Old 5 Feb 2008, 14:00 (Ref:2121644)   #1
Sonic27
Rookie

United Kingdom
Devon
Sonic27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New member - New marshal

Hello.
Found this forum having had a dig through the web and seems a good place to be!
I have recently signed up with BARC and do my first day on the 1st March, training at Thruxton.
What are your views on joining BMMC??
Will no doubt have lots of questions, Cheers.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 14:09 (Ref:2121650)   #2
MatthewC
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Wales
MatthewC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there, I too am new to this forum, but have been marshalling since July 07, only done 1 event though. The forums are good and friendly. You will enjoy it.

Matt.

Campaign to get Alfa Romeo back into the WTCC!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 14:33 (Ref:2121665)   #3
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hello to both of you I'm another newbie, I started marshalling in August last year and since then I've done eight events. I've found this website to be a great source for answering questions - everyone seems to be very willing to share their knowledge and experience, so don't be afraid to ask!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 14:45 (Ref:2121673)   #4
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi,you three, and welcome to our merry bunch of nutters.
There was a recent new marshal thread which you might find informative. You can find it here:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103207
Old 5 Feb 2008, 15:12 (Ref:2121685)   #5
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi and welcome to the mad world that is orange.

just about any question can be answered here in tenths there is a huge collective knowledge base lurking with in
Old 5 Feb 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2121718)   #6
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome to the three of you, and all other trainees. It was good to see so many at the recent training days.
Please feel free to ask any questions you want, there is no such thing as a stupid question, we were all in your position once.
Especially went you are on the bank, or where ever, if there is ANYTHING you are not sure about, ask. We won't bite and we need all the marshals we can get.
Above all stay safe and have fun!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2121724)   #7
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the newcomers to the great family of marshalling . Sonic asked about joining the BMMC - it's the only club existing solely to promote marshals' interests and in my view deserves support. It also provides extra insurance cover while at or travelling to/from events
Old 5 Feb 2008, 16:20 (Ref:2121738)   #8
GPgirl
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lancashire
GPgirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hiya, I'm new too, hope you find this forum as useful and friendly as I have!
I've been on my first training day recently and it was very informative and good fun. Alot of my questions were answered there as well as on here.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2121783)   #9
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi and welcome to orange world
Old 5 Feb 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2121852)   #10
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi to all of you, welcome the mad world of marshalling and tenths. As previously said, ask any questions you like, even if they seem trivial. I am the '' New Marshal Liason Officer'' for the South Mids region of the BMMC, a club certainly worth joining. If any of you find your way to Silverstone, Rockingham, Mallory Park or Donington Park just ask someone to point me out, and I'll be glad to be of any assistance I can
Old 5 Feb 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2121854)   #11
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

I'm also new to the forum, attended this and last years training events and 2 events last year.

Just sent my volunteering form for this year and looking forward to this season at Oulton.

I have been a member of BRSCC all of last season and just joined BMMC, they give lots of support for the marshals and there membership is a small amount opening up discounts on things like overalls therefore would recommend it.

Dave
Old 5 Feb 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2121875)   #12
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to all the newbies & just remember,
you might think your question is obvious or silly
but it ain`t
Have fun & be safe
Old 5 Feb 2008, 20:27 (Ref:2121923)   #13
Sonic27
Rookie

United Kingdom
Devon
Sonic27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well thanks for the replies...what a friendly bunch you are!!!
I think I will be joining the BMMC, I spoke to a chap on the phone from the BMMC and a lot of what he said made sense.
He also told me to download and complete an MSA marshal registration card from the site and they will send it on to the MSA suitably endorsed.
So off to get some funky orange waterproofs and then get myself a pair of snazy overalls....
Any advice on the overalls front, I have seen the ones available from AWS and also BARC but is there a favourite/best type?
See I said there would be questions!!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2121986)   #14
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny I've always called them overalls because after all thats what they are!
Old 6 Feb 2008, 10:20 (Ref:2122300)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellB
Funny I've always called them overalls because after all thats what they are!
Overalls, boiler suit, romper suit, Babygro's, etc., etc......call 'em what you will!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 23:11 (Ref:2122035)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome all. It's very refreshing to have so many new marshals and so many new members. As you can see, you can ask anything and often people are so friendly you'll get 5 or 6 answers, only some of which are conflicting!

