Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Jan 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1500779)   #1
allanh
Racer

allanh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The watkins Lecture

So, Bernie at the Watkins Lecture, I thought he was a sad joke. Any comments?
Old 13 Jan 2006, 21:17 (Ref:1500797)   #2
snatch man
Rookie

snatch man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great chance lost. Was there any explaination to bernie about who the people he was talking were and what they are about. I have seen members of parliment not as able as mr Ecclestone at not answering questions. And I can not believe the person who was asking the questions took a set of questions from the people in the room and did not say hang on I can't ask this question because I do not understand it (Jeremy Paxman she was not)

Snatch Man
Old 13 Jan 2006, 23:56 (Ref:1500924)   #3
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened?
Old 14 Jan 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1501064)   #4
John Newman
Subscriber
Racer

England
Near, (but not quite) Towcester
John Newman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Transcript.

Q: Did you see Bernie at the NEC?

A: Yeah.

Q: Was there a high level of enlightenment?

A: No.

Q: Did you think he was aware of the nature of the event?

A: Not really.

Q: Did you enjoy it?

A: No.

Q: Would you go again?

A: Not if it cost me money.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1501162)   #5
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don;t know how long the "Lecture" went on for, but I know as much about the man when I went in! It was my first Sid Watkins Lecture and the whole thing was a complete waste of time! He seemed nrevous, unsure of himself and certainly gave the impression he'd rather be somewhere (Anywhere) else! His total disregard for marshals was about the only thing that came accross! It was a disgrace and a slur on the Motor Racing Safety Fund. He should never have been asked. Murry Walker's toothbrush would've been more fun! Thank God we didn't have to pay to get in - appart from the £7.00 car parking charge!
Old 14 Jan 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1501204)   #6
PWH
Rookie

PWH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
watkins lecture

I agree with all that has been said about the Bernie performance,it certainly was a complete letdown and Ifeel that he has shot himself in the foot by showing us what a shallow man he is. His only aim in life seens to be to make money out of anybody he can.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1501381)   #7
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert
I don;t know how long the "Lecture" went on for, but I know as much about the man when I went in! It was my first Sid Watkins Lecture and the whole thing was a complete waste of time! He seemed nrevous, unsure of himself and certainly gave the impression he'd rather be somewhere (Anywhere) else! His total disregard for marshals was about the only thing that came accross! It was a disgrace and a slur on the Motor Racing Safety Fund. He should never have been asked. Murry Walker's toothbrush would've been more fun! Thank God we didn't have to pay to get in - appart from the £7.00 car parking charge!

I felt it was complete and utter pants..
It was the first one I have been to and if I had to make a descision based on that one lecture I would never go again...
Glad I didnt have to pay for the parking though...
Old 14 Jan 2006, 23:06 (Ref:1501386)   #8
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanh
So, Bernie at the Watkins Lecture, I thought he was a sad joke. Any comments?
Could it be that he only agreed to attend under "Friendy Fire"?

Don't forget the "interviewer" was Sid's wife - a friend, and also biographer of his new book!

Pre-arranged, agreed questions??

Shame he didn't know what an 'Incident Officer' was!!

Prepared he wasn't!

But don't care.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 23:08 (Ref:1501388)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits!

Prepared he wasn't!
Some circuits/Countries don't have IO's so I really dont think the jumped up little twonk can be criticised for that!
Old 14 Jan 2006, 23:13 (Ref:1501391)   #10
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Some circuits/Countries don't have IO's so I really dont think the jumped up little twonk can be criticised for that!
Don't beat about the bush - tell us what you really think of him!

Good point, but he KNEW where he was going, so prepare?

But don't care.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 23:19 (Ref:1501394)   #11
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits!
Could it be that he only agreed to attend under "Friendy Fire"?

Don't forget the "interviewer" was Sid's wife - a friend, and also biographer of his new book!

Pre-arranged, agreed questions??

Prepared he wasn't!

