Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Sep 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2540243)   #51
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
So the QLD Government tips in for Indy/SuperGP, tips in for Townsville, now its expected to tip in again??
Nothing surprising about that... NSW Gov tips in for EC, Bathurst, Homebush. VIC Gov tips in for AGP, MotoGP. Tas Gov for Simmons Plains, etc, etc...
Old 14 Sep 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2540263)   #52
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even though I am not a great fan of the place, surely Queensland raceway, being the only permanent facility in South East Queensland capable of running V8SC, must be the preferred venue over another street circuit, which I am sure TC would be keen on doing if given the chance.
But, then again, could we get any interest in a street circuit around Mt Cootha? Yeah, I know, initially it sounds a bit out of left field, but as a once or twice a year venue, I reckon it could work. TV is close by, it is far enough away from housing and the crappy old road aound the mountain needs an upgrade.
With the millions that state governments around the country are throwing around, it is an interesting thought. Sorry, a bit OT.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 10:13 (Ref:2540304)   #53
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorfoto View Post
So exactly what is the "facilities upgrade" that VESA are demanding ?.

If it's just the removal of the bumps, well that can't cost $5M.

Do they want flash corporate facilities ?, fancy toilets for the punters ?, four-lane highway to the front gate ?, maybe a hill in the middle of the track (already designed) ?.

Remember that JT does not own the venue, he is just the leaseholder, so any "improvements" would have to be in his interests as well as VESA, without being seen to be dipping into public funds to make a private profit.

VESA and JT seem to be united on the push to secure some public funding to help "motorsport" at Willowbank. Not so long ago they seemed to have nothing nice to say about each other.
motorfoto...was that hill designed to go in the infield part of the track do you remember...?

I remember it was killed off due to time/money/weather but I can't remember exactly where it was designed to go...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 15 Sep 2009, 01:01 (Ref:2540884)   #54
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
But, then again, could we get any interest in a street circuit around Mt Cootha? Yeah, I know, initially it sounds a bit out of left field, but as a once or twice a year venue, I reckon it could work. TV is close by, it is far enough away from housing and the crappy old road aound the mountain needs an upgrade.
With the millions that state governments around the country are throwing around, it is an interesting thought. Sorry, a bit OT.
don't they already do a hillclimb event there? if so, not THAT left field
Old 15 Sep 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2540929)   #55
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
linky...

Quote:
QUEENSLAND Raceway's V8 Supercar round has been moved forward from August to May but is marked as "provisional" on the 2010 calendar.

Mark Hinchliffe

September 15, 2009 12:00am

QUEENSLAND Raceway's V8 Supercar round has been moved forward from August to May but is marked as "provisional" on the 2010 calendar.

V8 Supercars executive chairman Tony Cochrane said the Ipswich and Perth rounds would only go ahead if facilities were upgraded.

Queensland Raceway lessee John Tetley said it was difficult to find the estimated $4 million needed for an upgrade.

He said organisers had not yet stipulated what facilities needed to be upgraded but had "hinted" at a pitlane complex with corporate facilities.

"We would invest more if it was worth it, but those developments are more for the teams and the corporates, not for the every-day fans. My mantra is motorsport for the masses," he said.

Tetley said his investments in Lakeside and the Ipswich track had been directed toward "accessible and affordable" club motorsport.

"I think the V8 round has run its course at Queensland Raceway. If it does run again, they (AVESCO) can hire it and run it themselves like they do at Phillip Island and Tasmania," he said.

Sport Minister Phil Reeves said he had asked Sport and Recreation Services and Ipswich City Council to work with Queensland Raceway to secure the annual event, but "no commitments have been made".

"Ultimately, the continuation of the Queensland 300 will be a commercial decision for the owner of Queensland Raceway," he said.

Tetley said governments had poured about $1 billion into street circuits in the past two decades with no permanent infrastructure benefit.

"They should direct more funding into tracks where the permanent facilities can be used by other motorsport, not just V8 Supercars," he said.

"About $165 million has gone into Indy over the years and more than twice that went into Melbourne, then there's Adelaide and this year Townsville and Homebush.