Overalls, Probans, ovies, baby-gros, smelly dogs (just get them wet), oranges (or blacks, blues, faded pinks), we all know what you mean. The main thing is, just enjoy yourself and don't worry to much about the technicals, all will become clear after about 15 years or so!

And if you do say or do something stupid, don't worry, it's very unlikely you'll be the first or the last to do it, and many of us already will have done. We'll pretend we haven't, of course, but it won't be true.

Best advice I ever saw for a newbie - if you see a group of people in overalls standing having a chat, don't be afraid to join the group. You'll always be welcome.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 23:57 (Ref:2122063)   #17
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
all will become clear after about 15 years or so!
So, why is it all still so hazy after 17 years?

Welcome to the new people - motorsport needs you! Please encourage all your relatives, neighbours, friends, enemies and workmates to join our happy band of nutcases
Old 6 Feb 2008, 09:53 (Ref:2122282)   #18
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome all.

As others have said, don't be afraid to ask questions. It's the only way to learn.

VSCC do some nice overalls at a subsidised price.

If you need a waterproof jacket annd you are going to Oulton see H. He was doing some old style jackets at £10.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2122312)   #19
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And the best thing to wear under your ovies is the Ten-Tenths long sleeve shirt

image.jpg
Old 6 Feb 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2122331)   #20
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
Never miss an opportunity for a plug!! What ever happened to the 10 Tenths sew-on patch?? I was going to order one but I can't find them. And since I mention patches (and to stay on topic), I have a patch with my blood group - after all, "Motorsport Is Dangerous" as the signs keep reminding us! If anyone is interested, you can order one from here. And Grant, the patch is on my left sleeve in case you're the one peeling me from a tyre wall

Last edited by Burnsie; 6 Feb 2008 at 10:56. Reason: Terrible, dreadful, and disastrous grammar
Old 6 Feb 2008, 11:03 (Ref:2122343)   #21
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie
Never miss an opportunity for a plug!! What ever happened to the 10 Tenths sew-on patch??
The supplier stopped making them for us, so they are now a rare item. And before you ask, nope, I don't have any spare ones left. It's on my "to-do" list of things to get made up though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie
I have a patch with my blood group - after all, "Motorsport Is Dangerous" as the signs keep reminding us! If anyone is interested, you can order one from here. And Grant, the patch is on my left sleeve in case you're the one peeling me from a tyre wall
The thing with patches for blood groups (or even lettering on the door of cars) is pretty much ignored. Why? Because it's not necessarily "you" that's wearing the overalls or in the car. Rescue units don't carry blood for transfusions anyway, we carry fluids and plasma replacements designed to get you to a hospital where they WILL type-match your blood before doing any transfusions.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2122359)   #22
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
The thing with patches for blood groups (or even lettering on the door of cars) is pretty much ignored. Why? Because it's not necessarily "you" that's wearing the overalls or in the car.
Point taken, and Jen has told me the same, although I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing that others are concious of your blood group - particularly those with uncommon groups.

And thanks for the info on the patch, I won't pester you about not having them in stock.... yet
Old 6 Feb 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2122338)   #23
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Attachment 18971
Or if your realy brave

Old 6 Feb 2008, 11:04 (Ref:2122344)   #24
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazza
Or if your realy brave

We know of at least 4 people that have these and one that has worn it under her ovies.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 17:26 (Ref:2122595)   #25
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We know of at least 4 people that have these and one that has worn it under her ovies.

I am so glad that you said HER and not HIM. I could see the nightmares approaching.