Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Mar 2006, 00:27 (Ref:1563856)   #1
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What's this car?

I saw it at Snetterton today, I'm not too clued up on the era that it looks like it's from, can anyone shed any light?

http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/unknown_car.jpg
Old 29 Mar 2006, 03:54 (Ref:1563927)   #2
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Late 50's ...Last of the Front-Engined BRM's? Lines are too pretty to be a Cooper...possibly italian..but in Green?
Old 29 Mar 2006, 04:33 (Ref:1563939)   #3
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aston Martin DBR4/250 - looking better than new!
Old 29 Mar 2006, 06:56 (Ref:1564006)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, agreed David, and absolutely gorgeous. I'll probably put a chassis history in the archive soon on the DBR4, if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 07:16 (Ref:1564019)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whizzo Williams normally races thsi car doesnt he?
Old 29 Mar 2006, 07:33 (Ref:1564026)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are 3 survivors of the 4 built, and Whizzo certainly drove one (DBR4/2) at the Goodwood Revival in 2004.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1565111)   #7
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
There are 3 survivors of the 4 built, and Whizzo certainly drove one (DBR4/2) at the Goodwood Revival in 2004.

I'm open to correction here but I don't think DBR4/2 exists any more. Of the four built one (plus the two later DBR5s) was scrapped by the factory and I think it was number two.
The car Barry Williams has been driving recently is a replica built for David Wenman and it was written up in one of the glossies a few months ago - Classic and Sportscar I think.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1565206)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes James, you are right; DBR4/2 was the non survivor; I misread my source! To clarify then the survivors are DBR4/1, DBR4/3 and DBR4/4. As you say their successors the DBR5 (5/1 & 5/2) were so bad that the factory scrapped both in 1961, probably in disgust!

If the Wenman car is a 'new' replica, then it is the second because Geoffrey Marsh built one up in 1980 from a newly built chassis and body and a few original DBR4 bits! I'll have to try to get this all clarified before posting my chassis thread and I'll also check for the article you mention.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 04:39 (Ref:1565706)   #9
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if this is the car that Whizzo races, then it was out at a test day at Silverstone last year (I think) when I was testing my Formula Ford early in the season. I saw him coming in my mirrors down the back of the Club Circuit. I deliberately moved over & let him pass just to see & hear what it was like-glorious stuff!
Old 31 Mar 2006, 06:39 (Ref:1565805)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Critcher
if this is the car that Whizzo races, then it was out at a test day at Silverstone last year (I think) when I was testing my Formula Ford early in the season. I saw him coming in my mirrors down the back of the Club Circuit. I deliberately moved over & let him pass just to see & hear what it was like-glorious stuff!
no disrespect Gary but I think he would have overtaken you anyway!!!!
Old 1 Apr 2006, 02:15 (Ref:1566627)   #11
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
er.........probably true!! lol
Old 5 Apr 2006, 02:24 (Ref:1571045)   #12
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
no disrespect Gary but I think he would have overtaken you anyway!!!!
cheeky boy! made me laugh though!

must have sounded yummy, what sort of engine would it have in it, an inline 6?
Old 5 Apr 2006, 06:59 (Ref:1571123)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, an in line 6 indeed. If a 2.5 litre, probably an RB6/250 or if 3-litre an RB6/300 like in the DBR1 sports car. They sound terrific!