"We would have had three world-class motor racing facilities in Australia like a Nurburgring on the money governments have spent on street circuits.

"At what stage do these governments take some responsibility for the facilities for motorsport like they do cricket and football?"

Tetley pointed out that Queensland Raceway was not privately owned but leased from the Government.

"Would you expect a tenant to spend that sort of money on other people's facilities?" he said.

The 2010 V8 Supercar calendar revealed at the Phillip Island endurance round at the weekend features an early start at a Middle East double-header in February, an extra round, and two compacted seasons with a nine-week mid-season break.

Cochrane said that more compacted halves would give TV viewers a "much-needed, regular viewing pattern"

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 15 Sep 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2540932)   #56
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
linky...

Quote:
Mayor vows he'll fight to keep Supercar race

Zane Jackson | 15th September 2009

IPSWICH Mayor Paul Pisasale said he would fight to keep Queensland Raceway’s V8 Supercar event in town after organisers threatened to scrap the race because of poor facilities.

V8 Supercars executive chairman Tony Cochrane said the track’s facilities needed an urgent upgrade if it was to host the event again, with the event only provisionally pencilled in for next year.
Cr Pisasale said the loss of the long-standing event, which attracts massive crowds of 60,000 plus from all over Australia, would be devastating for business and race fans.

“We really need common sense to prevail. This is an event we can’t afford lose,” Cr Pisasale said yesterday.
“Not only will it affect hotels, restaurants and other businesses that benefit from the crowds, but racing fans will be short-changed because the Queensland Raceway track is the best for spectator viewing.
“I’ve been getting a lot of calls and emails from people who are devastated this might not go ahead.”

Cr Pisasale said he had already contacted the state government about securing funding to improve the facilities at Queensland Raceway.
“Money is put into Townsville and the Gold Coast for two street races, so we’ll see if we can get some help for Queensland Raceway,” he said.
“I’ve spoken to some people in government, and they’re looking to see what we can do.”

Mr Cochrane said he was concerned about the lack of shade, toilet facilities and the amount of dirt spectators had to walk through at the Ipswich track.
V8 Supercars Australia was keen to negotiate with Queensland Raceway about staging next year’s event as soon as possible, Mr Cochrane said.
Queensland Raceway chairman John Tetley was unavailable for comment yesterday but said at the weekend he had not started negotiations with V8 Supercars Australia.

“We’ve had a brief conversation but nothing in the way of negotiation,” he said.
If an agreement can be reached, the race will be moved to the April 31–May 2 weekend to avoid clashing with the Ekka.

Old 15 Sep 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2540960)   #57
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First weekend of May was the traditional date for Lakeside for many years.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2541044)   #58
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
QR, Mothers Day, then Winton - busy May
Old 15 Sep 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2541109)   #59
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Tetley said governments had poured about $1 billion into street circuits in the past two decades with no permanent infrastructure benefit.

"They should direct more funding into tracks where the permanent facilities can be used by other motorsport, not just V8 Supercars," he said.

"About $165 million has gone into Indy over the years and more than twice that went into Melbourne, then there's Adelaide and this year Townsville and Homebush.

"We would have had three world-class motor racing facilities in Australia like a Nurburgring on the money governments have spent on street circuits.
Arh finally someone who gets it.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2541156)   #60
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote from Mr Cochrane:

“What the fans need to understand is the track was built using Queensland taxpayers' money and on dirt owned by Ipswich City Council,” Cochrane said. “I don't think one individual should have the right to lock Queenslanders out of the premier motorsport class in this country.”

Unless of course that individual is Tony Cochrane...
Old 15 Sep 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2541574)   #61
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
TC is certainly ****ing off a lot of people lately with his behaviour and words.

VHRR, Sandown and Phillip Island

John Tetley, Queensland Raceway and Ipswich Council.