It was pretty obvious that the whole scene was rehearsed...
Made it even worse TBH
Old 15 Jan 2006, 00:27 (Ref:1501419)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only thing that surprises me is that anyone is surprised!
Old 15 Jan 2006, 08:59 (Ref:1501523)   #13
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 15 Jan 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1501564)   #14
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly, Woolley. On the TV F1, even Martin Brundle, desperate for someone to interview on the grid (he's not old mates with the drivers like he used to be) doesn't grab Bernie anymore, 'cause he knows he'll get lots of chat, meaning nothing.

Bernie is an Essex man through and through, but he might as well be from Yorkshire - 'See all, Hear all, say nowt', and that's how he got where he is today.

John
Old 15 Jan 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1501654)   #15
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD

Bernie is an Essex man through and through, but he might as well be from Yorkshire - 'See all, Hear all, say nowt', and that's how he got where he is today.

John
Dont tar all us Essex blokes with the same brush, although i wish i had some of his money, and his wife's not too bad looking either - wonder what she first saw in him? hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Hear hear to the general tone of comments - time he went methinks
Old 15 Jan 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1501664)   #16
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
Dont tar all us Essex blokes with the same brush, although i wish i had some of his money, and his wife's not too bad looking either - wonder what she first saw in him? hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........
Remember the Mrs Merton interview of Debbie whatsername - "So what was it that attracted you to millionaire magician Paul Daniels?"

You can take the man out from under the railway arches, but you cannot take the railway arches out of the man! (btw I think that is where Earnie first started his empire, or was that Frank Williams....)
Old 15 Jan 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1501665)   #17
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
The thing that wreeely surprised me was Mrs Watkins was feeding him open questions in a desperate attempt to get the little squirt to at least string more than one sentence together. Sadly her attempts failed at every hurdle! His biography must be about 4 lines long - used to be poor now very rich, thanks for all your money, by the way, I'm still not making enough money out of Silverstone. The End.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 14:26 (Ref:1501668)   #18
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is not so much making money out of Silverstone - an "associate" member of the BRDC has no voting powers. Must be a full member for that and the racing results don't warrant it.

Not saying they should, but if Silverstone wanted to be free of the annual criticism, then there is a solution, ie full membership. But where would that lead to??????
Old 15 Jan 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1501674)   #19
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
They'd have to give a British Passport to El Fayed!
Old 15 Jan 2006, 14:52 (Ref:1501676)   #20
John Newman
Subscriber
Racer

England
Near, (but not quite) Towcester
John Newman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair Play Please!

We have all (including myself) had our little pop at the content of the “lecture”. I for one am fairly miffed having taken a day (unpaid) off work for no real benefit.
But I really feel that our sympathies must lie with the good guys, those at the MSF who acted with the best of intentions and obviously thought they had the scoop of all time. I hope they realise that the comments in this thread are in no way a criticism of them, or the MSF, but possibly a comment on the current nature of the sport.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 14:57 (Ref:1501679)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A very good summary, John. I didn't hear the lecture, but I've heard plenty about it, not just from here. Sounds as if they did us a favour by allowing a clear indication of what the man was really like, just in case anyone either hadn't spotted it or didn't believe it.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1501683)   #22
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
John, my comments were only ever meant to be facetious (hope I spelt that write). I wasn't at the lecture and don't know any details of same. I was just picking up on what was posted here. Let's face it - if you get to a certain level then you have to be prepared for some bad publicity, especially if you appear to under-perform.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1501824)   #23
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is the first time in the 16 years of the Racing Car Show that Bernie has attended, as he does not attend shows as a rule. He left straight after the lecture.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 21:20 (Ref:1501901)   #24
Matt Dillon
Racer

England
Dudley
Matt Dillon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO it came across that all little Bernie is intrested in is where his next 'BUCK' is coming from. Not iterested in the guys & galls on the ground at all.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1501970)   #25
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad I decided not to go! An early decision based on the Guest Speaker!

He nor his cronies have ever treated me with any respect at one of his events, so why should I turn up to hear him speak, and utter what we knew he would, 'b@993r all' of anything worth listening to. He does nothing FREE!!!

R's Jim