the clouds are gone and seemingly the high atmosphere dust with them, and the sun is shining and skies are quite blue although right now turning more to what one might describe as "Airforce Blue" than sky blue. Maybe this is the Saharan dust. Or the Iberian smoke.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3774521)   #3174
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, it was weird. Sahara dust apparently!

Peter, that is almost too much information.....

Well done getting to Brest, Iain, I'm at Portsmouth waiting for the night boat. Kwells at the ready, but looks like winds are dying down slowly.
XC Weather seems to be suggesting that winds might be circa 20 -25 mph in the Bay early tomorrow but all looks pretty good after that.

Until Saturday. Saturday seems to be well into the 30mph + range.

At the moment XC Weather only goes to Saturday.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 17:22 (Ref:3774534)   #3175
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well that's that then. Saturday is the end of the world. I'll cancel my Portugal flights then.....
Closed Thread