Barbagallo and the WA Government

Where will it end?
Old 16 Sep 2009, 02:57 (Ref:2541655)   #62
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm with JT on ths one. Why should he spend millions of dollars of his own money on a track he doesn't own for the benefit of the wealthy professional teams & VESA who visit once a year, when the track's bread & butter, the clubbies who support the venue week in week out will get no discernible benefit?
Old 16 Sep 2009, 03:20 (Ref:2541658)   #63
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
John Tetley said in the paper a couple of weeks ago that the clip runs at a profit without the V8 circus so just maybe...

Old 16 Sep 2009, 03:35 (Ref:2541663)   #64
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
John Tetley said in the paper a couple of weeks ago that the clip runs at a profit without the V8 circus so just maybe...
He wouldn't have made much on V8s this year. Crowds were down, maybe as much as 70% of corporates were missing - most of those at Townsville instead. V8 profits wouldn't pay for V8 extensions.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 04:20 (Ref:2541680)   #65
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
He wouldn't have made much on V8s this year. Crowds were down, maybe as much as 70% of corporates were missing - most of those at Townsville instead. V8 profits wouldn't pay for V8 extensions.
Total Crowd 48,986...16,000 less than last year..

Corporate Bookings...1,049...down...2,139 from last year...

Old 16 Sep 2009, 04:22 (Ref:2541682)   #66
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from all the very valid points made--- is it not the great TC and his henchmen role to get heads in the door? Are they not supposed to be the master promoters --or am I getting that confued with their self promotion?
If these guys are such genius's and the V8 supertaxi show is a great as we keep getting told--- why is the place not full to capacity? Same at Sandown and Phillip Island-- who is the promoter there?
Old 16 Sep 2009, 07:06 (Ref:2541723)   #67
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Phillip Island - VESA is the promoter - struggles to attract big numbers of fans

Tasmania - VESA is the promoter - struggles to make money - gate takings low as numbers that fit in are low

Bathurst - VESA is the promoter - makes heaps

Townsville - ? - appears on the surface to make heaps (I would love to see the balance sheet though)

Sandown - ? - fan numbers low this year

Sydney, Homebush - VESA is the promoter I think.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 07:45 (Ref:2541744)   #68
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There you go Trev- no problems at any of those venues. TC & the crew will be doing such a great job that the crowds will pour in.
All those recalcerints that own circuits and expect to make a profit out of the V8's- just hard to understand you guys!
Old 16 Sep 2009, 07:58 (Ref:2541746)   #69
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VESA the promoters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
There you go Trev- no problems at any of those venues. TC & the crew will be doing such a great job that the crowds will pour in.
All those recalcerints that own circuits and expect to make a profit out of the V8's- just hard to understand you guys!
Hire Q Raceway & do it themselves, problem solved.

Over in WA the lack of noise is deafening, TC may be forced to put up this time & let the teams wear the consequences in their sponsorship budgets.

Interested to see how many volunteers keep doing things for nothing to keep the V8 circus extra profitable.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 08:07 (Ref:2541749)   #70
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Hire Q Raceway & do it themselves, problem solved.

Over in WA the lack of noise is deafening, TC may be forced to put up this time & let the teams wear the consequences in their sponsorship budgets.

Interested to see how many volunteers keep doing things for nothing to keep the V8 circus extra profitable.
Speaking to some officials on the weekend, the general concensus is that they wont be going out of their way to attend V8 meetings after the 500 this weekend. Too much hurry up and wait...
Old 16 Sep 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2541755)   #71
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
Phillip Island - VESA is the promoter - struggles to attract big numbers of fans

Tasmania - VESA is the promoter - struggles to make money - gate takings low as numbers that fit in are low

Bathurst - VESA is the promoter - makes heaps

Townsville - ? - appears on the surface to make heaps (I would love to see the balance sheet though)

Sandown - ? - fan numbers low this year

Sydney, Homebush - VESA is the promoter I think.
We also had the situation in 2003 and 2004 when the ARDC promoted one event at EC, VESA (then AVESCO) to other, with minimal if any difference between the evil ARDC and the supposedly-more professional AVESCO/VESA Events
Old 16 Sep 2009, 21:01 (Ref:2542403)   #72
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Well racer69, that explains why VESA doesn't want to go back to EC, there is no money in it for them. It all becomes clear now.